Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing between Boxster, SLK, Z4 & S2000

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:55 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get an 05 or 06 S2000 (with revised rear suspesnion) and wait until you the prices on the 987S come down to your target. You seem to be concerned with value and the S2000 is as good as it gets and buying a CPO in warranty 987S will lessen the painful depreciation hit. You might also consider the new Pontiac 260 HP Solstice.

The SLK is a cruiser, too much weight in that retractable top to be true sports car.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you wan't the best get the 987.

The S2000 is great "on the cam", but below VTEC it's got the acceleration of a Civic and the handling (although improved on the new AP2's) is snapish.

The Z4 and SLK have good power, but they fall short of the Porsche's handling.

Bottom line, they all drive great, until you hop into a Boxster and then they start to pale by comparison (perhaps that's why the Boxster tends to win the magazine comparo's).

As far as your height goes, they make a "Tall Man bracket" for the 986 that lowers the drivers seat. I don't know if Porsche makes this bracket for the 987, but you could check in a new thread.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having owned both Boxster S and Z4, the Z4 is much better as a daily driver. If you want to carve the road with surgical precision, then there's no contest as the Boxster S rules. However, the interior feels tight compared to the Z4. And the daily driving amenities of the Z4 is much better than the Boxster (killer stereo, heated seats, ingress/egress, interior storage, low end torque, better engine response, much more quiet on the highway, better climate controls, faster power top, etc.). I suggest you look into the Z4 3.0 si with 255 hp. When you test drive it, consider the daily driving aspects of it (lighter steering when sport button turned OFF - make parking and tooling around nice and easy, killer stereo, better conversation with wife/s.o. when driving at highway speeds, better low end torque, better sounding engine at low rpms, etc.).

But for the superior driving dynamics, the Boxster S wins out: better brakes, better clutch feel, better steering (although stiff for grocery getting), better fitting seats (compared to the standard Z4 seats, the M seats are awesome, however). At higher rpms (past 4k), the engine comes alive and the engine sound completely changes - sounds like a train that's not gonna stop - very addicting. But I realize that in daily driving around town, I'm rarely past 4k. The Boxster S feels like a slug compared to my old 225 hp Z4 3.0i. The Boxster S has much better luggage space also.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Red face

Originally Posted by M3Armand
Having owned both Boxster S and Z4, the Z4 is much better as a daily driver. If you want to carve the road with surgical precision, then there's no contest as the Boxster S rules. However, the interior feels tight compared to the Z4. And the daily driving amenities of the Z4 is much better than the Boxster (killer stereo, heated seats, ingress/egress, interior storage, low end torque, better engine response, much more quiet on the highway, better climate controls, faster power top, etc.). I suggest you look into the Z4 3.0 si with 255 hp. When you test drive it, consider the daily driving aspects of it (lighter steering when sport button turned OFF - make parking and tooling around nice and easy, killer stereo, better conversation with wife/s.o. when driving at highway speeds, better low end torque, better sounding engine at low rpms, etc.).

But for the superior driving dynamics, the Boxster S wins out: better brakes, better clutch feel, better steering (although stiff for grocery getting), better fitting seats (compared to the standard Z4 seats, the M seats are awesome, however). At higher rpms (past 4k), the engine comes alive and the engine sound completely changes - sounds like a train that's not gonna stop - very addicting. But I realize that in daily driving around town, I'm rarely past 4k. The Boxster S feels like a slug compared to my old 225 hp Z4 3.0i. The Boxster S has much better luggage space also.

Not sure I agree with your comments, my car has heated seats, and a 11 speaker Bose Stereo that sounds awesome, if you select the PASM option and choose 17inch tyres then the daily commute can be very soft. I drive my car 120 miles aday and I am not complaining. I am not sure how fast the Z4 roof goes up and down, but the roof on the porker goes up in 12 seconds and can be operated at upto 31mph. That’s pretty fast. Also the engine sound in the 987S at 3K sounds awesome, has anyone else noticed this, for some reason it sounds great just changing at 3k, it makes a wonderful sounding bass noise when accelating through the gears and changing at 3K. I cannot think of a more alive sound, lots of my friends have commented on this, I must admit I am looking forward to going skiing in France next year and really opening the car up as you go into and out of one of those Alpine French tunnels.

Why don’t you have a read of this... Z4 comes a disappointing 7th in this test while the boxster 987S goes away with the 2nd spot. Only losing out to the number 1 position on price.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....9&print_page=y

Yes The BMW may have more Torque lower down the rev range, but the Boxster does have the most powerful engine and produces more Torque at only 800 more rpm than the Z4.

Torque
Porsche Boxster 987S = 236 lb-ft torque at 4700
BMW 3.0i = 214 lb.-ft. of torque at 3900

*In comparison, I am note sure what the Boxster S Torque output is at 3900rpm.

During a long weekend, I did test drive a Z4 at the Nurburgring last year and was very disappointed with the interior especially the dash board which is bland, int space was also cramp, not as good as the Porsche, on the plus side the handling felt good and predicatble, but brakes did fade poorly. Personally I would not consider a Z4 over a Boxster 987S. I think the people in the article tend to know what they are talking about!

Last edited by Michael Cain; 10-19-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by Mad_Hun
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of choosing between the above named cars, and I wanted to get your thoughts. I've been a car enthusiast most of my life, and finally find myself in a place where I can afford a legit sports car! Brief synopsis of what I'm looking for: daily driver, but only to be driven about 8 miles a day on weekdays and for weekend road trips <250 miles, some autocrossing. My one problem is that I'm 6'4" and fit is proving to be a problem.

My budget tops out at around $50k, and I'd like to be somewhat below that, so unfortunately a 987 Boxster S seems out of the running. I test drove an 03 986 S, and was quite disappointed by the space and the considerable squeaks and rattles. Just to be specific, in regards to space, my knee was having problems clearing the wheel upon releasing the clutch and my head was rubbing the headliner (it had the hardtop on). So, I'm now considering a 987 base Boxster, as it's not too far down on power versus the 03 S and I'm hoping the greater adjustability of the steering wheel will afford me a little more clearance. Also, I know the 987 is considerably stiffer than the last gen, so I'm assuming the squeaks and rattles would be obviated. Does anyone my height drive a 987? How's the fit?

I also tested an SLK350. I liked it very much: tight structure, good ride, quiet, excellent quality, impressive power (especially midrange) and good grip. Most importantly, I fit beautifully. I had ample head and leg room, and actually had to scoot the seat up a little. Alas, the steering was a little wooden, and it didn't have that instantaneous go-kart feel / response. Thus, I think it would make an excellent daily driver, but I question its autocrossing prowess.

Finally, I've managed to drive an S2000. I loved the handling and steering. Response was immediate and crisp. Power wasn't bad, obviously it's not a torque-monster, but I can live with that. Room was tight, but I don't care much about width as I'm fairly thin. Leg room was just acceptable. My leg doesn't totally clear the wheel upon releasing the clutch, but it was still better than the 986. Head room was close. Basically, I like this car and I love the price, but I'm just wondering whether I can live with it as a daily driver. But it would be fun to auto-x!

Still waiting to drive the Z4, although I've read that the steering isn't wonderful and the ride is harsh. I'm not a fan of run-flats.

I realize this is a Porsche board, so obviously I'm going to get somewhat biased responses, but I'm hoping to get your feedback on whether someone my size lives with a 987 daily, and if you auto-x or track the car, how a base 987 stands up against the other cars I've named here.

Thanks!

Hi Mad_Hun,

I might as well point this out, In this test you can read what the experts say regarding The BMW Z4 vs Boxster S vs Honda S2000 vs SLK 350.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....9&print_page=y

Regards

Michael
Old 10-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Mad_Hun
AutoX

Well, thanks for all your advice. I actually put a deposit down the other night . . . on an 06 Z4 3.0si!!

I agree that ultimately the 987S is the superior sports car, but for me the fit was too tight. I guess my legs are simply too long. In contrast, I had ample leg and head room in the Z4. That being said, I think I could have tolerated the fit in the 987, but the price difference is too large. BMW has some serious incentives to move the last of the 06s, and when the dealer threw out a number out for me, I was honestly shocked - about 20% off of sticker! That, combined with BMW's 4 years of maintenance made it a deal I couldn't refuse.

Perhaps the next gen Boxster will gain another inch or two in legroom, and then I'll ante up for it. But once again, thanks for your help!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mad_Hun
Well, thanks for all your advice. I actually put a deposit down the other night . . . on an 06 Z4 3.0si!!

I agree that ultimately the 987S is the superior sports car, but for me the fit was too tight. I guess my legs are simply too long. In contrast, I had ample leg and head room in the Z4. That being said, I think I could have tolerated the fit in the 987, but the price difference is too large. BMW has some serious incentives to move the last of the 06s, and when the dealer threw out a number out for me, I was honestly shocked - about 20% off of sticker! That, combined with BMW's 4 years of maintenance made it a deal I couldn't refuse.

Perhaps the next gen Boxster will gain another inch or two in legroom, and then I'll ante up for it. But once again, thanks for your help!
No Worries, enjoy your car.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Another inch or two of legroom would be very nice!
Best of luck with your Z4.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:22 PM
webnuts4u2
Track Day

I'm 6'1" and an embarrassing 225. I fit nicely in my 987. Getting in and out is more of a challenge than anything else, but once I'm in it's very comfortable. I wish the seat would go back a little more. I'm always up against the back wall to be really comfortable, which I don't like. I guess I need a 911 (that's what I tell my wife). Actually, it's a 3rd car for me so I drive it rarely but I could use it comfortably as a daily driver (25m) if I wanted to. IMHO, there is no comparison between a Porsche and the other cars you mentioned. When I was looking I drove all these but the Mercedes but drove a 350Z instead. Once I drove the Boxster I was sold.
I didn't like the Z4, too rough, not very refined. The 350Z was ok but I felt like I was sitting too low. The S2000 was ok, had to keep it wound up though. It's certainly less expensive. At the end of the day, Porsche, there is no substitute. Good luck, it's fun just test driving.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Mad_Hun
AutoX

Originally Posted by webnuts4u2
I didn't like the Z4, too rough, not very refined. The 350Z was ok but I felt like I was sitting too low. The S2000 was ok, had to keep it wound up though. It's certainly less expensive. At the end of the day, Porsche, there is no substitute. Good luck, it's fun just test driving.
I don't think I'd call the Z4 rough or unrefined. The 987 definitely has sharper steering and quicker responses (hey, all that engine mass is in the middle), but I doubt it trumps the Z4 in refinement.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:52 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

The Z4 is a nice car.
It's primarily the looks of it that I can't get myself into.
It's got a duck butt!

The 987S is a far superior car in my opinion. If only I could fit in it more comfortably....
Old 10-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 279 Posts

You need to compare the Mz4 against the 987s. If daily driving comfort and amenities are your priority, that's the car to have (it's even less ugly

I still prefer the more athletic responses and drop dead good looks of the Box S, but all of that torque is attractive in a daily driver.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Michael Cain
Instructor

BWM has the M Z4, when is Porsche going launch the killer Boxster S Turbo. 480BHP Boxster Turbo S (borrowed from the 997 Turbo) would end the war with BMW once and for all. All Porsche has to do it press the production red button.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:03 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael Cain
BWM has the M Z4, when is Porsche going launch the killer Boxster S Turbo. 480BHP Boxster Turbo S (borrowed from the 997 Turbo) would end the war with BMW once and for all. All Porsche has to do it press the production red button.
Honestly I don't think that they need to. Even the M Z4 hasn't been able to beat the Boxster S in any of the magazine comparo's. The 987 is the superior car in just about every catagory but hp, but the 987 makes it up in other ways. I know of a ton of people that go from BMW to Porsche, but not many that do the opposite.

Porsche, there absolutely is no substitute!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Michael Cain
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Honestly I don't think that they need to. Even the M Z4 hasn't been able to beat the Boxster S in any of the magazine comparo's. The 987 is the superior car in just about every catagory but hp, but the 987 makes it up in other ways. I know of a ton of people that go from BMW to Porsche, but not many that do the opposite.

Porsche, there absolutely is no substitute!
I am really sorry, andl I hate to admit it, but the 987S does come second in this group test to the MZ4....

http://www.evo.co.uk/cargrouptests/c..._v_alpina.html

i.e. The M Roadster will win friends as much for not being a Porsche as for its visceral appeal, vivid character and much-improved dynamics. It could look more distinctive, and it doesn't set a new benchmark for sports car dynamics (that accolade still belongs to the Boxster), but it's a bold, ballsy car that exhilarates and challenges in a way the oh-so-accomplished Porsche can't match. In a magazine that lives for the thrill of driving, that's enough to give it the nod by the narrowest of margins.

Quick Reply: Choosing between Boxster, SLK, Z4 & S2000