Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Cayman S - Sport Seats, Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:52 PM
MrClean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Cayman S - Sport Seats, Need Input

Hello Rennlist!

I have been a member for awhile, enjoying my education of the P-car through the forum threads . I have been on the fence for the past year about pulling the trigger on a Porsche, partly because I am not sure which one is right for me. However, after doing quite a bit of research and test driving some terrific cars, I believe the Cayman S is it (at this point in my life).

I have found a 2006 Cayman S that has all the right options, including sport chrono, sports steering wheel, sport seats, sport carrera 19's and the preferred package, among others . However, I have some items I wanted to ask of the forum to get some feedback.

Items:
=====
1) Sport Seats --> Pronounced, non-adjustable lumbar is causing me severe backpain due to a displaced vertebrae. The dealer tells me they can have their technician remove some padding and have a leather expert work the seat back into shape. However, I don't know if this will look right or take car of the problem. Anyone have experience with such leather work? Anyone have input about the seats?

2) Mileage --> The car has approximately 200 miles on it. That is a lot of test driven miles, in my book. Is there a breakin period for this car that, if neglected, could lead to future problems with the car down the road?

3) Power --> Almost everyone says the car could use more power. I think the car feels strong and quick, but not blistering fast by any account. What kind of mods are available for the 3.4L Cayman S motor?

4) Price --> This car is well-equipped at nearly $70k; what discount would you expect to get if you bought this car today?

====

I would value facts as well as opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Last edited by MrClean; 10-14-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:23 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

For me, I wouldn't buy a test-drive car or a rental unless there was an additional discount at least equal to an extended warranty. There is a break-in, and I seriously doubt it's been followed. Caymen are not so rare, so you can be choosey. Look around and get exactly what you want.

On the seats, I've found seats are an amazingly personal choice. What one person says is great is horrible to me. Go sit in different seats and play with all the adjustments. I know on the older seats, you could lift out the panels and fit padding. I have a messed up back, and contrary to popular belief, the GT3 Euro/bucket seats fit me the best, were the most comfortable, and gave me the best support.

On power, there are bolt-ons, but don't expect much to make the car feel "blistering fast". If you spend $5K, you might be able to get 10HP. If you want blistering fast, you will have to turn to the aftermarket and put in a 3.8L. For me, I'd rather forgo $10K+ in options and get a relative stripper. For example, does anyone still use a CD changer? I haven't even had a CD in my car for almost 10 years. A lot of options are pure profit, but of course, it depends on what's in this car for you. Sounds like seats and performance from your post, though. Another thing is that options add weight. Good luck...
Old 10-09-2006, 03:13 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't worry about the break in too much. The car will be fine even if it saw some redlines during test drives. However, for an 06 with 200 miles on it I would not pay over invoice.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,791 Likes on 2,373 Posts

) Sport Seats --> i have both standard and sport seats in my cayman (ok, i have several cayman S). honestly i cannot tell the difference b/n the std and sport seats. they look different but feel the same. i am 5'-9" 180 lbs 33" wst.

2) Mileage: 200 miles is nothing. i bounced off the rev limiter numerous times since day one, like on my way home from dealers. i drive them hard from day one, they dont use oil (unless on track) and none of them got ANY problems. this also applies to every one of my p cars, not just caymans. by 500 miles, i put them on the track. i have no interest or patience for break in and truly believe it to be a urban myth, YMMV.

3) Power: dont waste you money. if you want extra power you can actually feel, 3.8L conversion or super charging, turbo charging are the only way. what's the point of adding 5, 10 ,20 hp. if i were to add hp, i add 100 more at the min. i dont like to waste my money or time on small, intangible, negligeable, undocumented mods.

4) Price: if that's 2006 model (it's october already and 2007's are now on the lot), and you are not in the over inflated CA market, anything that's $1k more than invoice, you paid too much.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Noah leigh
Track Day

Default Personal choices...

...you'll likely find everyone has their own very strongly felt opinion, and the trouble is, those opinions matter only to those who hold them.

I personally think that if you waited a long time and gave a lot of thought (and emotion!) to buying a Porsche it should be exactly spec'd the way you want it..so for me, that means ordering one. The salesman has a vested interest in selling you his demo, so he's more likely to tell you what you want ot hear. if those sport seats are uncomfortable now, they'll likely be uncomfortable after they deconstruct/modify them: Think about what those technicians will be doing! The idea that they can 'take a little padding out' and have it look AND feel okay to you is simply preposterous!

With regard to the mileage, maybe you're responding to the amount (200) not so much because of the break in period, but rather that it represents someone elses mileage: it's not 'new', afterall if a couple of gold chain and loafer without socks guys floored it a few times just to 'see what she'll do'. Likewise the 'power' concern some have here is just the simple reflection that for some, it's never enough. Your own impression of The CS is what should guide you. 0-60 in 5 sec. IS fast.

Lastly, on a demo '06, I'd demand at least $10k off sticker...there's money in the trunk there from Porsche to the dealer for the sale. But what I'm hearing, you might just as well buy an '07...carefully optioned, the cost of that car will be about the same as the demo. And it'll be brand new..and equipped exactly the way you want it.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering the price-inflating options on this car, the mileage and outgoing model year, I think this one will languish on their lot for awhile. Offer $1K over invoice if you really want it. Coincidentally I was driving through Columbus yesterday (Sunday) on the way to Indy and just for fun stopped at Byers to check their lot, I may have seen this car (?)

But nice as the Sport seats are, if they are painful for you in their stock form, sounds like a recipe for perpetual aggravation.

Sounds like you may want to try the standard seats... I tried all seat variants extensively and settled on the standard (power seat package) seats as most comfortable for me on the 997 (identical seats in Cayman) . In fact I think that even the standard non-power (non-Sport) Porsche seats are more comfortable than 90% of the cars I've owned.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:38 PM
MrClean
Instructor

Great feedback everyone. Thank you!

What is invoice on the car?
I was told 12% below MSRP by the salesman.
====
EDIT:
I saw this posted in another thread:
Originally Posted by designman
On base MSRP of $58,900, invoice is $51,392 according to Edmunds.
This is about 15%, but does that markup carry over to all options too?
====

I may have misspoken about the importance of more power. I think the car is plenty fast and the overall performance is just what I am looking for in a car. Out of curiousity, I was wondering what was out there and what people may have tried already. I was thinking of doing an exhaust to improve the acoustics and wondered if any power gains are also a part of the mod?

The dealer called me back today and said they talked to Porsche and to a leather expert that they use for repairs and restorations. The seat can be modified by taking out the padding and removing material with a proven technique that involves a torch. (?) I would be responsible for the cost to do the mod, but if it does not work out, I don't need to buy the car. The dealer is definitely trying to work with me.

I tried the four different seat configurations at the dealer last night, none worked. I was told that the seats are the same in the Cayman S and 911. So, unless I do the seat mod as described above, I may be out of luck with aquiring a P-Car.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Cope
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrClean

This is about 15%, but does that markup carry over to all options too?
Well you could go to the edmunds site, put all the options in that the car has, and see.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:13 PM
MrClean
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cope
Well you could go to the edmunds site, put all the options in that the car has, and see.
Did not know you could input all the options till you suggested it. As it turns out, they are just about right with the 12%. Thanks for the tip!

I am leaning toward the purchase now, given they will work with me on the seats.

I do appreciate the input/feedback.

Some of the initial mods I am considering IF I buy...

1) H&R Springs
2) Clear Bra
3) Window Tint (50%)
Old 10-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Cope
Advanced

Good luck. I've never had Byers do any work for me, but I did try to buy an Audi there a couple of years ago. They wouldn't give me the time of day. So I drove back to Charleston and bought the one I wanted the same day. I was serious about making a purchase, but I guess they didn't think so. I just didn't get any respect in there, maybe it was the jeans and t-shirt I was wearing??

Hope they make things right for you.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:56 PM
MrClean
Instructor

My experience at Byers has been nothing short of fantastic, largely due to Mike Kirkham. A real enthusiast and great guy to work with, Mike has been helping me find the right Porsche and deal for the past year and a half. He personally has got involved buying the seat cushion and talking to a local company to make this deal work out. With Mike's efforts, Byers is working on the seat this week. If all goes well, I will be driving a new Cayman S next weekend.

Thanks again to all on Rennlist for their input.

Quick Reply: Buying a Cayman S - Sport Seats, Need Input