Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVOMS V-Flow Install Qs

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:44 PM
mbodo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy EVOMS V-Flow Install Qs

Has anyone fit the EVO Motorsports intake system to their new 987's? Mine appears to be about 2mm too short on the long side of the oval, and does not appear to want to fit over the factory parts.

Check out their website for install instructions; the photos I've taken are a little too big to post here and I don't have web hosting as of yet.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mbodo; 09-01-2006 at 11:26 PM. Reason: had q, then didn't, now I do..
Old 09-02-2006, 01:48 PM
type987s
Instructor

Wish I could help. Please let us know how you like it once installed!
How hard is the installation other than the listed problem?
Old 09-02-2006, 06:29 PM
mbodo
Racer

Ironically, the ionly "installation" step is the listed problem. Everything else has been relatively simple - taking out the bose subwoofer, removing the carpeting, removing the engine lid, removing the air filter cover, even removing the old air filter...

(we're all adults here, right?)

So far, I've only said "mother****er" a half dozen times, all of which were related to trying to shoehorn this aluminum billet piece into place.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:29 PM
dcmelik
Instructor

I will prepare to be flamed but I have never understood why someone would buy a perfectly good new car and risk voiding the warranty, even partially, by affixing aftermarket exhaust and/or suspension parts. Why not just buy a different car that has the exhaust note that you desire? To each his or her own of course!

David Cmelik
87 928S 4 auto "indischrot"
01 986 5 speed "sealgrau metallic"
00 BMW 323i black on red
Old 09-02-2006, 10:50 PM
type987s
Instructor

did you ever get it in?
Old 09-04-2006, 04:50 PM
mbodo
Racer

Not yet. Contemplating buying a rubber mallet today when I get the tools to do my brakes on the other car.

I'm not so concerned about the aluminum aftermarket part as I am the plastic "stock" part it fits over. If I break/crack that, it will take a certain level of mechanical expertise and patience I do not possess (and I'd be likely to drop a few more F bombs if I tried.)

dcmelik - some people like coffee, some people like tea. I guess you're either into it, or you aren't, no biggie.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:58 PM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a BMC F1 filter in a few months back and had quite a time fitting the new filter onto that oval as well. Eventually after much cursing and determination it popped on but it was not very easy. I guess you could try spraying some WD-40 on a rag and lubricating the rubber mouth to get it to land home or maybe try heating it up with a hair dryer to be more pliable. Good luck -- I've been there.

I went home grown... please ignore stray bits of melted Hoosiers.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:58 PM
mbodo
Racer

I was thinking of lubing up the components that were contacting each other, but decided against it on account of not wanting to get any pollutants on the MAF sensor or any other critical electronic components that would be located downstream of my efforts.

I'm not sure how the BMC filter worked, but in my case there is no rubber to speak of; simply ABS plastic and aluminum. A rubber fitting would be nice, and at least I could throw it when I got upset without having to worry about damaging something.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:51 PM
type987s
Instructor

I’m puzzled after looking at the installation instructions on the Evoms site. It looks like the system is using the stock airbox and just adding an adaptor for a different size filter? Is that so? I don’t see the benefit? On the 986 system the stock airbox is removed.

Am I wrong? (If so I’m used to it )
Old 09-05-2006, 06:02 PM
mbodo
Racer

What you see is basically correct. The stock airbox itself remains in place.

The main difference appears to be in how the air is channeled through the aluminum piece that attaches to the stock intake. This is their "V" in "V-Flow" (for venturi I guess?)

The major difference outside of this venturi effect appears to be in the physical design of the filter itself. The OEM filter has a plastic shield at one end which effectively blocks debris/large particles from entering it. This one does not utilize that shield, so I'm guessing I won't be "de-snorkling" my car any time soon, as little bits of rubber and road are bound to get up into the airbox if you defeat both fail safes.

I would imagine that if one removed the stock airbox, performance would be degredated on account of the filter sucking in nothing but hot engine bay air.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:41 PM
type987s
Instructor

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.

Looking forward to your opinion once installed!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
mbodo
Racer

looks like the solution is to add the WD-40 as suggested by jrok (a very very light amount). If I have time tonight, I'll try popping this on. It will give me an excuse to terrorize the streets of Orange County at night ;-)
Old 09-06-2006, 11:09 PM
mbodo
Racer

new intake is on. Lubed it up, slipped right over the stock intake. Thanks Nate from EVO for being patient.

I didn't do a baseline dyno run and I didn't schedule one for after this installation, however using the good ol' butt dyno, the shifts from 1st-2nd feel stronger when 2nd engages. Very subjective, I know

The most difficult part of the installation, outside of getting the collar over the OEM intake piece, was connecting up the BOSE subwoofer system. It really helps a LOT when you try to plug the connectors back in right side up. No matter how much you jiggle it, the connector will just not fasten if it is upside down.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:30 PM
type987s
Instructor

Very cool! Good old dyno butt works for me :-)
Just two more things.
Is the intake sound any diff?
Do you feel it was worth the money?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:23 AM
mbodo
Racer

The intake is just bearly louder. I can now hear it with the top down and the radio blasting @ .. well, very fast.

Worth the money? Sure, why not. It was relatively inexpensive compared to the GIAC tuning, and I even got a free license plate frame out of the deal (+5hp/tq right there) ;-)

Quite honestly, being as I don't own two Boxster S's (one to tune, one as a point of reference), it is very difficult to tell that it has been modified, compared to my other car (SAAB 9-3) that has all the fancy turbo stuff and new downpipe and slick flashloader tuning to bring it to Stage 3 and back to semi-stock. THAT is a noticeable difference. From 210HP to 270HP in a matter of 4 minutes worth of ECU tuning (and up to about 400nm of torque) Your butt dyno really works with jumps that big.

Quick Reply: EVOMS V-Flow Install Qs