Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM and Chrono Sport Pkgs. question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 01:30 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
go drive the cars, buy whatever you like.

make a mistake, buy another.
Yeah, what he said.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:56 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, ringmeister is dead on. The more experience I have w/PASM, the more I find it to be magical - instantly & automatically transforming from a comfortable, compliant softer than "normal" (i.e., non-PASM) setup to a stiffer & better controlled than normal setup. And it can do it for individual corners, as needed.

Intrusive? How would shocks tuned to changing road conditions & driving demands be intrusive?

SC depends on your priorities. I want the ability to elevate PSM intervention levels w/PSM both "on" & "off." I also enjoy the more responsive throttle. For me, SC is worth far more than a TV screen in my dash, a Bose system, or a grand of stuck on carbon fiber. To each his own.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Noah leigh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

Your input has been really helpful! What I'm hearing is that both are worthwhile improvements designed to bring out the best in the car (which is what I was hoping). Like I said, sometimes it's hard to tell if alot of these add ons really add much..but in this case it does. I'll pay particular attention when I take the extended drive and let you know what I do!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:09 PM
teamsketch
Rennlist Member

It sounds like the people who don't like PASM, don't think it is worth the money. What if money was not a factor? Is there anyone who likes the feel of the stock suspension better than PASM for both the street and the track?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by teamsketch
It sounds like the people who don't like PASM, don't think it is worth the money. What if money was not a factor? Is there anyone who likes the feel of the stock suspension better than PASM for both the street and the track?
yes. i like stock suspension better than pasm.
on street pasm is either too hard or too soft.
on track, my coil over is far far superior than pasm and 3x the cost of pasm.

however, it is really important YOU go drive them and see what your likings are. pete and STLPCA really enjoy their PASM and that's wonderful. so you should make the determination.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:44 AM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"...3x the cost of pasm"

WOW!

(-%

tino
Old 09-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Teamsketch asked if anyone prefers the standard suspension to PASM on both road and track. I can fully understand that some would prefer the standard suspension on the road (mooty, e.g.), but those who prefer the standard suspension to PASM in Sport Mode for track or autocross must be a very rare breed.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:28 PM
teamsketch
Rennlist Member

Jim, I think you hit exactly upon the delima I am dealing with. Every time I go and drive the cars with PASM they don't feel right on the street, either too soft and floaty or too hard and bouncey ( in sport mode ). However I do plan to track this car about once per month so that is also an important part of the decision. With this amount of street vs track driving PASM logically sounds like a great setup but I just can't get past how strange it feels in normal mode. Maybe there's a way to make normal mode feel a little stiffer?

Oh well...I need to pick-up one this weekend so I'll go drive them both again.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I happen to like the PASM suspension in normal mode on the road, and don't think it's too soft. I use normal mode most of the time, even for twisties (which we have plenty of here in the hills). Only when the road is very smooth and curvy do I switch to Sport Mode. Your preferences may vary. The sports seats (which I have) are said to be a little firmer than the standard seats. If so, that (along with 18 vs 19" tires), may be contributing to the variation in suspension preferences.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 09-13-2006 at 01:21 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-13-2006, 01:58 PM
teamsketch
Rennlist Member

Now that I think of it, I have driven a PASM car with sport seats and I remember it feeling more connected. Thanks for jogging my memory. Oh well I guess I will need to go drive them all over again. Also something to consider is that I will be using the car in WA and in CA where the road quality is pretty good.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:03 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that PASM is adaptive with some overlap between soft and firm; so if you drive it slowly on rough roads then it will remain soft, and vice versa.

tino
Old 09-13-2006, 05:04 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

jim michaels' posts are illuminating. it really depends on how you use the car and what kind of roads you will be driving on. if i did 10-15 track days a year and used the car on streets too, i would opt for pasm. but that's now how i use the car.

also, tire size makes a difference. i have both 18" and 19" street tire/wheels on the standard suspension. i simply dont like 18" on it. i can't describe why, but the car feels VERY different than when i put 19" on it. everything seems more precise wiht the 19". both are ps2 tires.

but on track, i run 18" wiht coil overs. really, drive them how you NORMALLY would and see what you like. as soltino mentioned, pasm is ADAPTIVE. even in soft mode, it will firm up if you start pushing it.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:11 PM
teamsketch
Rennlist Member

Mooty, for some reason I thought that you were still running the stock suspension on the track while waiting for the Moton's.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

I drove a 2,7 with PASM last Sunday, it is great.

The point about the PASM is that you can have a comfortable street car in normal mode and a competitive car in sport mode. This is ideal for anyone that plans to track/slalom their everyday car.

I have driven standard suspension in slaloms for the last two years and that is not the most competitive, but it is comfortable on the way home. Prior to that I had a 964 with fully modified suspension that would win slaloms but was a pig on the way back from Frankfurt airport on a wet winter evening.

I'm seriously considering the 2,7 cayman with PASM but I don't want the modified throttle response. All this does is make it harder to balance the car on the throttle in curves and full gas is still full gas.

As for the stupid clock on the dash....I think it's just a toy for show-offs.
What can you really do with it?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:44 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by teamsketch
Mooty, for some reason I thought that you were still running the stock suspension on the track while waiting for the Moton's.
no, motons were one 2 months ago.
i did track with stock non pasm suspension for 3000 track miles.

Quick Reply: PASM and Chrono Sport Pkgs. question....