Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM and Chrono Sport Pkgs. question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 11:08 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have PASM and really love it. Sport Chrono on the other hand is $1000 thrown away.

Here is the adaptive range of the PASM:

Last edited by pstoppani; 01-30-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:23 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pstoppani,
Beautiful 993 TT!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:35 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Get the PASM and Sport Chrono, it will pay for itself at trade in time, plus you get to experiment with diffferent settings too see what works best for you.

I find myself doing most driving in Sport with the PASM turned off, and at a recent autocross I couldn't even get the PSM to engage (and I tried and tried).

Unlike Mooty, I really like the "enhanced" throttle response, but then I rarely "floor" my car.

Oh! and you want the sport exhaust too.....and the X51, well maybe the GT3 with a sunroof is what you really need!

There's no end to it and no right/wrong answer, just expensive ones. However, I can tell you (IMO that the more PASM/SC is understood and used, the more it will be desired, and by the time you sell your car it will be one of those required options at the dealer (already is at some).
Old 09-02-2006, 11:42 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a hard time believing that in several years from now a car with PASM and Sport Chrono are going to be worth any more than one without. Most people are going to be looking for a specific color exterior and interior. Options might make a car more desireable, but not worth any more. Just my opinion.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Noah leigh
Track Day

Question

I'm not concerned about trade in value, rather the value of the specific options to me...how they enhance the driving experience. I'm ok spending the $$$ if there's a real improvement in performance.
Most often, I find these 'enhancements' designed more to part the customer with more of his money, rather than to impart a real difference in usable perfromance. Likewise, I think that electromechanical components are often designed to protect people from themselves. I know how to drive well, I'm not buying a Porsche for curb appeal or to show off. So, if these options will deliver more of the car's innate abilities, fine. But if they interfere, or if they distract, I'd rather not.
I'm hearing mixed opinions here, maybe I need to go back and drive them again. Any suggestions on how I might 'feel' them on a casual test drive?
Old 09-02-2006, 05:26 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah leigh
I'm not concerned about trade in value, rather the value of the specific options to me...how they enhance the driving experience. I'm ok spending the $$$ if there's a real improvement in performance.
Most often, I find these 'enhancements' designed more to part the customer with more of his money, rather than to impart a real difference in usable perfromance. Likewise, I think that electromechanical components are often designed to protect people from themselves. I know how to drive well, I'm not buying a Porsche for curb appeal or to show off. So, if these options will deliver more of the car's innate abilities, fine. But if they interfere, or if they distract, I'd rather not.
I'm hearing mixed opinions here, maybe I need to go back and drive them again. Any suggestions on how I might 'feel' them on a casual test drive?
If you know how to drive real well, then you should easily be able to experience the differences; they will neither interfere or distract they'll just be, well....different) and make up your own mind accordingly.

Why are you asking these questions again, wouldn't you just go with your own "considerable" experience? Since the only thing that matters to you is the driving experience, .... and you do that real well!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Noah leigh
Track Day

Thanks for your input, Colm. Next time, might I suggest you read the entire post..maybe without the attitude...before responding.

What I said was that I had experience driving well, but not with Porsches. I'd hope that those with more experience with the Cayman might help me make a better decision about these options.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:09 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Noah,

Go back and read your post:

You say "I know how to drive well", there is no mention of everything else except Porsches.

The attitude came from you "more often, I find these enhancements......." "I am not concerned about trade in value....." "i am not buying a Porsche to show off......"

Again, let me ask what is the point of your question?, if you can drive real well then you can figure things out for yourself.

I think you're the one with attitude, and a modicum of arrogance!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:42 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

What the heck, I'll chime in my 2 cents too...

I have both options. At the end, I'd agree with the sentiments that you don't need either. However, it all depends on the context. If you are not doing autocrosses or tracking, you don't need them. If you are tracking at a serious level, which its definition would entire depend on your personal opinion, I'd pass on PASM. Coilovers give you fine tuning ability that PASM cannot. If you are like me, doing autocross for fun and do about 8-10 track days a year for fun without an objective of at least going club racing, I don't think you can pass on PASM. Some modifications will still be required, but they are minimal and considereing the significant up-keep of coilovers, PASM is baby's toy, which I like, it is easy.

SC, for me, is hard to pass on. I just cannot do without the sharper throttle response. It litterally effects my mid-corner entry/exists and throttle steering. It is especially useful for autocrosses. But that's just my driving style.

At the end, within my context , I'd buy them again if I was ordering now; but not for street driving only.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Noah leigh
Track Day

Colm, I'm not one to suffer fools gladly, it's clear from both your response as well as your sig that understanding and insight are superceded by a personality disorder. Ask yourself why you're the only one who misinterpreted my post and then felt compelled to respond with hostility. But keep those thoughts to yourself...

Back to my original question: I was wondering what owners of cars with these options felt about them. I want the options that enhance my abilities (and the characteristics of the car), and not compensate for the driver's inexperience. Also, when testing the car with them (given the limitations of a brief drive) what do people recommend I do to best demonstrate to myself what I can expect on a daily basis?
Old 09-03-2006, 04:00 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah leigh
Colm, I'm not one to suffer fools gladly, it's clear from both your response as well as your sig that understanding and insight are superceded by a personality disorder. Ask yourself why you're the only one who misinterpreted my post and then felt compelled to respond with hostility. But keep those thoughts to yourself...

Back to my original question: I was wondering what owners of cars with these options felt about them. I want the options that enhance my abilities (and the characteristics of the car), and not compensate for the driver's inexperience. Also, when testing the car with them (given the limitations of a brief drive) what do people recommend I do to best demonstrate to myself what I can expect on a daily basis?
Thank you for your enlightened analysis, maybe you can transfer your analytical observations and skillls to a test drive (on which you drive real well) and figure things out for yourself. Think of the personal satisfaction you will get from having the confidence to act on the basis of your own judgement(s).

Now, I must run to see my shrink; an internet expert just told me I had a personality disorder, and therefore it must be true...it's clear afterall!

I am so grateful.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both of you boys; go to your rooms right now!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:33 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Never buy a Porsche sportscar without Sport Chrono Plus.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:03 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,692 Likes on 2,339 Posts

go drive the cars, buy whatever you like.

make a mistake, buy another.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:43 PM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

Everyones taste is different and everyone uses their car differently. Personally I look at it this way for my own ordering plans...

Almost all street driving on good smooth roads - No PASM.
Almost all street driving on horrible (northeast) roads - PASM (usually set to soft).
Mix of street driving and track DE - PASM
Heavy Track or Racing - No PASM, YES to aftermarket suspension.

Quick Reply: PASM and Chrono Sport Pkgs. question....