Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many CaymanS' are there out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
that the CGT and the Enzo are just a couple of over-priced show-off snooty cars....

CP
you mean that's not true

it's strange how ppl think the car they drive must be the best. every porsche has its forte as well as flaws. instead of spending time to pin point what is the BEST, why not just enjoy and drive what we got?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:21 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

John,

I'm enjoying the heck out of my RX330. Bought 7-9-2005, 17,652 miles to-date. I also did 12k miles in my RUF last year. Not a single mile on the track though.

I think I'll go to TH..... Why, in my RX 330 of ourse.

CP
Old 08-03-2006, 02:28 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

that's great you are using the RUF a lot. but you must work harder to catch up. my black cayman has 12k in 6 months ;-)

call me when you take the RX330 to TH. i will go cheer for you.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:29 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CP
But the reverse sentiment is taking shape over at CaymanClub. They are so obsessed about the Cayman S that any mention of another car draws mockery and derision. Soon some of the members there will be dillusional to think that the CGT and the Enzo are just a couple of over-priced show-off snooty cars, with less performance than their number ONE Cayman S. For them love is truely blind.

CP
Old 08-03-2006, 06:23 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
the reverse sentiment is taking shape over at CaymanClub. They are so obsessed about the Cayman S that any mention of another car draws mockery and derision....For them love is truely blind.
I find most of the people over there to be open minded car enthusiasts that generally say nice things about all cars. We are passionate about our Caymans but there are a few threads where owners recommend other cars in response to questions. The founder of the site goes out of his way to keep things respectful.

In any event, it would be nice to see this Cayman board grow. I found Rennlist to be one of the best sites when I started looking at a 996 a few years ago and this and Cayman Club are the two Porsche sites I regularly follow.

Alan
Old 08-03-2006, 10:00 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't care for either the unrequited-love kind of posts or obvious, ignorant hecklers. These forums should be more than just a pep rally. There should be candor without acrimony. Above all we need the truth about these cars both good and bad.

Wow, both Cayman and Boxster forums have been sl-o-o-o-w.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:54 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
I find most of the people over there to be open minded car enthusiasts that generally say nice things about all cars. We are passionate about our Caymans but there are a few threads where owners recommend other cars in response to questions. The founder of the site goes out of his way to keep things respectful.

Alan
Alan:
You are right to a point. Just like any board, including Rennlist, as it grows and different personalities join the discussions, the negativity increases IMHO; but I think this is normal.

At the same time, I think what CP is talking about are threads such as the ones below:
http://www.caymanclub.net/topic.asp?...le=Cayman+Chat

http://www.caymanclub.net/topic.asp?...le=Cayman+Chat

The other side of things is that couple of time when I post information and experience about events, tracks, etc. at a another site and provided the link to it at CaymanClub forums; I was asked to provide the same information at Caymanclub.net directly and the posted information was copied from the other board and pasted at Caymanclub without my permission. I find this childish; it is my information and I can posted any where I want, but I did not make a deal out of it as these are all public forum and the information posted within is public property as well.

At the end, both boards are valuable but from a technical perspective, I find Rennlist much more involved and helpful. The simple example of my latest alignment issue. The amount of information that was provided to me publicly and personally was literally overwhelming, and now I feel I owe it to the boards to participate more and share any information I have that might be useful to the others.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:15 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottS
Just an impression but it seems there's not much traffic on this section of the board. And aside from the dealers in the area, I have not seen a cayman on the road in Philadelphia. Any thoughts? Despite the reviews, are the crowds speaking with their wallets?

ScottS
I have seen only one on the road, and since it was behind me I initially thought it was a 997. Since the Dealers near me have lots of Caymans on their lots, I'd speculate that the car isn't selling as well as they had hoped. Decently equipped Cayman Ss sticker in the upper $60s which put it against the C6 Z06 in price. Maybe the Z is stealing some of the Cayman Sales.

I viisited Kerbeck in Atlantic City and they had one Z in stock and they wanted almost $80K for a $70K car. On the other hand I visited Valley Motors in MD, and they were offering $4K discounts before I even asked for a test drive. Personally I prefer the Cayman but I'm wary about its depreciation based on experiences of two friends who sold their Boxsters. So I'll be looking at the Caymans seriously when they become available as used cars.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:01 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast1
I have seen only one on the road, and since it was behind me I initially thought it was a 997. Since the Dealers near me have lots of Caymans on their lots, I'd speculate that the car isn't selling as well as they had hoped.
Friday, August 4, 2006 Press Release: "According to Porsche AG, the world's most profitable car maker of luxury vehicles, Cayman's namesake model is boosting the firm's sales. Porsche sold a record 3,335 vehicles in the US and Canada in July, the Stuttgart, Germany-based car maker said. Sales of the 911 increased 46 percent to 1,155 cars and demand for the Boxster and the Cayman derivative model rose 34 percent to 1,214 cars."

Old 08-04-2006, 01:50 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Friday, August 4, 2006 Press Release: "According to Porsche AG, the world's most profitable car maker of luxury vehicles, Cayman's namesake model is boosting the firm's sales. Porsche sold a record 3,335 vehicles in the US and Canada in July, the Stuttgart, Germany-based car maker said. Sales of the 911 increased 46 percent to 1,155 cars and demand for the Boxster and the Cayman derivative model rose 34 percent to 1,214 cars."

I'm not surprised. The press and mainstream car magazines have absolutely loved these cars and have won most of the comparisons.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:07 AM
busaganashi
Intermediate

I just picked up my Cayman S this weekend, thanks to Mooty. I love that I've only seen two on the road ever here in Portland, Oregon. People are constantly looking at the car wondering what it is most likely. I'm glad I bought it.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:48 PM
SoCal924
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of a Cayman until 30 seconds ago, neat looking car.

At least its not an SUV

J
Old 08-24-2006, 02:09 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by busaganashi
I just picked up my Cayman S this weekend, thanks to Mooty. I love that I've only seen two on the road ever here in Portland, Oregon. People are constantly looking at the car wondering what it is most likely. I'm glad I bought it.
glad you are enjoying it.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

For what it's worth, I'm a 997 owner and I love the Cayman.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:51 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

This is actually kinda silly. I really, really, really (with overmuch emphasis) really wanted a Cayman. My wife (I know you will find this one tough to believe) talked me into a 996 because it had at least temporary back seats.

The 996 is faster, but I honestly liked the feel of the Cayman better. Like the Boxster too... Particularly the newer ones. (Hate tiptronic. Sorry guys).

In any event, you guys have at least one "911" guy in your camp. Actually, for that matter... I'm not one because my car is liquid cooled.

Just a rant but wanted to share the thoughts. Great car. Great driver. And, beautiful.

JKC

Quick Reply: How many CaymanS' are there out there?