Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many CaymanS' are there out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:55 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many CaymanS' are there out there?

Just an impression but it seems there's not much traffic on this section of the board. And aside from the dealers in the area, I have not seen a cayman on the road in Philadelphia. Any thoughts? Despite the reviews, are the crowds speaking with their wallets?

ScottS
Old 08-02-2006, 01:53 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Total US sales: 4178 YTD.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:09 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott

I think the chilly reception (& that's being charitable) given to those intially posting their interest in the Cayman or seeking information on this forum drove many elsewhere. Unfortunately, nothing was done by admin to stop the venom. I had been a rather active Rennlister since before it was Rennlist up until I began seriously considering a CS to replace my 993. I found the open hostility & negativity here disgusting. I then found the friendlier & far, far more active & educational dedicated CaymanClub.net site which is where I now spend most of my online car forum time.

Although I just renewed my 2 yr RL membership & stop by from time to time, there's little on the Cayman forum of interest. Why would there be much traffic? I'm sure the Cayman haters are thrilled.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

dan,

there are some cayman diehards here. me, sleepless to name just two. but i understand what you are saying. i also cruise on caymanclub as well.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:38 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

I don't understand the "Cayman haters" comment. I am not trying oppose the statement, but I personally did not get that impression from the RL forums frankly. Granted Cayman Club forums are much more active and as a result there is more information and opportunity to participate in discussions; however, frankly few ppl's negative comments do not bother me.

The sales figure is an impressive number that will probably settle down as the year goes down, but it represents the highest sales of any other model for the US. At the same time, 4K cars is no where enough for it to become a regular sighting on the roads, especially in a country as large as US, which I actually welcome. Not regularly, but in the DC metro area I am starting to see one on the road every ~2-3 weeks or so.

We also had our 1st Cayman Club meet few weeks back in Maryland and 5 Caymans were present, which was more than I was expecting. Thinking that the avg. sales price is about $65K and it is of limited utility vehicle, I personally think, it's sales are doing fantastic at this time.

Mooty -- I am offended that you did not include me in your short list "die-hards"
Old 08-02-2006, 10:10 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that most people that have a Cayman or were in the market for a Cayman have no clue what Rennlist even is, therefore I'd be very surprised if the early Cayman bashing on Rennlist negatively impacted the sales of the Cayman at all. I'd be more inclined to say that all of the positive press on the Cayman in the mainstream magazines (Car & Driver, Road & Track, etc) that have all LOVED the Cayman has impacted the sales of the Cayman with increased numbers.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:34 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
Mooty -- I am offended that you did not include me in your short list "die-hards"
Me too

Of all the general Porsche boards, I found this the most accepting of the Cayman. Some were downright hostile.

Alan
Old 08-02-2006, 12:18 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my Cayman S a couple of days ago so add me to the list. I like the fact that you don't see many of them on the road. It seems that you can't throw a dead cat without hitting a Boxster or 911 in the Bay Area so it's kind of nice to have something less common.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have one (yet), but my brother has one and as a mulitple time Boxster owner, I'm a big fan of the mid engined Porsches. So I try to throw a "pro-Cayman" opinion in whenever possible...just to balance out the luddites and their narrow minded anti-Cayman mentality.

But I would have to agree with ELUSIVE that most new Porsche owners are the kind of people who just want a cool new car. It's when they start showing up in the used market that more "enthusiasts" and chat board users start to talk about them more and more. It's happening with the Boxsters...I'm sure the Caymans will follow.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:16 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand the "Cayman haters" comment.
If you go back & wade through the early threads, I think you'll understand my comment. Many posters went out of their way to repeatedly venture from whatever part of Rennlist they frequented & come to this Cayman Forum to gratuitously bash the car, those interested in it, those "dumb enough" to actually buy it & to generally flame bait in the midst of most any thread. At the time I was looking for information, not noise.

The results to date are:
Rennlist Cayman Forum: 5,813 posts in 424 threads.
CaymanClub.net: 57,754 posts in 4,869 threads.

I continue to support John D & Rennlist with my membership (contrary to some), but I just don't find the same value here in Caymanville as I did on the 993 forum. That's unfortunate.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:41 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

STLPCA,

I understand your point. I don't remember those posts much, because of the simple fact that I really did ignore them, but I do see your point. I have to say that more of the negative posts were probably at Rennteam site; and look at it now to the Cayman board stats there: 555 threads, 8,386 posts and I'll say that 99% of the threads/posts are completely useless IMO.

Peace
Old 08-02-2006, 07:45 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

LOL, sorry, how did i forget the flying toaster, bigger twin and doug&julie!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by STLPCA
those "dumb enough" to actually buy it & to generally flame bait in the midst of most any thread. ...
hum..i must be very dumb. i think i have more cayman then anyone in USA.

well, WE can make the cayman forum better, no?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:04 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
well, WE can make the cayman forum better, no?
Let's do! I am going to start posting in this forum first, rather than other forums
Old 08-03-2006, 02:04 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Dan,

I'm with you about the early-day sentiments of this particular Rennlist Forum. That was why I migrated to Caymanclub for my Cayman-related fixes. I don't post much there, and thus far have had better responses posting here.

But the reverse sentiment is taking shape over at CaymanClub. They are so obsessed about the Cayman S that any mention of another car draws mockery and derision. Soon some of the members there will be dillusional to think that the CGT and the Enzo are just a couple of over-priced show-off snooty cars, with less performance than their number ONE Cayman S. For them love is truely blind.

Don't get me wrong, the Cayman S is a very nice sports car, with an intrinsically good platform, and superior performance. But Porsche had slotted this car in their own pecking order such that it is by no means top-dogs in performance. That's reserved for the mighty CGT and then the 997 lines (GT3, tt, and then the S). Folks over at the other forum does not seem to see that.

We all love our cars. I love my M5 and my RUF, but I'm not dillusional to think that there are no better cars out there in the world.

I'd love to have a Cayman one day. It makes for a very compelling daily driver. I agree that we can easily make this forum a better place for the Cayman enthusiasts.

CP

Quick Reply: How many CaymanS' are there out there?