Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo MR vs. Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:57 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
Looks like you are the one with the attitude. The original post was actually trying to defuse the attitude. Stop assuming Porsche owners are snotty.
Point taken. However, the discussions before that post were appropriate. People were comparing cars based on peformance...not based on $$$$. As soon as you open this door it is a different ballgame.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:58 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Geesh...talk about attitude... You should have been at the track (Pueblo motorsports Park in Colorado) this past weekend for the SCCA race when we were dusting a WRX STi by about 3-4 seconds a lap in our SRT-4. The STi was a nicely built SCCA T2 car and the driver was an SCCA runoff national champion driver. In fact, we out qualified both a very nicely modified 951 (ITE) and 993 (GT2) as well...
Impressive to say the least.

Do you think, and I am simply asking here, that the SRT4 would have dusted the STi or the 951 or the GT2...in stock form?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:25 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Impressive to say the least.

Do you think, and I am simply asking here, that the SRT4 would have dusted the STi or the 951 or the GT2...in stock form?
In stock form, i would doubt it..but you have to consider than an SRT-4 is $21K and the STi and Evo are about $8-10K higher in price. The evidence of that in stock form is pretty obvious if you look at the suspension and brakes in particular from a performance standpoint. With that being said, after a brake upgrade and suspension upgrade the SRT-4 is a very capable track car.

2 years ago we bought two SRT-4's off the lot and built them into race cars. One was a T2 car and the other was built into an ITE car just to see what the car could do. With a set of stoptech brakes up front, A Mopar stage 3 coilover kit, and a stage 2 turbo (About $3K total) we were turning extremely fast times at the tracks here in Colorado. In our first race we beat a very fast and well prepared 951 driven by a good PCA driver.

The SRT-4 is no Evo or Sti but it can be competitive with them with some minor upgrades and for $21K it makes a super fun car...and I'm a Porsche guy!!
Old 07-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the idea of complete budget based racing. Ala, Grassroots Motorsports $2001 Challenge. I would love to make an entire series based on budget only. Run anything you want as long as it cost less than x dollars to build...
Old 07-07-2006, 01:27 PM
hawk993
Racer

sounds like a lot of bs on whom is dusting whom and beating whom...gt2?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:22 PM
hawk993
Racer

this one time...at band camp...I out qualified an STI, cayman s, gt3, GT2and a 911 GT1 with my Dodge Caravan...it was cool!
Old 07-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hawk993
sounds like a lot of bs on whom is dusting whom and beating whom...gt2?
In GT2 (class), not a 911GT2.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:09 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

hawk993, I understand your skepticism, but It's not bs...It was a 993 that was in the GT2 class...not an actual GT2. Our SRT-4 was converted from an ITE car into a SPEED world challenge car and we raced the entire season last year. It's a very fast car and my brother is an amazing driver. Now, during the race, our car lost quite a bit of power due to the temperatures and our charge temps were really high and we slowed down slightly and the p-cars kept rolling along and slightly slower then qualifying pace. Exactly why a p-car is better for the long haul.....

Resutls are on our website at www.snymo.com. While you're there check out some of the movies in the movies section. Many are from the SPEED races last year....

Porsch-uh, I think that's a great idea as well. Some cars might handle really well and some cars might be really fast, but it might equal out. I'd love to see it...
Old 07-07-2006, 06:47 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
I love the idea of complete budget based racing. Ala, Grassroots Motorsports $2001 Challenge. I would love to make an entire series based on budget only. Run anything you want as long as it cost less than x dollars to build...
Now we are talking...

Of course, that would be a completely different thread
Old 07-24-2006, 02:39 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
very true on sti and evo comments.
however, there is one cheap and durable track car. honda s2000. i have seen them raced HARD for 5 years with original motor. the engineering in that car is pretty incredible regardless of price, let alone the thing can now be leased for 300/month with min. drive off.
truer words have never been spoken.

I tried hard but could not come up with a single reason why my BoxsterS was overall a better car than the S2000. actually I think they're both kind of ugly.
BUT NOT AS UGLY AS A 997!

I like the STI with a few exhaust mods you can really scare the **** out of everyone at the dairy queen in their civics. The STI may be the best performing
ugly car money can buy.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:29 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I absolutely drive the **** out of my STi. Everyday I routinely cane it relentlessly to work and back. I drive high speed back roads and don't experience much traffic. It has over 12k miles on it and I haven't had a single problem with it. It really makes a great daily car with it's reliability, torque, and 4 doors. The EVO scared me on the reliability and torque fronts.

That being said, I would also really enjoy the Cayman. I've driven a Boxster S and I enjoyed that a lot, but I'm not an open car fan. The Cayman looks like the right car for me. When the time comes for the next car, I'm going to look at the Cayman and a Lotus Exige/Elise.

Quick Reply: Evo MR vs. Cayman S