Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo MR vs. Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 06:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,646 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster
I had no intentions of tuning the Cayman frankly when I bought it, I got it for personal enjoyment. However, two seperate companies made similar requests and I am reluctantly considering working with one or both of them. We'll see how it turns out.

sound like engine/ecu tuning? maybe intake? please keep us posted.

IMHO, tuning, especially the chassis, we'll be tough to improve on; I am not talking about pure racing set up, but a compromise setup(s) for enthusiast that are not so much after club racing but serious trackers and autocrossers. It just cannot be done by putting on some aftermarket components. To really improve on it, a lot of testing and fine tuning needs to be done. And I am not sure that people have patience, time and money for it and I am not sure of the market potential for it; I certainly do not have the money portion
true that. i am doing just that with local suspension guru, as of end of july we will log 1200+ track miles on it as we tune the thing.

there will be a lot of compromises and most cayman drivers will not want to have. for this to work well, i need monoball upper mounts, and that's noisy, when new, imagine when the heim joints wear out, it would be hell noisy.

spring rate, air pressure of shox, sway bar set up, alignment etc etc.

also, pricewise, it is 10-15% of the car's cost (inc labor, tax and ancillaries), so not many ppl will be interested. but for the few insane, this will be a great set up for heavily tracked cars (5000+ annual track miles).
Old 07-05-2006, 07:03 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Flying T, Mooty,

I was thinking more in the line of ROW ride height, using either lowering springs, or coil-overs, PSS9s etc.

Another area of relative ease (may be) would be down-stream breathing, free-flow headers, plenums, exhaust, etc.

I was not thinking esoteric stuff, more of what the public can reasonably attain.

CP
Old 07-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread only bares out what anyone who has financed or been a part of a racing campaign of several years or more knows. Perfomance gain for the buck decreases as you get higher in the performance range. This goes for anything. Engines, brakes, suspension and so on. Any car can be made to quick up to a point and then it becomes extremely difficult (read: expensive) to push it further. I'm sure that the Evo block can take quite a beating, but if I had to pick a Evo running 20+ psi boost (even built by a top-notch tuner) or a Cayman S to run an endurance race of 6 hours or more. I'm taking the Cayman S every time. This is taking nothing away from the Evo, which is a car of considerable accomplishment in it's own right.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CP
Flying T, Mooty,

I was thinking more in the line of ROW ride height, using either lowering springs, or coil-overs, PSS9s etc.

Another area of relative ease (may be) would be down-stream breathing, free-flow headers, plenums, exhaust, etc.

I was not thinking esoteric stuff, more of what the public can reasonably attain.

CP
i would NOT use lowering springs. i bet is they will greatly shorten the life of your oem shox.

pss9 would be nice way to go. i know pss9 for 996c4s, 993 c4s and boxsters (986) are valved perfectly for your CP. lots of sport driving on twisties, occasional track use etc. no anti sway bars are out for cayman yet (not publicly anyway) so not sure how well you can tune under/oversteer. though you can always compensate for it by spring rate (though not ideal).

it's very hard to get power out of modern porsches w/ just headers and mufflers. sure you will get some hp, but i doubt anyone will REALLY notice it, unless you are actually racing someone.

to get hp out, you need more cold air in, more hot air out, so CAI, header, exhauste, take out the cat. if you really move enough air to see a BIG difference, then my immediate GUESS is that you dont have enough fuel mixture. so you might need bigger injectors, fuel pump etc. no end to this !
Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 PM
CP
Race Director

John,

I hear you. NA engines are tough to up-grade. Learned that lesson from my M5.

I have always thought to get truely noticeable HP from the Cayman line, we must talk forced induction. Then the question is longevity vs performance. Then I have to trust RUF.

CP
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CP
John,

I hear you. NA engines are tough to up-grade. Learned that lesson from my M5.

I have always thought to get truely noticeable HP from the Cayman line, we must talk forced induction. Then the question is longevity vs performance. Then I have to trust RUF.

CP
ruf does have a 3.8L x51 conversion for the cayman, but it's scarying $$$.

btw, if a car is converted by ruf usa (texas) will it have any sort of warranty from ruf or porsche usa?
Old 07-05-2006, 10:13 PM
CP
Race Director

Ruf has a 12 months warranty I believe. I personally will only do the conversion AFTER the OEM Porsche warranty ran out. I'm sure even Ruf's work will void active Porsche warranty coverages.

CP
Old 07-06-2006, 11:29 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Mooty and CP, you certainly making the very points I am strugling with in mind from a practicallity and marketability perspective.

Engine tuning is difficult for warranty issues. It is best to integrat big names' offerings in a solution rather create something brand new.

As for chassis, there is more room to play there I think. The shocks, springs, A/R bars, strut tops, camber, toe, bushings, ...it goes on and on. Finding the right combination that will suit the streets, tracks and autocrossing AND multiple driving styles is really the challenge; which is the most fun part for me as well.

Looking at some of the well-know brands and working with them over the years, frankly most won't do on a Cayman. JIC is out in my book, so are PSS9s; they are not good enough IMHO. Moton's are a little too expensive for the average Joe; Koni, JRZ are whole another story. What we need is to have full warranty and solid performance at the same time. Tough combination to find, but there are couple
Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Mooty and CP, you certainly making the very points I am strugling with in mind from a practicallity and marketability perspective.

Engine tuning is difficult for warranty issues. It is best to integrat big names' offerings in a solution rather create something brand new.

As for chassis, there is more room to play there I think. The shocks, springs, A/R bars, strut tops, camber, toe, bushings, ...it goes on and on. Finding the right combination that will suit the streets, tracks and autocrossing AND multiple driving styles is really the challenge; which is the most fun part for me as well.

Looking at some of the well-know brands and working with them over the years, frankly most won't do on a Cayman. JIC is out in my book, so are PSS9s; they are not good enough IMHO. Moton's are a little too expensive for the average Joe; Koni, JRZ are whole another story. What we need is to have full warranty and solid performance at the same time. Tough combination to find, but there are couple

you are right on. unfortunately you are on the WRONG coast, too far from me. i love motons. i heard JRZ being good but not sure if they shipped. but as you mentioned, beside cost you need to have a knowledgeable person to set it up else, it's just money wasted.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

I wouldn't pay $70,000 for a Porsche that is finely honed from the factory, and then modify it with stiffer springs and shocks - that's why I paid the premium in price - to have the Porsche engineers tune the suspension with a perfectly blended compromise of ride, handling, grip, and feel.

If I wanted to tinker with a car, and tweak it in my own garage with a variety of aftermarket components, I'd save some $$$ and dink around with an Evo. I'd have less to lose and maybe more to gain.

FWIW, every aftermarket suspension (or engine) mod I have ever tried on a car has made it less suitable as a daily driver. I just do not think I'd do that with a Cayman S.

Jim
Old 07-07-2006, 12:51 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LastGT3
Speaking of consumambles, what does the the factory block cost for an Evo?
My impression is that on the track, the Sti and Evo will heat soak and then spiral after 60 min of use/abuse. I just do not think they are a value but just a misleading cheap entry point for further expense. Believe me, I would rather get cheap and good but I think that is not possible so I got a GT3.
I have tracked my STi for hours and hours of abuse...only a couple of ticks behind my Z06 and quite a few ticks ahead of my Carrera 4 (yes, I know, the 4 is not he best track car)...the STi's will take PLENTY of abuse....
Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 AM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
If you are going to bring this up, why don't you look at Corvettes versus 911's (or the Cayman for that matter). I have seen normal option Cayman's sticker for $71K. How much is a Z06? Why buy an EVO, when you can get the same numbers out of a Neon SRT-4 with the optional "Stage 2" kit?

The answer is they are not apples to apples. They have different purposes. Why would you pay $150K+ for a Bentley GT, when it isn't even faster than a base Carrera? Same reason. This is really a pointless thread.
It is NOT a pointless thread. An SRT4 is not a track car...why do some "Porsche" owners have your attitude is beyond me.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
It is NOT a pointless thread. An SRT4 is not a track car...why do some "Porsche" owners have your attitude is beyond me.
Looks like you are the one with the attitude. The original post was actually trying to defuse the attitude. Stop assuming Porsche owners are snotty.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:33 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Geesh...talk about attitude... You should have been at the track (Pueblo motorsports Park in Colorado) this past weekend for the SCCA race when we were dusting a WRX STi by about 3-4 seconds a lap in our SRT-4. The STi was a nicely built SCCA T2 car and the driver was an SCCA runoff national champion driver. In fact, we out qualified both a very nicely modified 951 (ITE) and 993 (GT2) as well...
Old 07-07-2006, 11:56 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Hodel
I wouldn't pay $70,000 for a Porsche that is finely honed from the factory, and then modify it with stiffer springs and shocks - that's why I paid the premium in price - to have the Porsche engineers tune the suspension with a perfectly blended compromise of ride, handling, grip, and feel.
Newsflash - Porsches nowadays are finely honed from the factory for GROCERY GETTING. For god's sake, you can't even get an LSD in a Cayman. If you want to enjoy it as a sportscar, you'll need to modify it. I always laugh when someone says "I'll leave it the way Porsche built it, they know best."

This goes for the old cars too, but to a lesser extent. For instance, the stock shocks/ride height/alignment on the 993 is frankly pathetic. A Honda Accord has better turn-in than a stock 993. But with simple mods (18" wheels, springs, shocks, alignment), the car is transformed.

Everyone has a different "ideal" balance for what they want in their sportscar. Some are happy leaving it stock, while other need a full track setup. Most people fall somewhere in the middle, hence the existence of aftermarket suppliers.

Quick Reply: Evo MR vs. Cayman S