Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Cayve-man S
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Upgrades

Hey guys,

I recently aquired a cayman S and will be tracking it soon (it has 400km on it at the moment!) and wanted to know what people are recomending as far as suspension goes? I would like to lose the gaps in the fender-well's as well as improve handling as well? I don't have PASM so that opens up more options I pressume. In the past I have used an H&R coilover on my 330ci but don't think it needs that much work, to mbe honest. What about simply springs? Perhaps the European model stuff? I know they are a bit lower and sometimes a bit stiffer....
Anyway, let me know what people are running and what they think.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems that most I've heard from are still running track with the OE suspension, but several have reported switching to the somewhat stiffer H&R progressive lowering springs. I don't know about the Cayman's OE shocks, but previously people were also advised to pair the H&R springs with sport shocks to better match dampening rates to the new spring rates. I don't have a clue about which combo would work best with the Cayman. My student's Cayman at VIR had the standard suspension (no PASM), and his car handled quite well, as did my Cayman with PASM. I'd think you'd want to run your first DE with the standard suspension to see how it works. Then you can tell us all about the fantastic improvement after your suspension upgrade.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i have non pasm factory suspension. i put 2k track miles on it already. it's surprising good when you are in the cabin, i am leaning but the car still grips. spectator told me my inside front tire is 6" off the pavement when i turn hard (i dont know if that's true, i dont feel it that much).

i personally dont like just changing springs. suspension is a SYSTEM. if the s prings are not matched well with shock valving, something is going to go amuck. if you just want to lower the car, lowering or sport springs i suppose are fine. but i am not sure you will gain much performance this way.

if you want to go all the way to coil over. H&R, PSS9 will eventually have something out (3-4k including setup, install, sway bar)

if you want to go nuts, LEDA is now delivering, JRZ can now be ordered, and Moton will be on my car anyday now (7k inc. setup, install, sway bar, adj drop link, monoball upper plates).

prices are just my "educated" guess, dont hold me to it.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Cayve-man S
8th Gear

I have a greta deal of track time in several cars including my 330ci. The H&R system I have is essentially a PSS9 system (with bilstein shocks and all) with an H&R label...
I agree that springs alone are not a great idea. I don't really want to spend a huge amount (like on LEDA stuff) but would like to get the most out of it and lower the car a bit. I should mention that I've driven a Cayman S on the track, just not mine!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:21 AM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends how crazy you want to go. The Moton clubsport coilover with Hypercoil springs, somewhere in the 400/500 range would probably be the hot setup. Don't forget GT3 sway bars. But be prepared to spend $6k. H&R or PSS9 would be a cheaper option.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:07 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Depends how crazy you want to go. The Moton clubsport coilover with Hypercoil springs, somewhere in the 400/500 range would probably be the hot setup. Don't forget GT3 sway bars. But be prepared to spend $6k. H&R or PSS9 would be a cheaper option.
that's what i have in mind.
you think 400/500 is enough?
on my GT3 i ran 600+, cayman isnt' any lighter.

GT3 sway bar works for front, not the rear. you know who make something that will work with the rear end?

after camber plate, adj linx, install, corner wt and alignment it's more like 7500 min.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:48 AM
JWGT2
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
i have non pasm factory suspension. i put 2k track miles on it already. it's surprising good when you are in the cabin, i am leaning but the car still grips. spectator told me my inside front tire is 6" off the pavement when i turn hard (i dont know if that's true, i dont feel it that much).

i personally dont like just changing springs. suspension is a SYSTEM. if the s prings are not matched well with shock valving, something is going to go amuck. if you just want to lower the car, lowering or sport springs i suppose are fine. but i am not sure you will gain much performance this way.

if you want to go all the way to coil over. H&R, PSS9 will eventually have something out (3-4k including setup, install, sway bar)

if you want to go nuts, LEDA is now delivering, JRZ can now be ordered, and Moton will be on my car anyday now (7k inc. setup, install, sway bar, adj drop link, monoball upper plates).

prices are just my "educated" guess, dont hold me to it.
Can't wait to hear about the moton's on your cayman! When is tony doing it?
Old 06-14-2006, 06:00 AM
andreadebi
1st Gear

why not KW variante 3?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Cayve-man S
8th Gear

Why use the GT3 font sway bar? I would have to presume that it's bigger (thicker or stiffer) and that would increase understeer, no?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:06 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I would ask Ernie at MantisSport. He has been running a Cayman in PCA D class all year, and it gets faster every time it comes out.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:36 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i dont mean to say USE GT3 sway bar. i was responding to a post. i think front GT3 bar will physically fit, but the rear will not physically fit (i think). however, i cannot vouch on how they work on the cayman (how stiff the bar is relative to how stiff the car need to have it).

i will run stock bar with motons and then adj from there on depending on what is out there. i have been picking earnie's brain :-)
Old 10-14-2006, 01:26 AM
MrClean
Instructor

I have heard and read about the "specifically designed and made-for-Cayman S" H&R lowering springs. Where can you buy them?
Old 10-14-2006, 01:32 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
I have heard and read about the "specifically designed and made-for-Cayman S" H&R lowering springs. Where can you buy them?
As recently as a couple of months, no such springs exist. H&R sells the same springs for the Boxster S and Cayman S. I have them and they work fine, even with PASM.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:36 PM
DCLee
Pro

I use the Eibach Prokit (- 35 m.m.) lowering springs for non-PASM, work fine (no track yet). H&R makes F & R swaybars. If and when I do coilovers, I will go with JRZ RS Pros, Motons are acquiring a cult-like status that could be a bit overblown. Getting about -1.5 and -2 deg. neg. camber without F spherical bearing strut mounts right now. Blowing most of my money on aero right now, car should be done in a week.

Lee in D.C.
'06 Cayman S (trending RS... )
Old 10-14-2006, 07:34 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DCLee
I use the Eibach Prokit (- 35 m.m.) lowering springs for non-PASM, work fine (no track yet). H&R makes F & R swaybars. If and when I do coilovers, I will go with JRZ RS Pros, Motons are acquiring a cult-like status that could be a bit overblown. Getting about -1.5 and -2 deg. neg. camber without F spherical bearing strut mounts right now. Blowing most of my money on aero right now, car should be done in a week.

Lee in D.C.
'06 Cayman S (trending RS... )
lee, nice to have you back after long silence.
pls post pix after aero.
i got my suspension all done and tons of track miles on the car. would love to see your toy.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrades