Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some thoughts on the Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,705 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani
It loves to 4 wheel drift! Isnt' that right Mooty?
how did you know. the car 4 wheel drifted on the fwy on ramp when i test drove it. i loved it so much, i drove it home (with the sale manager in the car)... he had to call dealer to pick him up from my house!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mooty, I'm not a jealous person. Well, until I get on here and read your posts... you bastard.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:31 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm impressed with the Cayman S (as an observer, not an owner). Sure, there were marketing edicts and constraints, but the end product is a nice package. Wish I had one for my daily driver.

I want to think that Porsche is going to up the performance of the car as times goes on, maybe even with a special (pricey) model. Maybe once the Cayman establishes it's own identity, the market segments will divide enough for Porsche Corporate to offer great performance in the 911 and the Cayman's...

AND I can't wait to see the RUF version of the Cayman S (I'm assuming one is in the works).

chuck
Old 05-24-2006, 12:06 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan V
"I can't recall another time when a roadster was soooo good they decided to make 'a regular' car out of it."

you must be a lot younger than me. I recall it being done in the 60s quite a lot:

MG - MGB > MGB-GT
Triumph - Spitfire > GT6
Jaguar - E-type roadster > coupe

I wish I could have all of them, plus the Cayman.
I don't I've ever seen a tin top Triumph or MG. Certainly not on the road.
ditto for the Jag. Very uncommon cars.
Corvette not so uncommon.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:56 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
Mooty, I'm not a jealous person. Well, until I get on here and read your posts... you bastard.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:07 PM
peterr
Advanced

Just to drag this thread lurchingly back to the original subject, here are my thoughts on the Cayman S

A car company will always consider marketing in their product design. Otherwise they go out of business and we are left without their lovely cars. To criticize for that reality is absurd. That being said one can take issue with the specific choices they have made especially as contrasted with other possible choices.

I think that making the car a 911 killer was never going to happen unless Porshe really wanted to kill the 911 and they have no incentive to do so. Besides there really is no gap in the 911 market, because, well the 911 fills it.

My argument is that given they probably do not want to give the Cayman 911 beating attributes, at least not initially, why not fill the market segment that was not being addressed: A coupe version of the Boxster at slightly sub convertible prices (as coupes are wont to be).

Instead we get something that is more than a Boxster in every way but not a 911. And priced way high.

If Porsche had offered a coupe version of the Boxster I would be driving one already. But given Cayman pricing there is no way I will buy one new. In Canada we get extra screwed. The base price of Cayman S is $84K CDN which is $75K US in current Exchange. The Boxster is $64K CDN.

Of course the new BMW M Coupe is $71K CDN
Old 05-25-2006, 01:52 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad I'm going to be proven wrong about the marketing suits dictating the specs of the Cayman to the engineers. I'm really looking forward to the Cayman RS, stripped down and priced below the Boxster.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:31 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

The biggest problem the 911 has ever faced has now surfaced:

Read more here:
Porsche Cayman GTR

Coles notes:
*X51 997 3.8 motor making 380bhp
*LSD
*Alcantra, Carbon, and more
*0-60 low 4s
Old 06-04-2006, 06:14 AM
SomethingAboutB
Intermediate

Doesn't anyone remember the good old 1980s - the days when the 944 Turbo would not only keep pace with a standard 911 but would run rings around it on a race track? Porsche would do well to look back and see that there is a market for a nimble quick track car (like the 944 Turbo and its now spiritual successor in the Cayman) but would not necessarily cannibalise the sales of the 911.

Ever since the 944 Turbo/S2 series was killed off, nothing until the Cayman has realistically offered the novice driver an affordable fixed head Porsche which can be driven from point A to B at supersonic speeds. Here's hoping for the Cayman Turbo....... I would choose one over a standard 911
Old 06-04-2006, 11:04 AM
NewPorscheGuy
AutoX

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Imagine if Porsche had never turned the motor around and stuck with the original mid-engined designs?
Had Ferry not let the marketers push the engine back in the first very production Porsche I'd bet the current 911 equivalent would pretty much be the Cayman with the 911 engine range (and a freaking oil temp gauge)! Imagine that, the cayman as it should be, with power options all the way up to 450bhp from the factory!

Oh well, guess we'll just have to rely on the tuners.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's no wonder that the 951's are fast. The 951's and the 911's had similar hp from the mid-80's til the end of the 951 run, where the 951 and the 964 both had about 250 hp, but the 951 could be easily boosted to 280-300 hp.

According to Motor Trend (July issue, page 23), a Cayman RS is in the works. They say it will be a lightweight, but Porsche has no plans to give it more power than the Cayman S. That's to ensure that the 911 remains their icon car. They also say there will be 10 new Porsche models introduced between now and 2010, including the next generation 911, a small SUV, the "new 928", and a new Carrera GT.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:41 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=According to Motor Trend (July issue, page 23), a Cayman RS is in the works. They say it will be a lightweight, but Porsche has no plans to give it more power than the Cayman S. That's to ensure that the 911 remains their icon car. They also say there will be 10 new Porsche models introduced between now and 2010, including the next generation 911, a small SUV, the "new 928", and a new Carrera GT.[/QUOTE]

i just read that article. i sure hope RS is coming. however, as much as i love my cayman, there's one thing that porsche is not helping us. they aren't racing this thing, as such it's hard to mod it correctly. sure, tehre are aftermarket tuners, but i really rather buy from porsche motor sport. that's one thing my GT3 is better at. if something worn out, i just replace it wiht motorsport parts and be done with it. on the cayman, one has to filter through aftermarket tuners and there are no real data on how each item really performs.

so please, PAG, race and support the crocodile and make us happy.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:29 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by mooty
so please, PAG, race and support the crocodile and make us happy.
I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon. When Porsche starts racing the Cayman its superiority over the 911 will be evident to everyone. In a prior article Motor Trend said they wouldn't declare the Cayman the new King until Porsche started racing it. I don't think PAG wants that to happen and anticipate its racing efforts will remain focused on the 911 for the foreseeable future.

Alan
Old 06-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I herd dat! It might take a while to sort out the aftermarket mods offered for the CS. I'm trying to be patient, as the first ones offered for a new model are not always well tested and sorted. Some of the mods designed for the Boxster, but offered for the Cayman, probably aren't optimum. Fortunately, the early buyers/testers often provide helpful feedback on how well they work. Thanks for that.

BTW, Mooty, I didn't hear from your guru, so can only get -.7 degree negative camber in front with the shock tower bolts moved fully toward the center of the chassis in their slots. So my first mod might be adjustable camber plates.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:51 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon.
Alan
hey, you... dont ruin my dream.
just kidding, i know exactly what you mean.
and i am sure many cayman owner are very frustrated in this regard as well.

Quick Reply: Some thoughts on the Cayman