Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some thoughts on the Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:45 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't think the engineers were constrained when developing the 993/996/997? They were told to build the best sports car they could that had the engine hanging off the rear bumper. Now that's a marketing constraint!

I suspect they had much more freedom to build a true sports car with the Cayman. Up until it came time to pick a drivetrain.

For the record, I own a 996 race car and a 996 cab. But, I also recognize how great the Cayman already is and how much better it could be with a few more ponies.
Jim
Old 05-17-2006, 01:23 PM
mostserene1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disco - why wait a few years to see what the public thinks? I would disregard public opinion and buy what YOU like. Otherwise you'll end up in a mustang or taurus. *_*
Old 05-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Disco: Thousands of us are in the process of testing the Cayman for you and others now. Although I feel somewhat like one of the king's tasters, somebody's got to do it. I've never bought a new model the first year out before, but after reading the earliest test reports on the Cayman, I put deposits down at three different dealers. After over 4500 miles in the Cayman, including five autocrosses and one track event (with another coming this weekend), I'm very glad that I didn't wait to see what even more people thought about the car.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:21 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALL Porsche models are market driven. If you let engineers have free reign, we wouldn't be able to afford the cars and they'd probably be unlivable.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:06 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,706 Likes on 2,342 Posts

wait a few year??? i have no such patience. i took the very FIRST car from my dealer before the release date. i drove the **** out of it, on my 3rd set of tires, 2nd set of rotors, 3 sets of pads. 8500 miles on it today. NOT A SIGNLE PROB.

just out of curiousity, anyone has higher mileage than my cayman? if i add both cayman's mileage, it would be about 14k miles in 4.25 months... all smiles.

waiting for what the public say about it??? it's MY car. i decide what I SAY about it. i couldn't careless what that idiot clarkson guy say, do or announce.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:34 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm at 4300 miles since mid Feb; I'd have more miles on it if it weren't for all the other cars I *must* drive Headed out to PIR for its 4 track day. Only problem I have is the passenger window does not auto roll up when the door is closed.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:44 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the Cayman has a place in the Porsche line up, but I truly dislike this car, Call it a boxster coupe.I am sure it is a great little track car, when they put a turbo in i will look at it for my wife.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:46 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pstoppani
I'm at 4300 miles since mid Feb; I'd have more miles on it if it weren't for all the other cars I *must* drive .
poor pete, i'll fly up and help drive your elise free of charge.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:48 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kilrgt
I know the Cayman has a place in the Porsche line up, but I truly dislike this car, Call it a boxster coupe.I am sure it is a great little track car, when they put a turbo in i will look at it for my wife.
kilrgt. that's cool.
diff strokes for diff folks (did i get this right?). non native speaker here.
not everyone will like every porsche. personally i will never touch a porsche turbo, but that's just me. however, i do have tremendous respect for them, i just dont want to own one. GT3's...... hahahaha i am now on my 3rd one. almost bought a 4th. then wife intervened.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:11 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know the Cayman has a place in the Porsche line up, but I truly dislike this car, Call it a boxster coupe..
"Boxster Coupe" is precisely what Porsche world has been waiting for. A "driver's Porsche". 100% (backseats are for old guys and women's shopping bags).

I can't recall another time when a roadster was soooo good they decided to make 'a regular' car out of it. it even got BMW to get in on the act with Z4 coupe!
Old 05-19-2006, 02:14 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Cayman S is a great car, dont get me wrong, and maybe i should have said I do have some respect for them , its a great handling car and it wears the crest, but Porsche i think has gone backwards with the direction they are going. I gotta say and please dont forget i am talking canadian $$ here, if i were going to spend 90 - 95 K on a Cayman, i would know that the 911 is only a few $ away 105 k. Maybe some of the people buying the cars are only concerned with the nameplate and i can understand that to a certain point . True to form Porsche is giving you less and charging more, I think the Cayman should be priced below the Boxster. and bla bla bla yea its a 3.4 and bla bla this and that, its still a Boxster coupe with a higher price tag.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:19 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

"Boxster Coupe" doesn't make any sense considering the origins of the Boxster name.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:30 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Cayman S is a great car, dont get me wrong, and maybe i should have said I do have some respect for them , its a great handling car and it wears the crest, but Porsche i think has gone backwards with the direction they are going. I gotta say and please dont forget i am talking canadian $$ here, if i were going to spend 90 - 95 K on a Cayman, i would know that the 911 is only a few $ away 105 k. Maybe some of the people buying the cars are only concerned with the nameplate and i can understand that to a certain point . True to form Porsche is giving you less and charging more, I think the Cayman should be priced below the Boxster. and bla bla bla yea its a 3.4 and bla bla this and that, its still a Boxster coupe with a higher price tag.
Yep Porsche definitely got greedy with this one.
But that's not the car's fault!

I think they could have sold allot more of these to the non-911 enamored crowd (mid engine folks) if they would have knocked 15K off the sticker.
But the consequences of that many Caymans with the interior ripped out, scorching around tracks all across the country could have had a negative effect on credibility of their flagship (and slower) non-gt3/gt2/turbo 911's.

seems like Porsche is intentionaly trying to keep the demmand low with a hefty price tag. If Supply does turn out to be low, Wait until the 2nd hand prices come down. People are going to pounce on this car like if it were '73 RS at a 1/2 off sale.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Dan V
Race Car

"I can't recall another time when a roadster was soooo good they decided to make 'a regular' car out of it."

you must be a lot younger than me. I recall it being done in the 60s quite a lot:

MG - MGB > MGB-GT
Triumph - Spitfire > GT6
Jaguar - E-type roadster > coupe

I wish I could have all of them, plus the Cayman.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:55 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

More recently, Z3 - Z3 Coupe and of course Z4 - Z4 Coupe.
There have been rumors in the past that Mazda would produce a coupe Miata. Also there were rumors of a coupe S2000. The Boxster Coupe rumors started as far back as 2000; I wanted one for my 40th B-Day but in 2002 it still did not exist so I just bought a Boxster S, removed the silly soft top and installed a proper rollbar and the hardtop and my own Boxster Coupe will Porsche took their time bring us the Cayman. God it was a long wait and it was worth it! What a fantastic car. It loves to 4 wheel drift! Isnt' that right Mooty?

Quick Reply: Some thoughts on the Cayman