Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPORTEC "Stage 1"

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 11:02 PM
mbodo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPORTEC "Stage 1"

Just saw this on another site earlier this week .. anyone here have any first hand experience with this outfit? Waiting on information back from one of their US distributers.

http://www.sportec.ch/upload/docs/PD...ter_Cayman.pdf
Old 05-02-2006, 02:09 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be very careful if I were you. Most of these "tuning" numbers cab only be reached going downhill with a tailwind.

I don't even know what exacly they mean by 3.8 conversion, if it's real cc's or 3.8-like.

Funny how only a few HP and lb/ft make a .2 sec difference in 0-60 in a 3000 lb car...

Nice marketing brochure though.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:31 PM
mbodo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

So I take it you haven't heard of them, nor have used them. Thanks for the speculation, though.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

sportec is big with audi, they have been around. Good stuff.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:12 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mbodo
Just saw this on another site earlier this week .. anyone here have any first hand experience with this outfit? Waiting on information back from one of their US distributers.

http://www.sportec.ch/upload/docs/PD...ter_Cayman.pdf
Sportec deliver what they say they do. They are a highly professional company with which I have had direct expereince. One of my Porsches they upgraded is still owned by myself. $
They do far more Porsches now than Audis by the way.
Sportec are best known in the USA for their Audi work. Guenther flies over to the USA a couple of times a year to do the Audis.
Their upgrades can be quite expensive, but I can assure you that they deliver value for money and when they say 700HP they mean and you will walk away with the documentation to prove it. You are also permitted to attend the whole process from disassembly to testing of the modifications. Ueli Hodel is a genius when it comes to ensuring you drive away happy.
You can see the work they did for me on my web site.
The only two tuning companies I recommend are Sportec and RUF because I have direct personal experience with both and have never been disappointed by their products.
Ciao,
Adrian.

PS: Some years ago I had a minor promotional affiliation with Sportec, but that ended in November 2004 under the old management. They promoted my first book and I promoted them after they modified my 964.
I hold the new owners/management their employees and their standard of work in very high regard, but I have no direct involvement or affiliation with them anymore.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:22 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adrian, nice to see you around here. Can we get your opinion of the Boxster and Cayman? Pardon me if I missed it elsewhere. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by designman
Adrian, nice to see you around here. Can we get your opinion of the Boxster and Cayman? Pardon me if I missed it elsewhere. Thanks.
I only answered the query about Sportec from an informed position. I don't normally hang out on other Porsche model forums. I do check in every now and again.
To answer your question directly I firstly have to say that I have never owned a Boxster (S) nor Cayman.
The Boxster and Boxster S I have driven and I found them to be well balanced sports cars. The Boxster is not a car that I would own though because its essentially a Cabriolet and I prefer Coupes. I am unashamadely a 911 guy.
As for the Cayman I can only comment on its looks having only sat in one and looked it over.
The front end is really nice however the rear end is not my style. Maybe its something you can get used to, but its not me. Purely a personal observation though.
I saw the original Cayman prototype in Nov 2002 and I believe that looked better at the rear end than what was finally produced.
From all accounts from the people that I know who own one, they love them.
It's also good that Porsche introduced what I call a breath of fresh air into their model range by releasing the Cayman. Hopefully it will appeal to a wider range of buyers, increasing the numbers in the Porsche club at no other model's expense.
I will flash and wave at Boxster and Cayman owners also.
Ciao,
Adrian.

Last edited by Adrian; 05-14-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: SPORTEC "Stage 1"