Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche for Commute

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 11:07 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I've got the 2.5i with 5-speed, sans sports package. I think the 18" wheels have added some steering feedback (I bought a set of the Ellipsoid wheels - type 107 - on eBay), I think that's about the limit for the Z4. I had been planning on upgrading the suspension to Dinan Stage 1, but like a lot of people that have done the tire swap, I'm happy enough with the ride now that I think no more changes may be necessary. I think BMW really screwed the car by putting those run-flats on it.

When I was test driving roadsters, the Boxster wasn't as solid as the Z4, whose chassis is stiffer than the 3-series coupe and almost as stiff as the sedan. As the reviewers always tend to write, the Boxster is a better cohesive package, even when it comes up short against the competition in other areas. It's kind of like the rationale for Captain America in the comics - Cap isn't as strong or skilled as other heroes, he's not a super-genius, but he's pure of heart and has mastered the fundamentals so he always wins in the end. The Boxster and Cayman may not be the best in all areas, but they're darned good in all of them.

But I happen to value strengths of the Z4, and I still feel the Boxster and Cayman are a bit overpriced for what you get - it's better but not better enough. The Z4 line will likely be replaced in 2009, and I'm planning to get a black 3.0si with optional hardtop and keep it until it's a classic.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:04 PM
T951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always think that porsches are great commuter cars. Great acceleration, and better brakes that don't fade. I think the brakes on my other Porsche saved me 100x. They are also good for the quick evasive manuevers that seem to be a part of life.

I'm glad you liked the Cayman better. I want this car to succeed as much as possible. Not to start a war here, but the Z4 is not even close. It may be close on paper but not in reality. (Not to mention it is one of the most hideous designs on the road....but I digress).

Right now I have an older 911, but my wife and I are discussing the merits of a 911 or the Cayman S. I have to say, it is not as easy a decision as I thought. (we are some time out from getting one, but its great to see this car getting the reviews it does).

t.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:56 AM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by T951
I'm glad you liked the Cayman better. I want this car to succeed as much as possible. Not to start a war here, but the Z4 is not even close. It may be close on paper but not in reality. (Not to mention it is one of the most hideous designs on the road....but I digress).
No chance of a war, but do check out the link for the video of the 5th Gear review. But I want the Cayman to succeed as well because - and I know this is heresy - I think the 911 has seen it's best days and Porsche should move on to a new platform. I think the Cayman would make a good replacement.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Although I telecommute much of the time, I drive my 996 as much as possible--mostly 10 or so miles every other day. I love it. It's such a joy, a down-right thrill. The great visibility, excellent torque, wonderful ergonomics, good reliability, and even decent gas mileage make it a great daily driver.

I'd argue that among the many sports car choices available for less than $100k, the 997 or cayman would be a great daily driver and a wonderful commuter.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Murat
Advanced

Thanx everyone for their comments. As I researched more, I came across this european delivery program. BMW and MB have better programs and cost savings compared to Porsche as I understand. Which brings SLK back to my top 3 list
Has anyone gone through this European Delivery Experience?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:29 PM
paralizer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Murat
I test drove other convertibles, as well. Z4 and the SLK. I would rank them as boxster, z4 and SLK being last.
I like the idea of having a convertible, especially when the weather is suitable, but
1. There is something about he Cayman S's design I like better. The top makes it look like a Carrera I guess.
2. While I was test driving the Z4, someone yelled at me "Sissy!" , you should have seen the salesman's face
3. When I asked about his opinion, the Porsche dealer told me that he thinks boxster is a "girly car" in his own words
4. I don't how often I would really be opening the top in San Francisco. It rained like hell this winter.
1. Looks are subjective and thats a question you'll have to answer yourself.
2. Are you really that concerned about someone's perception of you, or your car.
3. I suspect if the salesman's boss heard that statement that is one salesman that would get an earful from the boss. Some of the cars that are the most fun were "girly" cars. The Miata and Boxster are 2 such cars. However that image is quickly dispelled on a track. And I've turned some of the manliest men into fans of those cars. The Boxster is a great driving car and the best car I've ever owned. This is coming from someone who has owned many, many cars.
4. I've owned multiple convertibles in the Bay Area. Live on the penninsula, work in SF. I run top down 8-9 months a year. If it's sunny 50 or above top is down.

Bottom line is the 987 is a great car for commuting, playing, and running errands. I rack up at least 1k miles a month commuting. And with 2 trunks I can carry most things I need no problem. In the end buy the car that makes you happy. And screw what anybody else thinks.
Paralizer
'06 987S
Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
there's nothing noisy or uncomfortable about a newer Porsche. they're made for commuting!
and......they'll still smoke the older cars around a track!!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Murat
Advanced

Originally Posted by paralizer

1. Looks are subjective and thats a question you'll have to answer yourself.
2. Are you really that concerned about someone's perception of you, or your car.
3. I suspect if the salesman's boss heard that statement that is one salesman that would get an earful from the boss. Some of the cars that are the most fun were "girly" cars. The Miata and Boxster are 2 such cars. However that image is quickly dispelled on a track. And I've turned some of the manliest men into fans of those cars. The Boxster is a great driving car and the best car I've ever owned. This is coming from someone who has owned many, many cars.
4. I've owned multiple convertibles in the Bay Area. Live on the penninsula, work in SF. I run top down 8-9 months a year. If it's sunny 50 or above top is down.

Bottom line is the 987 is a great car for commuting, playing, and running errands. I rack up at least 1k miles a month commuting. And with 2 trunks I can carry most things I need no problem. In the end buy the car that makes you happy. And screw what anybody else thinks.
Paralizer
'06 987S
Thank you for answering my questions completely. I can see how you and other people on this forum are passionate about their Porsches
As far as perception of others; Sure, it is a factor for me. Just like I'd like to hear others say "Nice car, awesome, cool, etc" , I do not like being yelled at "sissy, mama, girly car...etc"
Old 04-27-2006, 11:35 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Murat
As far as perception of others; Sure, it is a factor for me. Just like I'd like to hear others say "Nice car, awesome, cool, etc" , I do not like being yelled at "sissy, mama, girly car...etc"
The problem is you can't control the perceptions of others. Some will think your Porsche is cool while others will think you are an a*$hole trying to show off. Some will think you were too poor to afford a "real Porsche". Get the car you like the most and forget about what other people think. No matter what you do, some people will like it and others won't. Looking for universal approval is a game you will never win.

Alan

Quick Reply: Porsche for Commute