Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono not so great at the track...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006 | 11:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

my car doesnt have sport chrono. but i test droven one over 100 miles.
for street use, it FEEL more powerful. let me try to explain. let say i have to depress the throttle two clicks to get accelaration X in non sport chrono cars, i only have to depress the throttle one click to get the same accelearation. it's kind of fun at first, but then you get used to it. for me it's no big deal.

on track, the car isnt' nearly as pwrful as your noble and gt3 obviously and with your experience, you will be wot just about everywhere, so you will not be missing any benefits of sport chrono if any.

also i just dont like the clock on the dash.

see pm.
Old 07-06-2006 | 11:39 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Ring: Your intended application is the same as mine (drive car to/from track), and I indicated before that the PASM and Sport Chrono work well for me. It took two sessions on track for me to get used to the quicker throttle response and drive smoothly, but now I really like it. The second function that comes with Sport Chrono is the timer with the clock in the middle of the dash. I haven't tried timing my laps yet (it takes too much concentration away from track driving to work the lever), but I time some sections on the road with it. My best time to the grocery store so far is 4:07.
Old 07-08-2006 | 04:31 PM
lwilkins
Instructor

According to the manual, if both front tires go into ABS, then PSM reactivates.

So, this is largely preventable.

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
I've never driven a hair-trigger throttle before, but I'm learning how to use it. I was somewhat disappointed after my first day a VIR, and part of that was not knowing how to use the quick throttle. A friend rode with me the first session the next day and it was a whole different, and positive, experience. Now I'm starting to like it, except on the road, where I prefer the standard throttle response. I still need to learn more about how to use the strange (to me anyway) gear ratios.

PSM may still be lurking when turned off, but I've read that it will only be activated when ABS is activated. Thus, it won't intervene to keep the car from spinning, or crashing for that matter.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono not so great at the track...