Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986 spare tire on 987?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 02:23 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Tom - just curious - at that angle - how much clearance is there to the inside of the frunk lid? On mine, I tip the bottom of the tire toward the front of the car to lower the height to about what the compartment cover behind it is. I haven't tried any crushable foam to see how much clearance there really is - but it seems awfully close to me.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:06 AM
WAILN6
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Not sure I posted this pic here- but this seems preferable to epoxy and you can put a false floor on it.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:38 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

Pulled this from another rennlister's post. If I cut a cardboard template with a hole in the amp is, and cover it with mouse hair felt, I can then mount the tire up against the piece of cardboard (which I could then replace with the factory piece if modified), which would give me just enough clearance (take the air out of the tire so no pressure on the hood) and maximize frunk space. Of course the simplest thing would be to tilt the tire like Don does. But then what useless challenge will I have.
Don, Wailn,
The hood closes with the regular spare upright. But i feel resistance which means there is some pressure. If i get rid of the board, like what Wailn did and stand it upright, there is about 1/16 of an inch between the top of the tire, and the top of the hood. If the picture uploads, that is from me taking a piece of string across the hood, then opening the hood. Not the most precise.
That's why i was thinking of the collapsible spare Wailn has. But those go for a lot more $$ and i already have the other spare. I like what Wailn did, but the tech inspectors may give me a hassle if i move the amp. The car has a strong track history, and the PO built the motor for enduros. But it is also in concourse condition, with crimson calipers.

The board is held in place by two nubs on the floor. The tire fits in there perfectly keeping it from rocking left to right. I may cut a piece of cardboard to match the board without the step it has. if that allows me to put the tire the inch or so farther back, i may Velcro the pump and tool kit to the storage area where the CD changer would go - assuming they would fit. Then if a that works, i can take the board that i got off eBay and cut the step out.

Wailn, you and I are on the same page regarding the plate. I bought a 3.5" square plate with a 1/2" slot for about $2.25 at lowes.
I typed the response on the computer, and added the pictures from the phone. What a PITA.
Top picture is what i think is the clearance without the board/panel.
Second picture is test fit with the panel. Everything looks great, but there is slight resistance when i close the hood.
Third is what it looks like without the spare. You can see where i cut the eBay panel/board. I can pull the bolt out when on the track, and the only thing showing will be the small piece of the hinge base which will be firmly attached to the car, so OK for the track.
To do: see how far the amp sticks out, and how hard it would be to cut the plastic panel where it is, leaving the carpet intact, and making the panel flush, and seeing if the pump and tool kit will fit in the spot where the cd changer goes. That would be my easiest, and give me the most room in the frunk, which for the track is not as essential as it was two weeks ago. I bought the 4' tire trailer from the PO since it wont work with his GT4.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:55 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

I posted a how to of what I ended up doing. Here is the link. Mounting A Spare In A 987.1 Frunk - How To - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 02-13-2023, 10:22 PM
Toadster
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire for 987

Originally Posted by BigLou
Will a 986 spare tire fit on a 987? Has anyone tried this? I would assume it does, unless the bolt patterns are different or the brakes get in the way.
I would guess the spare would fit in the front unless the front compartment configuration has been changed in some way.

I would consider a new boxster in the future, but can't stand not having a spare. A can of fix-a-flat wont do me any good if the tire gets torn or has a large puncture. And what good is road side service going to do? Do they come out and just tow it or do they have a spare for you to use?

Thanks,
Lou
i have searched this thread and still don’t really have answer. I know the 986 ( 17 inch rim) will fit in my 987( 18 inch rim ).
the question is am I going to damage the car running a slightly smaller diameter on the rear or front. Even if I move the front to the back ( stock front tire is smaller in diameter than the stock back )
Old 02-14-2023, 01:35 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

millions and millions of cars were sold back in the 80-90's that had OEM "compact" spare tires with a much smaller diameter rims. i once rented a car at the denver, co airport, had a flat within five miles and was forced to mount (on the berm of interstate 70 in golden, co) the "compact" spare tire. it looks ridiculous BTW when mounted. anyway... i continued on to steamboat springs resort with a entire car full of anxious vacationers, in miserable weather, without issue. IMO, it's a legitimate solution. the main issue is ensuring clearance for trunk, fender and brakes is sufficient maintained, both when stored and mounted.

i wouldn't be surprised if "self-inflating" ones were offered to save even more space. dumping one in the front trunk, wouldn't be much of a problem, space-wise, i wouldn't think. ...don't forget the bolt hole pattern must match too.

probably should fit a proper wheel and tire for track-days though.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 02-14-2023 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:50 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,575 Likes on 975 Posts

Yes. The 986 “donut” spare fits the 987. The purpose of the “donut” spare is to get you to the nearest tire shop. So long as you use it for that, it is fine.

Quick Reply: 986 spare tire on 987?