Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove Cayman S Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:04 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
cp,

no offense taken. but one of the reason i wanted cayman over GT3 is it's slower so one, i can learn how to be a better driver instead of pedal smasher, two, since it's slower, i have more ppl to play with (993, 964, m3 so forth, where as GT3 just blows by all those)...
John,

What you just said reminded me of Jim Morton's immortal words: I never worked as hard driving a spec Miata compared to my 993tt.

With a low HP car, you rely on corner speeds and skills to shine. If you have 1,000 HP, you can take every corner in first gear and still make up for it in the straights.

That is why if I go the Cayman route, I'll likely buy the non-S version. There's plenty of HP for street use, and it could be a hundred pounds lighter. But boy on Woodside Road......

CP
Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
John,

What you just said reminded me of Jim Morton's immortal words: I never worked as hard driving a spec Miata compared to my 993tt.

With a low HP car, you rely on corner speeds and skills to shine. If you have 1,000 HP, you can take every corner in first gear and still make up for it in the straights.

That is why if I go the Cayman route, I'll likely buy the non-S version. There's plenty of HP for street use, and it could be a hundred pounds lighter. But boy on Woodside Road......

CP
CP,

take it from me..fresh from driving the RS in Singapore for the last 6 weeks..

If I had the RS and Cayman in the same garage, I would be taking the cayman keys alot more...
Old 01-31-2006, 01:08 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fongster
CP,

take it from me..fresh from driving the RS in Singapore for the last 6 weeks..

If I had the RS and Cayman in the same garage, I would be taking the cayman keys alot more...
Fong,

Now that's almost blesphamy on the 993 Forum. But I like it.

CP
Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Old 01-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CP
Fong,

Now that's almost blesphamy on the 993 Forum. But I like it.

CP

CP,

blast me all they want..but I drive all my cars everwhere, they dont sit in the garage for me to go "gaga" over.. nightclubs, track, b-roads...there comes a time, when modern things are just so much better...
Thus I can say I dont sit my cars in the garage.. I admit it when there is something better..
Old 01-31-2006, 01:13 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Old 01-31-2006, 01:20 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fongster
CP,

blast me all they want..but I drive all my cars everwhere, they dont sit in the garage for me to go "gaga" over.. nightclubs, track, b-roads...there comes a time, when modern things are just so much better...
Thus I can say I dont sit my cars in the garage.. I admit it when there is something better..
Hear Hear....

I do treasure my RUF as it is beautiful, walks the walk and ultra-rare.

But for an every day fun car, I'd take the Cayman: Lighter, more nimble and balanced, more safety features, park anywhere, more trunk space, and better driving mileage range.

So in those senses, the Cayman is a 'better' car.

CP
Old 01-31-2006, 01:26 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CP
So in those senses, the Cayman is a 'better' car.
CP
yikes..you said a bad word...
Old 01-31-2006, 01:57 AM
CP
Race Director

John, Fongster,

Can you imagine what a properly set-up Cayman can do in the corners? Please tell me what suspension mods you are considering?

Also, you switched to after-market seats. That means you lost the side air-bags?

CP
Old 01-31-2006, 02:13 AM
Fongster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CP
John, Fongster,

Can you imagine what a properly set-up Cayman can do in the corners? Please tell me what suspension mods you are considering?

Also, you switched to after-market seats. That means you lost the side air-bags?

CP

what do you mean "can do in the corners"?

Given today's experience with the stock Cayman..I would say it can do alot .. if not everything..
Old 01-31-2006, 02:14 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i have GT3 race seat in my cayman (driver side) see pix above.
i dont have side are bags anymore.

no one has suspension for cayman as of yet. i konw cayman will be racing grand am next year, so jrz, moton, ohlin and such will definitely have something out by then. but all these suspensions are very noisy. personally i won't change the suspension one bit if you don't track. i didn't have prob. hanging with some very fast cars and i wasn't feeling like i was being thrown all over the cabin having to brace myself.

Last edited by mooty; 01-31-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:22 AM
CP
Race Director

no one has suspension for cayman as of yet. i konw cayman will be racing grand am next year, so jrz, moton, ohlin and such will definitely have something out by then. but all these suspensions are very noisy. personally i wont' change the suspension one bit if you dont track. i didn't have prob. haning wiht some very fast cars and i wasn't feeling like i was being thrown all over the cabin having to brace myself.
John,

I won't put PSS9s or anything like on a street Cayman. At least not in the first 40k miles. I may look into lowering the car a little bit though.

Fong,

By 'what it can do' I mean how tenaciously it will grip on blisteringly fast turns. I once felt my eyeballs rolling sideways during a turn in my RUF. The Cayman must be another notch higher yet.

CP
Old 01-31-2006, 10:55 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

you can't lower cayman with stock suspension unless you have PASM.
if you have normal suspension like mine, you will need some lowering springs, which i am not sure they are available yet ugh.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:47 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dadc4s
The cayman is the sports car now, the Carrera is the GT car.
That about Sums it up for me after driving a 996 daily for 2 years, then a 993 for a year and a half...the Cayman, to me, blends the [relative] comfort and convenience of the 996/997 with the more raw, sports car feel of the 993.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

i have GT3 race seat in my cayman (driver side) see pix above.
i dont have side are bags anymore.

no one has suspension for cayman as of yet. i konw cayman will be racing grand am next year, so jrz, moton, ohlin and such will definitely have something out by then. but all these suspensions are very noisy. personally i won't change the suspension one bit if you don't track. i didn't have prob. hanging with some very fast cars and i wasn't feeling like i was being thrown all over the cabin having to brace myself.
Do you gain or lose any headroom by using the GT3 seat? You didn't run into any electrical issues by having to disconnect the airbag in the stock seats?

Quick Reply: Drove Cayman S Today