Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove Cayman S Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:51 AM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

The 1995 993 was actually quoted at 270HP.

The times achieved in these tests do seem remarkably quick.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:12 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Dan,

The 0-60 times are amazingly quick for a 280+ HP car. That is considering that an E39 M5 with 400 HP does 4.8 seconds 0-60.

I have always thought the 993 is in the 5+ seconds range.

CP
Just reporting what the mag printed. I've always taken C&D's acceleration #s w/a grain of salt. I think they drop the cars off a huge cliff & clock them on the way down.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:55 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

It's tough to compare a heavy 4 door sedan to a 993. It's all about horsepower to weight ratio and gearing. The E39 M5 is a neat car though....
Old 01-09-2006, 01:20 PM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a link to a site where someone compiled the performance stats from various sources for the 964 and 993 models. Might provide a more rounded perspective on the tested performance of the older cars.

http://www.weissach.net/964-993_RoadTestSummary.html

I'm sure the newer Porsches, like the Cayman S, will only prove to be faster.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:20 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
I think they drop the cars off a huge cliff & clock them on the way down.
LOL. I think they actually beat them worse than that to get the low times they print in the magazine tests.

Alan
Old 01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting comments. My friend has a CaymanS on order. He's always driven Bimmers (M3, M5).
btw,They have promo spread in Vanity Fair of all places for the CaymanS.

I think anyone worried about 0-60 times really shouldn't be looking at this car. I've never understood the fascination. Sure its great but eventually you get used to it and want more and more and more and more. Where does it end? Maybe that $1M Buggati with 1000 HP that Beckham just ordered?

What does worry me about the CaymanS is the over engineering of these new Porsches.
I'd like Lexus reliability and low maintenance but I don't want the car being as easy to drive as a Merc that now brakes and throttles for you in Cruise control.
I read that several experienced P-car drivers shifted too late (6,000 RPMs) on the Rev counter because the CaymanS doesn't have that visceral feel at 4000 RPMs. That's something I would tinker with right away.

p.s.
Can I get the CaymanS with a 986/996 interior?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:33 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"the CaymanS doesn't have that visceral feel at 4000 RPMs"

Could you elaborate on that<?>

tino
Old 01-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too tough to explain. So are the over-engineered, too easy to drive, and drivers shifted too late at 6k rpm parts.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

I read that several experienced P-car drivers shifted too late (6,000 RPMs) on the Rev counter because the CaymanS doesn't have that visceral feel at 4000 RPMs. That's something I would tinker with right away.

cayman or any porsche for that matter are SLOW cars compared to their respective mkt segment. z4 coupe is way hell faster than cayman s, z06 will eat GT3 (including cup cars) alive going straight, but over 50 laps on a track i think the only car that will not melt is porsche. i know b/c i melted many of my track cars.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Okay, JRoss, I drove my new Cayman home from the dealer's today using the curvy two-lane back road with plenty of elevation changes. I first had to get around a tractor, then a truck, then through the fog, but after all that ... well, I won't be trying to buy my RSA back. I went much faster through the damp curves and esses than I thought I would on my first drive, simply because the car inspires such confidence. There were two tight esses where the variable ratio steering proved its worth. Although I somehow managed to keep rpms to my own set 5000 limit, I would not have been able to keep up with myself in the RSA. I'm a very happy boy.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:58 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Jim,

I love tossing a car around esses on mountain roads. On some of these roads I think my 96 SC'ed Miata was more fun than my RUF. (pure blesphamy to most Porsche owners I'm sure) I just do not feel as confident in my RUF. May be I need to learn how to drive the RUF better, but some cars are just natural in tight curves and brisk transitions. I hope the Caymen, being a mid-engine car, is just such an animal.

Would love to read an in-depth review after you have more seat time. Enjoy.

CP
Old 01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

CP: I think the Cayman is just such an animal. Others' driving descriptions have suggested so, and I agree. I think the "tossing the car around esses" phrase applies to the 911's, but maybe not to the Cayman or Boxster. In my RSA I approached the esses with a plan to use the throttle more and be ready to make fine adjustments if necessary. With the Cayman, I just drove the car through with the steering wheel under constant throttle. It was obvious that I never approached the car's limits, not that I was trying to. Anyone riding with me in the Cayman would be wowed by the car rather than my driving prowess.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Okay, JRoss, I drove my new Cayman home from the dealer's today using the curvy two-lane back road with plenty of elevation changes. I first had to get around a tractor, then a truck, then through the fog, but after all that ... well, I won't be trying to buy my RSA back. I went much faster through the damp curves and esses than I thought I would on my first drive, simply because the car inspires such confidence. There were two tight esses where the variable ratio steering proved its worth. Although I somehow managed to keep rpms to my own set 5000 limit, I would not have been able to keep up with myself in the RSA. I'm a very happy boy.
I wonder how you would feel in a Boxster?

It sounds like this is your first experience in a mid-engined car.

They inherently handle better and inspire confidence.

Just a thought.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:37 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Olav A.
They inherently handle better and inspire confidence.
Works for me

Alan
Old 01-12-2006, 04:25 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up Drove the Cayman S and my C4S back to back today

Drove a new Cayman S today, 19 inchers, no PASM. Wow. Incredibly nimble, awesome turn-in and crispness, great sound to the motor and a surprisingly quiet and comfortable ride, despite not having PASM and with the sport seats.
Compared to the 996 C4S:
Cayman more nimble, better turn in and steering feel. Feels lighter.
Could not tell appreciable difference in "speed" or quickness
Cayman is a smaller car inside and out, cabin is "small" and felt a little claustrophobic.
The cayman is the sports car now, the Carrera is the GT car. Both great, quite different. I think the Cayman S may well be my next Porsche.

Quick Reply: Drove Cayman S Today