Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S at Porsche Driving Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Boxster S at Porsche Driving Experience

Just returned from the 2-day PDE class. Awesome experience, if a bit steeply priced. Instruction is first class but not very individualized. The track and overall facility are amazing!

Set some of the fastest laps around the Auto-X with the 987S, of course I was kinda a ringer since I have owned one for 3 months

With no disrespect to the 911 (I loved the 997s on the track) it was funny to see all the drivers experience the Boxster S with most of them remarking how much better the car handled than the Carrera. Several guys mentioned they'd purchase a 987 over a base 997, which was confirmation for me since I made thay exact choice based on my pre-purchase back to back driving test.

I will head back to Barber in the spring with my car and see how it handles around the road course.

Anyway, just some anecdotal data for those of you interested.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:15 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few more trips to Barber, and you''ll graduate to the 911 camp. The boxster is easier to drive but the real thrill (on the track)) is the 911, one you get the hang of it (pun intended)!
Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,671 Likes on 2,333 Posts

box S (i had 986s) and 996/997's drive very differently. you can get in a box and be fast from the get go. it takes years of INTENSIVE learning to drive a 911 even at 50%. some ppl never like the swinging *** of the carerras as it is an acquired taste. i had a 996 and a 986S at the same time, i liked the boxS more at first, after 12 months, i liked the 996 more. i still love the boxsterS, but i like how the carerras force you to be on your toes and keep the right foot down attitude ;-)
Old 12-12-2005, 09:31 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I am an experienced driver (30+ DEs), and I learned to drive on my 2 993 models at Road Atlanta with no PSM.

I realize the Boxster is easier for people to feel comfrotable in, but I don't think it's easy to to drive up to its limits...mid-engine cars offer their own challenge at high cornering speeds (lifting is bad here too). I think mastering the car will be a fun challenge. Most people's comments were about how much more agile the car was, how it turned in and stayed on a line, and how it felt more raw (smaller, less luxurious) than the base 997s we tracked at PDE.

I'll have the 987 on the track in the spring when it's out of break-in, and will report back on the differences. The base 997 was a nice drive, but didn't impress me with my experience in the Boxster. The 997 S felt like a totally different car, and will likely be my next purchase.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I've taken both the 911 (996 C4S) and the 987S to the track. They are two different cars. The 987S is definitely more agile, more forgiving, and more confidence inspiring. For any given speed, the 987S FEELS faster, due to it's more "raw" driving ambiance. My wife, who has NEVER been on the track, was easily the fastest in her group around corners on the 987S first time out. The 911, specifically the 996 C4S, is more intimidating, but is faster and more rewarding due to the extra effort needed to make it go faster. Just my .02.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Thanks Palting. Were you on street tires? Any track prep done? Any other feedback on the car on the track in the hands of an experienced driver?

I liked learning to drive in a 911, I'm just in a drop top phase and want to explore mid-engine handling. It's too bad Porsche won't put the 325 Hp motor in the 987 and let other preferences (refinement, options, price, engine location, # seats) drive consumer's choices. I think the Boxster/Cayman is a great platform.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Chris, the car was on Dunlop SSR's, a sorta hybrid R-compound/street tire rather than an honest R-compound. PASM was set to Sport, and PSM was off for me and on for the wife. Otherwise, the car was bone stock.

I'd call myself an avid track rat, not an "experienced driver" as you say, since there are a lot of people on the track with lots more experience than I. I've experimented with braking zones, turn-ins, lines and what-not with the 987S to explore and learn techniques different from the C4S. I gotta tell you, it's very hard to make the 987S get away from you. Truly forgiving. Let's you get into fun and funny situations that would otherwise be unrecoverable with the 911. I still need more seat time in the 987S, though, to truly explore it's capabilities and how it relates to my limitations.

Not sure PDE ( Porsche Driving Experience) is a good venue for exploring the cars capabilities, though. Don't they restrict you by limiting RPM's and speeds?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I am looking forward to exploring the Boxster's handling. It's down on power compared with many cars I'll meet on the track, but so was my 993. It will be interesting to see how and where the handling differences translate into an advantage on the track.

I will look into the SSRs...I like the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, because I can drive them to the track and back.

My car doesn't have sport chrono (or PASM) so I am a little concerned about PSM stepping in. I did not experience a PSM correction once though in the 997 cars in 2 days on the track, so I am hoping for the best (and smooth inputs!). Interestingly, none of the pros recommended using PASM in sport mode at Barber (a new and fairly smooth track) and after several comparison laps I have to agree. The 997s were great in normal mode. They even had the sport button disabled in the Carrera S to prevent you from using the more forgiving PSM settings!

PDE does not limit speeds or RPMs, other than keeping your run group from getting in over their heads in a follow the leader format. My group was pretty quick, and Hurley was pushing us around at a good clip--particularly in the 997 S. (The ceramic brakes were stellar!!)

I will be driving my car to Barber for a PCA event...they don't allow the Boxsters (used for Auto-X) on the track in the PDE.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,671 Likes on 2,333 Posts

chris, i have over 100 track days 25,000 track miles in last three years, yes bad bad addiction. i don't mean to say you aren't a good driver thus you like boxS, if i sounded that way, i apologize. i am just saying they are different. and indeed at the limit, a carerra is actually easier to control than boxS. i just drove 997 997s 987s today back to back. i don't like 997, only little more powerful than 987s but a lot more money. the 997s is nice, but feels like a fast car, did't speak to me like the GT3 or the boxS. i may pick one up soon :-)
Old 12-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Interestingly, none of the pros recommended using PASM in sport mode at Barber (a new and fairly smooth track) and after several comparison laps I have to agree. The 997s were great in normal mode. They even had the sport button disabled in the Carrera S to prevent you from using the more forgiving PSM settings!
Really! That seems counter to what they were designed for. Although I've never driven it on "normal" for the track, it's what I prefer for the street. Better for the kidneys with expansion joints and potholes. I have to say that at the normal setting, the 987S rear end feels very "bouncy", and the car as a whole seems to want to plow more. I'll have to try that next time on the track. I'll try and keep an open mind, but I would think setting PASM to normal rather than sport would let the car wobble more in quick left to right transitions, be more unsteady with rapid elevation changes, and be more difficult to rotate and steer with the right foot. Certainly less "go-kart" like.

Enjoy yourself at Barber. Once you get comfortable, try turning PSM off. It still steps in if you really go crazy, but having it off lets you do more fun stunts. Dunno if it's faster with the PSM off, but it's a lot more fun .

Quick Reply: Boxster S at Porsche Driving Experience