Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ordering a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:18 PM
fast lane
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ordering a new car?

I'm just curious, has anyone here that is ordering a cayman ever ordered a car that they have never seen in person? With all due respect I don't think I would be able to order a car that I've only seen pics of. Although I am very excited to see the cayman and I have no doubt that the performance will be awesome, I'm one of those people that has to be able to touch it before I buy.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:47 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Haven't ordered a Cayman, but I ordered my old M Coupe (2000, S50) sight-unseen... best car I've ever owned (subjectively)...

Sometimes you just get that feeling...
Old 09-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For some people, there's a thrill in being "first on the block" to own something. More power to 'em.

I could buy a car sight unseen, but would want to have really done my homework beforehand. Professional reviews would carry extra weight in that situation.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:53 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fast lane
I'm just curious, has anyone here that is ordering a cayman ever ordered a car that they have never seen in person? With all due respect I don't think I would be able to order a car that I've only seen pics of. Although I am very excited to see the cayman and I have no doubt that the performance will be awesome, I'm one of those people that has to be able to touch it before I buy.
I've had. A couple of times. I don't buy a car b/c of the way it looks. I need no more than the brochure or magazine pics to get an idea that it would not be horrible. I buy them because of the Performance, and for that I do a lot of research and trust some relevant sources of feedback.

Neither am I the first one to jump over new models. I hate waiting lists, MSRP markups, and prefer to have more options available at the time of order. I usually research a lot, and walk into the dealer and get I want. Instant satisfaction.

In the case of the Cayman S I'm a big midengine fan (Currently own a Lotus Elise), I have driven a Boxster S, but I'm not a convertible fan. So, I know I like the way it handles (better than a 911 IMO), so it can only be better with a proper roof, stiffer chasis and suspension and more power. Seeing it would not change my mind. Another better car that appears between now and order time might as well as winning the lottery and getting that F430 I deserve!

Old 09-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Cayman is the first car that I've ordered that I didn't see and drive before hand. After reading and clipping all the reports that I could find, I was convinced that the Cayman S should be my next Porsche. Without seeing or driving it, I'm confident that it will be the best car I've ever owned. From what I've read it seems like they designed the car to be the perfect multi-use car for me. I have never wanted to be the first on the block (or town) to own a new model, and am certainly not looking foward to all the attention the car is sure to get early on. From the photos it also appears that I will still like the cleaner lines of the 987 and 997 better, but maybe that too will pass in time. The timing was just right for me; I should take delivery after this autox/track season ends, and before next season begins.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One argument in favor of buying a Cayman now is that it isnt 100% a "new" car. Its model designation (C7S) is based on the 987, and it shares many components (chassis, M96 powerplant, interior, etc.) with the 987. Some of the usual teething problems will already have been fixed.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:53 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I didn't 'order' my RUF, but I bought that car used site unseen, and no test drive. All the way from Germany.

CP
Old 09-14-2005, 09:32 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you all have valid points. I ordered my Cayman a few weeks ago. Obviously sight unseen. I think that in the case of a new launch that there is enough ferver that if I don't like it for some reason I would have the dealer sell it to someone else. There shouldn't be much heartburn over it because some dealers already are through to their June allocations. In my case I have had a boxster and a GT3. I figure this will be the ultimate Car to drive daily if desired and rip it up at track days. it is an excellent combo of what porsche has been working on in their various models over the last 15 years or so. The Cayman is the closest thing to a clubsport we are likely to see in the sub 70 K range. I also think that we will figure out how to get 320hp out of the engine in short order via exhaust, intake and ecu upgrades. We all asked for it and here it is
Gmund
06 Cayman S Arctic Silver
04 GT3 Actric Silver ( Gone)
01 Boxster Black (gone)
04 Mini S Chili red/ Black. ( Current daily driver)
Old 09-18-2005, 12:57 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer already has orders into its summer '06 allocations which is where mine is slotted. I'll have about 6 months to kick tires, test drive, & decide. Besides, my dealer's orders are subject to buyer approval when the car arrives, unless the car is configured strangely. Is that not typical?
Old 09-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

My dealer said the same thing about buyer approval upon delivery, as long as they can sell it to someone else. Another reason not to order hot pink color to sample. What I didn't know is that dealers already have placed orders into their summer '06 allocations. I didn't even know they had their allocations that far in advance.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:47 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2 things for the record:

1. The M Coupe (by the time I bought one) had already been on the market for a few years, although I had never seen one. The Z3 was positively geriatric too by that time, so there was no question in my mind of teething problems.

2. I ordered the Aston Vantage sight unseen when I saw the unveiling in Detroit in 2003. As soon as I saw it in Geneva, and knowing that Uli "993" Bez was behind it, I had no doubt that I'd made the right decision. However, although I'm one of the first on the list for delivery, I'm planning to put off taking delivery for a few months... with Aston's notorious glitches (the brakes and steering were both overhauled in the DB9 during the first few months of production), I think I'll leave them a little while to sort them out...

Anyway, to all those waiting for their Caymans... can't wait to read the first impressions!
Old 09-18-2005, 06:33 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
I didn't even know they had their allocations that far in advance.
Porsche dealer allocations for cars are a function of several factors so they vary from dealer to dealer. My dealer has been told to expect just 2 Caymans per month starting this Jan. It has about a dozen custom configured orders in hand. However, some of the allocation from PCNA will be factory configured cars which would first be offered to those on the list, but may not be taken. So the math is likely a late summer or fall '06 delivery for a new order built to spec.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

The three dealers I left deposits with all got allocations of two or three for November builds and the same for December builds (I think). I ordered a November build from the dealer I had the #1 slot with, but was also offered a November build at the dealer that I had the #3 slot with (I declined that one). I haven't heard from the dealer that I had the #4 slot with, so maybe that would be a December build. Apparently there are dealers that still have November and December builds that haven't been taken by anyone yet, while other anxious future owners are awaiting summer 2006 Caymans through other dealers.

Quick Reply: ordering a new car?