Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Cayman or '05 997?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Bob Prosser
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to sound really petty -- esp. to you track junkies -- but I like sunroofs in my daily cars, and from what I have seen in all the latest Euro mag tests, this won't be an option. I hope I am wrong.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:03 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
If you don't need the rear seats, get the Cayman. Better handling. Better utility. Full warranty. Better handling. (..yes, I know I said that twice..)
I agree, 2 or 4 seats, that's your decision point
Old 08-07-2005, 12:41 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Prosser
This is going to sound really petty -- esp. to you track junkies -- but I like sunroofs in my daily cars, and from what I have seen in all the latest Euro mag tests, this won't be an option. I hope I am wrong.
Not petty at all.......love the option as well, and while I'm still pretty much leaning towards the Cayman as my next car.......the lack of this option, the pricing, and the additional equipment of the base 911 has me really taking a second look at it. When looking at the prelim order guide for all models (I believe it came from the Finland site) there will not be a sunroof for the Cayman. I know the Cayman will beat a base 911 at the track, but I don't care.....my next car will be on the street 95% of the time......and I will buy accordingly.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Prosser
I read something last night about a glass partition between the cabin and rear luggage compartment. Whatever it is that gets stored back there better be able to take the heat.
FYI I just picked up the Road & Track magazine that has the Cayman S article and it clearly said "a glass partition". You were right...they are wrong.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"A glass screen separates the cockpit from the luggage area when the hatch is closed and also acts as a shield against noise from the midship engine." Aug R&T, p.15. None of the earlier reports mentioned the glass screen, so apparently it was a recent addition following previously reported concerns that engine noise might be a bit too loud with the hatch back. You can still order the louder "sport exhaust" for a couple of grand, however, or just remove the glass screen. No one has mentioned the need for an optional "motor sound package."

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 08-08-2005 at 12:24 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-08-2005, 01:05 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

If indeed there is glass partition I don't think I would like the looks of it too much, sounds dumb IMO.
What happens if you have something stored in the back and with a sudden stop it shoots forward?....flying glass everywhere? Hope it is removable if indeed there is one.

Any pictures yet??
Old 08-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Quite frankly, studying the four magazines I purchased over the weekend, all with rather detailed (and different) interior photos of the car, I can't see how a glass (or plexi) partition could fit in the car. I think it's simply an error in reporting.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:54 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Quite frankly, studying the four magazines I purchased over the weekend, all with rather detailed (and different) interior photos of the car, I can't see how a glass (or plexi) partition could fit in the car. I think it's simply an error in reporting.
I would tend to agree......everything I have seen and heard is contrary, but darn if the phrase....

"A glass screen separates the cockpit from the luggage area when the hatch is closed and also acts as a shield against noise from the midship engine." Aug R&T, p.15.

......doesn't sound convincing.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Why is everyone so quick to knock a rear-engine design? I saw a letter in a car magazine recently (I wish I could remeber which one) from a Corvette guy totally dissing the 911. Basically he said the rear-engine design sucks and the Corvette would totally trounce a 911 if it weren't for the great braking due to the weight being mostly in the rear and the great acceleration grip due to most of the weight being in the rear. So really, if the 911 were a Corvette, the Corvette would trounce the 911. Then he goes on to say, "name one great race car that had a rear-engine design." Um... [sheepishly raises hand]... the 911? Mid-engine design is king, no doubt. But I really don't see that front-engine is any better than rear-engine. Especially considering the great strides that Porsche has made in balancing the handlig of the car yet still maintaining a rear weight bias. Even this past weekend, I was watching the Speed GT race from Portland. It's a blast to see the Porsches out-drag the Corvettes and Vipers down the front stretch from a standing start despite giving up approx. 100 HP. Why? Rear-engined. Also, Porsche pulled ahead in the manufacturers championship. Who are they beating? Cadillac, Chevrolet, and Dodge. All front-engined.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

I think you answered your own question with "Mid-engine design is king, no doubt." We're not really dissing the rear engine; just agreeing with you that a mid-engine configuration is better. I'd be hesitant to attribute the 911's racing successes (or failures) to the fact that it's rear engined.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Someone made the assertion that if one set out to design a sports car today, you would not chose a rear-engine design. Thereby implying the front-engine (and mid-engine) was superior. That is what I was taking issue with, that front-engine design is superior. Mostly, my point is that there are a lot of benefits to having a rear-engine design and it's not the demon that a large contingient of people seem to think it is.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Michael1
Advanced

The only true front engined cars I have ever seen are front wheel drive. Rear drive cars are really front-mid-engine, except for the true mid-engined cars, with the engine behind the driver. There is no doubt that some rear weight bias is helpful for acceleration and braking, so the mid-engined and rear engined cars have the edge in this regard. In terms of handling, a front-mid or rear-mid is the preferred arrangement.

I have a theory, though. You can make any car go fast with enough engineering. I seen plenty of sedans humiliating all out sports cars on the track. BMW certainly has done well with their sedans. What Porsche has done with the 911 and its rear engine design, is nothing short of remarkable, both on and off the track.

Michael
Old 08-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Most front engine cars today are probably "front mid-engine" configurations anyway, as the bulk of the engine weight is behind the front axle line. Hot rodders have moved front engines back toward the firewall for decades. Fifty-fifty weight distribution was achieved in the 944 line by moving the transmission toward the rear. Although I was impressed with that, I think a little weight bias toward the rear in a rear drive car is probably a good thing. The Boxster and the Cayman are about right, I think.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:32 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Porsche should have seperated Carrera from the 911.....they could have had a Cayman called the Carrera and the 911 called the 911.....they already had the idea with Carrera GT...it's unfortunate they named it the Cayman as that will hold it's back. Can you see people 5 years from now say "Wow! You got a Cayman!".......now I know it's about the car not the name but i'm just calling a spade a spade...........I personally will not consider a 60,000 car that's associated with Xayman Xex unless it cooks and cleans too......

Quick Reply: '06 Cayman or '05 997?