Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S = $58k / Cayman = $??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 03:48 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cayman S = $58k / Cayman = $??

We already know that the Cayman S will sell for $58k.

Would anybody car to speculate about the price of the Cayman (base) and when will it be available?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:17 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure it will be priced between the Boxster and Boxster S......probably right around the $48k - $50K range.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

About $10k less for the base model would be consistent with the pricing schemes we have seen from the factory in this pricing segment.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Usually car companies price their soft tops higher than the coupe version. Then again, they usually give them the same name as well.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Then again, most car compaines aren't Porsche. Thank God. Most car companies introduce the coupe models first. Most car companies bring out the base models first or at the same time. Most car companies rush to market to try and beat the competitor with marketing and timing. Porsche is a blessing.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:56 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
Then again, most car compaines aren't Porsche. Thank God. Most car companies introduce the coupe models first. Most car companies bring out the base models first or at the same time. Most car companies rush to market to try and beat the competitor with marketing and timing. Porsche is a blessing.
How is porsche such a blessing when they do exactly what you described above with the 911?

The 911 Coupe came out first
We are waiting on the Cab and the Turbo
And then the new GT-3 will be hitting the showrooms some time further down the production cycle.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

The point was they don't do things like every other car company simply because it is "conventional." Not that convention is necessarily bad. But convention for conventions sake is. They certainly don't rush to market to try to beat competitors with timing.

I get so sick of hearing so many people dump all over Porsche management and then tell us how they SHOULD do it. Whatever. And of course, the reponse will be that I am some Porsche homer who can't see past my loyalty to the company.

How many more times am I going to have to see someone complain about how this is really the Boxster Coupe and they should have called it that... blah, blah, blah. GET OVER IT! First of all, it is quite a bit different from being a Boxster Coupe, and secondly, it's actually not a bad idea to differentiate this car from it's Boxtser brethen.

I could go on, but only to have the critic crowd beat me into the ground.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Then you'd have to drop the Carrera motor in it. That can't be bad.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

More than likely, you would just need to replace the connecting rods and that would increase the stroke enough to give you the extra 200cc. I don't really know for sure.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:20 PM
James-man
Race Car

Will there really be a non - S Cayman?

If so, dont base models usually precede S models rather than follow them?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Yes, there will be a non-S Cayman. Just as with the Cayenne.

There will also probably be a Club Sport model.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will anxiously await future Cayman models. My guess is that a future Cayman will replace my 996 in two or three years.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:52 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$58k!! Thats just £32k. In the UK, base price will be £44k!!! (US$80k)

**** weather and overpriced cars.......
Old 07-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe they will put in a new 3.0L in base Cayman! They should have just put in the 3.6L from carrera in base cayman and 3.8L from carrera S in Cayman S. Market it as different car in same class as 911. They won't lose any 911 sales, any lost sales will go to cayman. The old 928 failed because it was meant as replacing 911. I think Porsche learned that you can't get rid of the 911. I don't understand the need for dumbing down certain models especially non-911's, and the ridiculous number of engine variations made.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:20 PM
BenPatient
Track Day

the problem is, though, that unlike the 928, the cayman has more going for it than the 911 in most "practical" car respects. It lacks (considerable) heritage, but let's not fool ourselves.

The Cayman S costs porsche a LOT less to make than the Boxster S does...yet it holds a 10K premium...This is what companies with a really good product (or a captive market) do to make massive profits. The base Boxster is their least profitable vehicle, from a per-car basis...They don't need another least-profitable vehicle...They need to take advantage of their position and pardon me, abuse their customer base. The relative value of a Cayman S is much higher than the relative cost of a Cayman S, at least in Porsche world.

The only way this thing is bad for Porsche is if they got the market wrong and nobody buys them...because dealers will sell them for something closer to the invoice (which is probabably well under 40K), the resale value will drop to reflect this, and we will all get our 35K slightly-used cayman S monsters.

I hope for Porsche's sake that this doesn't happen, but I hope for my ow sake...sorta...that it does. Because I'm not paying more for something that costs less to make just because someone wants me to and thinks they can get me to do it.

I'd rather have a 911 than a cayman, but i'd rather have a cayman than a boxster. A $38,000 dollar Cayman would become incredibly popular. They'll never do it, but the market might do it for them....

Quick Reply: Cayman S = $58k / Cayman = $??