Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Competitive / Comparable Vehicles to Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Rick Longano
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike N,

Extremely well put ! That last bit of overall quality, performance, and feel that differentiates the Porsche with almost any other car cannot be had for $ 5,000.00 - not even close. If it was that easy, they'd all be doing it.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Some people place value on "feel" and others dont. Feel is what would make me spend rediculous amounts of money on a "lesser" car on paper compared to a "paper-champ." Even if the other car lapped faster on the Ring, or wherever...i most likely won't be replicating that any time soon.

Few cars offer the feel and road communication that Porsche offers. Very few offer it for any price less than that of Porsche. Some people just want performance. Some people just want a smooth ride with some extra horespower. Some people want an experience on wheels. There is a reason there is competition out there. Of course to me i can't understand why anyone would drive anything but a Porsche, but personal taste and value plays a big part for people. I'll stick to feel!
Old 07-20-2005, 06:04 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Only true competitor I can see is (was) the BMW M Coupe... 321-325 bhp... unique looks and great handling... bet BMW will be kicking themselves that they didn't make a successor (mine was the best car I've ever owned - 2000 S50, silver/black... taken away from me by a wall and an over-zealous BMW "engineer")
Old 08-04-2005, 01:20 AM
sklarge
8th Gear

Default bmw m3

How do you guys think the cayman is going to perform versus the bmw e90? that thing is a BEAST and it's in a similar price range...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:40 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,083 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by sklarge
How do you guys think the cayman is going to perform versus the bmw e90? that thing is a BEAST and it's in a similar price range...
Unfortunately, the M3 has grown larger again in its new generation and it's really pretty far from a sports car. It will be a great street car for highway and fast smaller roads, but for track work and mountain passes, its size and weight will not let it compete with the agility of a small mid-engined car like the Cayman (even though it will have over 100hp more with its V8).

Quick Reply: Competitive / Comparable Vehicles to Cayman S