Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Competitive / Comparable Vehicles to Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:20 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Competitive / Comparable Vehicles to Cayman S

What competitive or comparable vehicles exist to the Cayman S? That is, what falls into this price range, with similar performance, handling, size and features? For my usage this would be a street-only vehicle.

If there is no competition, then what vehicles will be defined in the competitive marketing information that PCNA will provide the dealerships, to utilize in the event that a potential customer arrives that is oblivious to that fact?
Old 05-27-2005, 09:55 AM
CdomiG
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Competitive / Comparable Vehicles to Cayman S

Very difficult to answer - not being a part of Porsche marketing, however just opinion from casual observance. The Cayman S coming in at 58K USD is carefully placed at the top of its price competitors and promises to deliver standard total performance better than their configurations and just off, better, or equal to its more expensive up-line competitors. Its natural (price) coupe competitors appear to fall this way: BMW M3, Chevrolet Corvette, and Nissan 350Z.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:19 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Not very many will fall into the Cayman S price catagory as it is pretty pricey, but I think there are plenty of competitors our there for it.......

350Z
G35 coupe
M3 (both E46 and upcoming E90)
Corvette
Audi TT
MB SLK
MB SLK AMG
Crossfire
Audi S4, upcoming RS4
Acura NSX
Honda S2000
Other Porsches, 997, 996, Boxster, etc.
Mitsu Evo
Subi WRX STI

Now, I know not all of the above may be considered a close match to the Cayman......but if you are looking for a "blast to drive" car in a certain range of pricing.......all the above could be considered.
Some will be faster with a little less handling, some will be slower but cost a lot less, and a bunch of other combinations.

I have driven many of the above and all have good and bad qualities......just as the Cayman probably will. The M3 is still a blast to drive (the ZCP competition package is great), the S4 is silky smooth with an excellent V8, etc. The 350Z and G35 coupes are great driving cars for the money, although a bit common. Really depends on what you are looking for.......if all you have on the mind is a mid-engine small coupe with a Porsche badge on it......then you pretty much made up your mind. If you happen to need 4 seats and a little more room......then one of the others may actually be better.

As far as what Porsche will put up against it?......who knows.....they tend not to compare their vehicles with others.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:33 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

I was considering the Cayman S as a replacement for my track car, until I saw the new C6 ZO6 vett. It looks like both will come in about 65K. I know all the arguments about a Vett v. Porsche and quality. I've owned a lot of Porsche's and only one vett, a 63 split window in college. Wish I still had that one. Seems GM will be hiring Jan Magnessen to test the car at the Nurburgring this thurs. If the Vett runs the north loop in under 7:50, Porsche will have a lot of Caymans on thier lots.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

a 63 split window in college
Old 05-30-2005, 09:10 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

mooty

Hind sight is 20/20. And I was 20. Sold it for a 65 Shelby GT 350.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Arkay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJayB
I was considering the Cayman S as a replacement for my track car, until I saw the new C6 ZO6 vett. It looks like both will come in about 65K. I know all the arguments about a Vett v. Porsche and quality. I've owned a lot of Porsche's and only one vett, a 63 split window in college. Wish I still had that one. Seems GM will be hiring Jan Magnessen to test the car at the Nurburgring this thurs. If the Vett runs the north loop in under 7:50, Porsche will have a lot of Caymans on thier lots.
I definitely think Chevrolet has a winner on their hands with the new Z06 C6. For the first time, I find the styling of a Corvette appealing and of course the bang for the buck factor is just unbelievable.

I've mentioned to my wife that I'd consider a Z06 in our garage in the near future and each time, she snickers that I would never buy an American car to replace my teutonic track car. But I don't think she realizes how seriously I'm considering this Z06...wouldn't she just be surprised to find an orange one in our garage one day!

But seriously, this beast cannot be ignored by anyone in the market for a serious sports car, especially one meant to place on tracks, and its pedigree is constantly being enhanced by its success on racing circuits in Europe and the U.S.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

65 Shelby GT 350
Old 05-30-2005, 10:31 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the bottom line is the price to HP ratio. There are a lot of other cars with more HP for less price. Frankly id have preffered a 4cyl turbo. Just becuase a 4cyl car has a less HP with a turbo, that a 6 doesnt mean you can easily tweak it to have more than the 6.
Wonder if they will be discounting them like they did with boxsters a while ago.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:05 PM
johnmhudson111
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One other car you can put into this group of competitors would be the Lotus Exige, at $54k base it is pretty close in price, don't know how it would stack up performance wise.
John Hudson
Old 06-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

I will be in the market to replace my 01 Z06 and will be looking at the Cayman S when it comes out. FWIW, I was trying to buy a Boxster S in 2000/2001, but the Porsche dealers seemed to think they were made of 'unobtainium' and since I was not willing to play that game, I bought the Corvette.

However, I 've always thought the Boxster S would have been a fine car to own and I will be looking at a Cayman - if they would buld a Club Sport version with another 25 or 50 horsepower and less weight I could truly be interested.

Oh yeah, I looked at a Lotus Elise, but it was just too small for me too use as a regular car.

Jim
Old 07-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Re: Vette v. Porsche - I just saw a comparo on TV between the newest Vette and the 911, and in the "handling" department it was unanimous that the 911 was better. Also noted that the brakes on the Vette were not up to repeated stops, where the 911 could go all day. I guess my point is, if you're thinking about a stock Vette v. a stock Porsche, I'd stick to the Porsches. But if your racing allows upgrades/improvements, the Vette will probably work.

The testers eventually did pick the Vette for it's overall "value" in the performance field. They said "..would we pay $5k more for a 911? YOU BET!!! But would be pay $20k more? Nope." So if you factor in the Cayman is going to be $10k cheaper than a 911...I'd bet they'd pick the Cayman.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Zbad1
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Re: Vette v. Porsche - I just saw a comparo on TV between the newest Vette and the 911, and in the "handling" department it was unanimous that the 911 was better. Also noted that the brakes on the Vette were not up to repeated stops, where the 911 could go all day. I guess my point is, if you're thinking about a stock Vette v. a stock Porsche, I'd stick to the Porsches. But if your racing allows upgrades/improvements, the Vette will probably work.

The testers eventually did pick the Vette for it's overall "value" in the performance field. They said "..would we pay $5k more for a 911? YOU BET!!! But would be pay $20k more? Nope." So if you factor in the Cayman is going to be $10k cheaper than a 911...I'd bet they'd pick the Cayman.
That was a good comparo that you're talking about. However, earlier in this thread they're talking about the new C6 Z06, not the base C6. The new Z06 is much, much faster.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:36 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
I'd probably dissagree.......was it a base 911 or 911S in the comparo?

With todays competition just about any time price is factored in the Porsche will lose, and I think the Cayman would be no different. All I need to know is if the Cayman is the better car.....if indeed its all around performance is better. I don't care too much about the price.

What a lot of people don't understand is that the cost to get that last bit of handling finesse and feel, brake stamina, the balance that makes it a whole, the interior and exterior design, costs more money and is not always in proportion with what a 9/10ths car would cost. So you can't just say a Porsche should cost $5k more just on the numbers.......sometimes those numbers take more than $5k to get.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Base 997.

Quick Reply: Competitive / Comparable Vehicles to Cayman S