Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S: World's Best Sports Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 12:16 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Boxster S: World's Best Sports Car

Not sure if anyone here reads Autoblog, but I found this pretty interesting:

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000863033486/
Old 02-27-2005, 01:54 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Fairly subjective piece of writing. I've read better write-ups in this forum.

I suggest everyone thinking of getting a roadster/sportscar read the R&T article on the sports car shoot-out. Don't bother with their final conclusion. C6 won because it was cheap. But, read the numbers of the tes results and compare the cars, then look at what car the writers would buy for themselves. That should convince heretics to get the Boxster S.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:33 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Autoblog commentary is basically a synopsis of the R&T comparo. As far as I'm concerned the fact that 5 out of 9 editors chose the Boxster S as their favorite OUT OF 9 SPORTS CARS INCLUDING THE CARRERA S speaks volumes. Then again, we've been reading great Boxster S reviews for six years.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:07 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Boxster S (bought new) will be 5-years old next week, and I'm still loving it.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, put a fixed roof and remove sound insulation/radio etc. and for good measure up the hp. too...Man, I don't care how silly the name is I can't wait for the cayman club sport
Old 03-20-2005, 10:51 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd rather take a convertible on a nice Colorado mountain drive any day of the week.
For track days I'll stick with our 944 SCCA ITS car.
Now if the Cayman has the 2.7 available, then I think it would make a great Speed World Challenge Touring Car. Might be able to give the Mazdas, BMW's, Acura's, and our SRT-4's a good challenge...although it would easily be the most expensive of the bunch once you made it into a true race car.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean
My Boxster S (bought new) will be 5-years old next week, and I'm still loving it.
that's great, but i hope you realize that they're talking about the new boxster s not your old one
Old 03-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Sean
Drifting

Thanks Ben... I do realize that.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:30 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need to read a magazine article to determine which "sportscar" to buy, you must be a woman (no offense ladies). First off, what makes you think the simpletons who write those articles know what the hell they're doing behind the wheel of a car? For the most part, they don't.

And let's be perfectly honest about what you're actually buying here, too - you're buying a boulevard cruising car, not a sportscar. Sportscars are made for "sport" aka track driving. Boxsters and new Carreras are not made to be used that way, save the GT3. So you're buying a convertible to feel the wind in your hair and be seen on Friday and Saturday nights when the valet brings your car around.

Last month at Moroso my impressions of the "new Porsches" was yet again reinforced, as I saw a 997S start smoking and pull off the track in front of me. That, combined with some first hand disasters with a friend's Boxster S and 996... these are not track cars, guys. They're wet sump for God's sake!
Old 04-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Now that is the most senseless remark on this thread.

Last edited by Palting; 04-03-2005 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:24 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcar964
If you need to read a magazine article to determine which "sportscar" to buy, you must be a woman (no offense ladies). First off, what makes you think the simpletons who write those articles know what the hell they're doing behind the wheel of a car? For the most part, they don't.

And let's be perfectly honest about what you're actually buying here, too - you're buying a boulevard cruising car, not a sportscar. Sportscars are made for "sport" aka track driving. Boxsters and new Carreras are not made to be used that way, save the GT3. So you're buying a convertible to feel the wind in your hair and be seen on Friday and Saturday nights when the valet brings your car around.

Last month at Moroso my impressions of the "new Porsches" was yet again reinforced, as I saw a 997S start smoking and pull off the track in front of me. That, combined with some first hand disasters with a friend's Boxster S and 996... these are not track cars, guys. They're wet sump for God's sake!
so lets see, a 987s and a 997s are not sports cars?..i think your definition of a sports car is way off base...both cars can pull l.0 g on the skid path, very fast, amazing brakes and the new boxster s had the fastest slalom time every recorded by a car tested by road and track, ....faster than the ferrari enzo, which i assume you dont consider a sports car!!!a car that is made for the track is a race car..and why do you use paranthesis around the words "new porsches"..are you debating the fact that they are new...and btw, the editors and writers have been testing and driving cars there whole lives, many of them with very good driving skills...in fact, they use former imsa champ steve millan to drive the cars on the track and give is impressions.....
Old 04-03-2005, 11:31 PM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

Response to "pcar964":
While I can appreciate your viewpoint, I cannot agree with you.

Many of us (ladies and gentlemen alike) try to keep an open mind and appreciate the input of others, including the valuable input from many Rennlist contributors as well as from published sources.

When I look at your narrow definition of a sports car, I wonder: Is the back seat of the 911 (including your beloved 964) necessary for track driving? Does this configuration make it a family car and not a sports car? Are all of the old English convertibles just boulevard cruisers?

There are many folks out there that just love the art (or sport) of driving, whether it be on public streets and/or on the track. The Boxster is a wonderful sports car that is comfortable in both arenas. I am sorry that you don't appreciate the full value of the Boxster.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:36 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

What's with the negativity?? No need for that. The Boxster S is a SPORTS car and a damn good one. Maybe not a RACE car. Another old school j*rk.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:48 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're wet sump for God's sake!
I believe you are mixing sports cars with race cars. Further, per your definition, the car below is not a sports car. It has a wet sump as well. Finally, the sexist comment is really without any merit.

AW
Old 04-04-2005, 11:22 AM
pdutta2000
Instructor

I always love it when someone uses the old "Why are you listening to those guys? They don't know what they're talking about! Listen to me!" arguement. Please list your qualifications so that we know why we should listen to your opinions?

Quick Reply: Boxster S: World's Best Sports Car