Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S: World's Best Sports Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:13 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scycle2020
so lets see, a 987s and a 997s are not sports cars?..i think your definition of a sports car is way off base...both cars can pull l.0 g on the skid path, very fast, amazing brakes and the new boxster s had the fastest slalom time every recorded by a car tested by road and track, ....faster than the ferrari enzo, which i assume you dont consider a sports car!!!a car that is made for the track is a race car..and why do you use paranthesis around the words "new porsches"..are you debating the fact that they are new...and btw, the editors and writers have been testing and driving cars there whole lives, many of them with very good driving skills...in fact, they use former imsa champ steve millan to drive the cars on the track and give is impressions.....
That is a perfect example of what I'm talking about - those magazine tests don't mean a thing, unless you think the slalom means anything, in which case the boxster is more capable than an enzo... give me a break pal, you're living in lala land, and I can make a riding lawnmower pull 1.0G around a corner, which proves nothing. You're one of those numbers guys, looking for 0-60 and quarter mile time to tell you what's a sportscar and what's not. Perhaps the reality of my statements scares you, because it forces you to take a look in the mirror and be honest with yourself.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:21 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by schnell987
Response to "pcar964":
While I can appreciate your viewpoint, I cannot agree with you.

Many of us (ladies and gentlemen alike) try to keep an open mind and appreciate the input of others, including the valuable input from many Rennlist contributors as well as from published sources.

When I look at your narrow definition of a sports car, I wonder: Is the back seat of the 911 (including your beloved 964) necessary for track driving? Does this configuration make it a family car and not a sports car? Are all of the old English convertibles just boulevard cruisers?

There are many folks out there that just love the art (or sport) of driving, whether it be on public streets and/or on the track. The Boxster is a wonderful sports car that is comfortable in both arenas. I am sorry that you don't appreciate the full value of the Boxster.

OK, I can appreciate that you enjoy driving the car - hell, I enjoyed cruising around in the boxster s, it was a fun street car. My disagreement comes with calling a non-track-worthy car a sportscar.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:24 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by autobahnNY
What's with the negativity?? No need for that. The Boxster S is a SPORTS car and a damn good one. Maybe not a RACE car. Another old school j*rk.
Yeah, I'm another old school jerk. You might want to consider the fact that us "old school jerks" are simply enthusiasts who are unhappy with the cappuccino crowd destroying a once-great sportscar company with their preference for cupholders over quality. Profits: up - soul: gone.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Nothing like a troll to liven up a board. I was kinda disappointed to see no new posts day in and day out here in the 987 board. Now, there's some life!!! For that, I thank you, troll pcar964.

I track my 996 fairly frequently since I got it. It had less than 5K miles when it first hit the track in a DE. It's been to several tracks, with cupholders and all, and I drive it from the track with my CD changer blasting some soulfull jazz. I have posted several in-car videos, here's a link to that thread: 996 in-car . My non-trackworthy modern Porsche with cup-holders, CD changer, Bose stereo, leather seats and ergonomic interior has passed 964's, 993's, etc. The 996 C4S has also been passed by them, but at no time was the 996 not at home on the track.

I have also run with Boxsters. Some have been track modified, with roll cages, fire systems, track suspensions. Some are also just bone stock with street tires, just as they came from the factory. I have seen these non-track worthy cars with cup-holders, wet sump (as you claim), pass several 964s in my times at the track. I've been so impressed with them, I'm buying a 987S for mostly track duty. I plan to pass a lot of 964's with them at the track.

That's right. Hold on to your 964, pretend that evolution stopped when they made your car, and be stuck in the stone ages.

I am by no stretch of the imagination an excellent track driver, but I will be more than happy to match up my 987S to your 964 at the track anytime. VIR should be close to the both of us. Let's see who has the more "track-worthy" sports car.

That was actually fun, after no activity on this board!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:54 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Without a doubt....my money's on Palting
Old 04-05-2005, 05:54 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, there are some that drive these car for show (the "cappuccino crowd" as you say), but that isn't me or many other Boxster/S enthusiast on here! I'm tired of idiots like you that come on here and have no respect for other rennlist members. I've been in a few of these spats years ago, and was please to see this type of stuff ease up, guess not. I consider my self old school too. I don't really care for all the posers, but I won't shun a great car because of it. You are more ignorant than anything.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:17 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcar964
That is a perfect example of what I'm talking about - those magazine tests don't mean a thing, unless you think the slalom means anything, in which case the boxster is more capable than an enzo... give me a break pal, you're living in lala land, and I can make a riding lawnmower pull 1.0G around a corner, which proves nothing. You're one of those numbers guys, looking for 0-60 and quarter mile time to tell you what's a sportscar and what's not. Perhaps the reality of my statements scares you, because it forces you to take a look in the mirror and be honest with yourself.
you should try joining the 21 century..the old porsches , while they were great for their time and a lot of fun to drive, are stone age compared to the current cars in everyway...your lack of ability to think logically is what scares me!!!l i hope your a 10 year playing with his daddy computer....
Old 04-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

I have to admit, I can't drive at the track and drink cappucino at the same time. I have to make sure the lid is on tight, otherwise it might spill when the car pulls those 1g turns. The cup holder is perfect, though, to hold that cappuccino cup when I have to get up at the wee hours of the morn to get to the track early. Aaaaah. Porsche. Drinking cappucino, listening to Natalie Cole on the sound system as you drive to the track, then put everything away to go screaming like a bandit down those esses, then put on the formal attire and pick up the wife for a drive to a catered dinner afterwards. Porsche. There really is no substitute.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:39 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Yeah, I'm another old school jerk. You might want to consider the fact that us "old school jerks" are simply enthusiasts who are unhappy with the cappuccino crowd destroying a once-great sportscar company with their preference for cupholders over quality. Profits: up - soul: gone.
Porsche still caters to the track purists. You know what your problem is? You have to pay for it. Work toward a higher-paying job and get yourself a dry-sump GT3 instead expecting something for nothing. And if you are really the sportsman that you think you are, maybe you should take your rants to the 996/997 threads and get a good workout.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

troll...
i had a 964, great car... but a sports car... what is a sports car? 964, 996 996, even the gt3 are too heavy. dry sump wet sump.. there are less than 1% of the driving population who can corner fast enough to cause oil starvation in wet sumped cars... are you one of them? if you are, you wouln't consider 964 a race car or even a sports car for that matter. if you really wnat to track, get a cup car or a radical, SRF, or storh... if you don't like cup holders and want something pure, try a stradale or elise on street.... any of the above will make porsches old or new feel heavy, dead, and boring.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Cloud964
Instructor

so what's your problem pcar964? had a rough day ? If a boxster is not a sport car, well. I don't know what is then. are you confused between sport car and race car?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Palting,

I'm so glad you went with the Boxster S instead of the Elise. I don't think you'd be happy with the Elise, especially in any sort of regular day to day driving I think it would get old pretty quickly. Having to wind a car up to 6 grand or more to produce any power isn't my cup of tea. Do you have your spec list for the 987S you ordered? I'd be curious what options you chose and didn't, etc.

pcar964,

If I had more time I'd come in and slap you around in this message thread something silly, but sadly the phone is ringing and the baby is crying so I gotta go...

Oh, one last thing though, I can drink a Diet Coke and jam to heavy metal all while driving on the track AND watch a 964 try to catch me in my old 2000 Boxster S. The 964 had to give up as he ran out of brakes while the Boxster was still going strong...
Old 04-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Delesh
Instructor

So, there is someone else who bought a 987S instead of an elise. Interesting. I just feel like I got so much more car for the money and its just as much fun to drive. The only advantage I can see in the elise is the novelty factor, which isnt so important to me.

Anyway, about the whole porsche cars not being sportscar thing; who cares what kind of labels you put on a car as long as the driver is having a blast. I would still love "driving" if they called it "passing gas" or "sitting on a tack."
Old 04-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, Ghost. Agonized over it a bit, as I REALY the Elise. Too many things started to pile up in the negative column, even though I was being blatantly biased FOR the Elise. What really killed the Elise for me was the superb performance of the 987S. All of a sudden, here was a car that can best the Elise on the track at close to the Elise price without the plethora of Elise sacrifices.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Not to mention Lotus keeps jacking the price up on the Elise and not adding anything to it. Also have you sat in the Elise seats for any length of time? Most uncomfortable IMHO... I see the folks on Elisetalk are trying to make excuses for why the Boxster bests the Elise, hey they should just be happy with what they bought, at least it gets better gas mileage right?

Quick Reply: Boxster S: World's Best Sports Car