Sponsored by:

Videos of favorite tracks

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Videos of favorite tracks

Snowbound in Ohio for the last hurrah of winter, been fiddling with my new toy, a DVD burner. Got a few home movies done. Also decided to make a few in-car track DVD's. Decided to upload a few snippets, some old, some new. Strictly amateur, restricted to small file sizes for the internet therefore somewhat grainy. Anyway, I thought it would give an idea to those who have never tracked their 996 what it's like. For fellow track rats, it might give you a good laugh at my driving antics. It's uploaded to Rennlist, so right click and save to not burn up too much bandwith

The first two are of my favorite track. Highly technical and demanding, there's a corner so crazy it has earned the nickname "Madness". But the most dangerous one is sneaky turn number 11. Frequently underestimated, the left hand wall that comes alarmingly close has claimed a lot of surprised cars. Here's Mid-Ohio in the Dry , and in the RAIN .

This track is where I did my first DE. A huge favorite in it's heyday, it's more of a bumpy coutry road on this video. It's recently renovated, and I plan to check it out again this year. This is Nelsons Ledges

Next is one of the newer tracks. Multiple turns, short sharp elevation changes, reverse camber turns, generous run-off, all make this a large scale autocross race course. Here's BeaveRun .

Here's a historic favorite. Brief sharp turns, a long uphill straight that's called the Esses (?), great town with lot's of things for tourists. Here's Watkins Glen

One more. A favorite testing ground for US carmakers. It's a long languorous track,with two sequential rhythm section esses, and a long back straight on the full course. It loves HP. Get a good launch off the oak tree turn, and you can redline 5th gear. It's VIR

Hope you all enjoy part of my weekend of fruitless endeavors while snowbound.

Last edited by Palting; 04-04-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:01 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice vids. Did the 930 at WG make it home in one piece? I thought he was cooked in the Esses.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:05 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice Palting. Hope to see you at the Glen this yr, I usually run there with the PDA ( I go with non p friends) as well as PCA. Have you ever tried Lime Rock, I'm going thur will try and post a clip when I get back. BTW did you ever do the ssk?
Chris
Old 04-04-2005, 01:39 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

After watching the Nelson Ledges clip, I was just wondering how much your dental bill was? The bumps were insane. It looks like a cool little track, but holy cow, at what price to you and the car? Anyway, please let us know the quality of the repave if you do go back.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Oh yeah, the 930 went home in one piece. The car was fine, a rocket in a straight line, weak on the turns. My teeth are fine , but I think my kidneys went down to my butt at Nelsons . Not a bad track when you're learning and slow, but it does get jarring once you pick up speed. Haven't been there in two years. Friends say the repave has improved it significantly.

Still thinking about the SSK, Surgeon. I actually like the elbow action of the stock throw, but tempted by the stories you guys tell. Sorta like vanilla vs chocolate ice cream. I like vanilla, but tempted by chocolate, what flavor should I get today?

Quick Reply: Videos of favorite tracks