Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 09:29 AM
nero999
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why bother with a car that the company themselves have placed a "glass" ceiling on. If performance on a model must be artificially limited by the company so as not to affect sales on other models, what does this say about Porsche ? Something is wrong with this type of thinking and marketing. They are telling customers , if you can only afford a $60,000US car, you are not going to get our best effort. If you will spend another $10,000US , you'll get more effort. They've been doing this for decades. Take the 914,944,928 lines for example. They were always the stepchildren. The 911 series always "ceilinged" them. Will the boxster line share the same fate ? Only time will tell, but the history is there to review. It seems that as long as Porsche has the 911 (997) line for sale, they only have one car for sale. While the Cayman looks interesting (and tempting), I've been here before. It certainly does not make me want to get on a waiting list for one. Just my $.02...
Old 03-18-2005, 09:32 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

For me, a 4-wheel drive 997 of some sort with some "bells and whistles" will be right up my alley! Perhaps with Turbo (I hope...) :-)

Need the extra power since I will be living at altitudes over a mile high in a few years...

Now that waste of characters above has been typed, my thoughts on the subject:

I think the Cayman S is a great ideal, especially if they build an RS version of the car. Other cars in Porsches stable in the past have outperformed the 911's, perhaps this will happen again? Porsche knows that the 911 is an important brand for them, but I think they are beginning to realize that evolution needs to occur!

I believe a rear engined 911 will always be available for purchase but as said before, there is only so much one can do to compensate for all that weight in the rear end.

Come on Porsche, keep bringing on those new models but let’s not forget about quality control!!!
Old 03-19-2005, 12:20 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

I've always favored the Carreras but after seeing a few shots of the Cayman (i really hope they rename it) its really starting to grow on me. The rear headlights could be less slanted however, in my opinion.

I really think Porsche needs to refine the definition of a "911". So many people are hung up on the rear engine four seater as the flagship Porsche.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:52 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey call porsche and tell them to change it its not too late, if they think the name will hurt sales they will change it, i mean with the cayenne, who cares, its a stupid truck anyway, the whole idea with the cayenne was to sell a type of car people needed, people dont need a sports car, they have to want it, and if they think less people will want it because of the name, well thats any easy change.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:56 PM
rushSC
Advanced

I have not read through the whole thread, but for those in the focus groups, is it absolutely certain that this will be a "hatchback," and not a coupe with flying buttresses?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rushSC
I have not read through the whole thread, but for those in the focus groups, is it absolutely certain that this will be a "hatchback," and not a coupe with flying buttresses?
It is definitely a hatchback, and it's the nicest hatch I've ever seen.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:22 AM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quick
Isn't this the car that will finally permit Porsche to quit nursing the rear engined car and come out with a mid-engined 911? Porsche has done all they can do with a dynamically-flawed layout--the rear engined chassis--and now they have a state-of-the-art chassis and a body that with a few tweaks could pass for a "new" 911.

What do you think?
What would be the point, then the Cayman and the 911 would be almost the same car. A real 911 has the engine out back... way back. That ancient design has done pretty well over the years.
To me the Cayman looks ugly, I'm sure it'll be better when the car is finally released but the spy shots just don't do it for me. Of course if it performs I'd be willing to overlook the styling.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:45 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ringmeister
To me the Cayman looks ugly, I'm sure it'll be better when the car is finally released but the spy shots just don't do it for me.
I think you'll like it when you see the real thing, however, I don't think that this car's appearance will appeal to everyone.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:40 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

actually I like the bmw M coupe better in the looks dept, it has more attitude. Wonder is the Cayman will have the same fate? Well i always like unique and rarer cars
Old 03-23-2005, 03:51 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M Danger
actually I like the bmw M coupe better in the looks dept, it has more attitude.
If the BMW has more attitude, it's a bad attitude. I think the Cayman looks VERY agressive, whereas BMWs look like family cars to me. Wait 'til you see one up close.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:16 AM
atlas310
AutoX

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
If the BMW has more attitude, it's a bad attitude. I think the Cayman looks VERY agressive, whereas BMWs look like family cars to me. Wait 'til you see one up close.
I know you can't say much due to the non-disclosure agreement, but without getting into specifics, can we expect some nice little goodies to be standard? Thanks.

Last edited by atlas310; 03-23-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:26 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by atlas310
I know you can't say much due to the non-disclosure agreement, but without getting into specifics, can we expect some nice little goodies to be standard? Thanks.
I certainly don't know for sure........but I don't think Porsche is going to offer squat except for the 3.4L engine. From all that I have seen and heard it will carry 18" Boxster S wheels (or something very similar), Boxster S brakes, pretty much standard Boxster S equipment. Maybe they will add PASM, but I don't care for it especially since this was supposed to be a "pure" back to the basics lightweight car to begin with.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:09 PM
atlas310
AutoX

Originally Posted by MikeN
I certainly don't know for sure........but I don't think Porsche is going to offer squat except for the 3.4L engine. From all that I have seen and heard it will carry 18" Boxster S wheels (or something very similar), Boxster S brakes, pretty much standard Boxster S equipment. Maybe they will add PASM, but I don't care for it especially since this was supposed to be a "pure" back to the basics lightweight car to begin with.
Thanks, I was hoping they'd at least throw in some extra goodies to help substantiate the price over the Boxster S other than the engine (PCCB brakes for example, wishful thinking I know).
Old 03-23-2005, 03:27 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Well are pccb brakes and option? I just saw an ad for the boxster S and the brakes looked like the Pccb, they were yellow atleast
Old 03-23-2005, 03:29 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The PCCB's are an option on the Boxster (well at least the S). If anyone is considering them I would suggest venturing into the GT3 forum and doing a search on them. They are not the most loved option and the replacement rotors are incredibly expensive.

Quick Reply: Cayman S