Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

was told that Boxsters = crap

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:34 AM
mach-hog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...Boxsters = crap

Just took delivery of our 987... only one glitch so far:

The passenger window doesn't position fully up after the roof has locked down. It stays in the intemediate position, and the passenger window button won't control it properly, the switch has to be held in the closed position to get the window to go all the way up.

Other than that, no probs. so far. The car is beautifully balanced, and drives better than anything else we've ever owned. (All Bimmers and Mercs...)

Q: What is RMS please? (I'm a new Porsche famly member).

Thank you.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 AM
mach-hog
Intermediate

As to the question of what is RMS?....

Found the answer elsewhere on this site, Thank you Mr. Clauson!
Old 03-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Mark S.
Instructor

I think the reason why Porsche dealer mechanics don't like any of the post 993 cars and the Boxster series is because they are a pain in the *** to work on and have many nit picky little problems. And more to the point, because most are paid by the job and not the hour, they end up losing $$ on these cars because it takes a lot longer than the schedule book says it should to fix them and there are a lot more returns (charge backs) that they have to fix for free. On the 993's and earlier cars they make big bucks because they can fix a car in two hours and get paid for four and the cars aren't returned to fix the same problem a week later.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:49 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting take. It could also be some of that anti-Boxster, anti-air cooled bias that some of the traditional P Mechanics have.

Nice car mach-hog. I agree on the handling of the S. Amazing
Old 03-04-2005, 10:49 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark S.
I think the reason why Porsche dealer mechanics don't like any of the post 993 cars and the Boxster series is because they are a pain in the *** to work on and have many nit picky little problems. And more to the point, because most are paid by the job and not the hour, they end up losing $$ on these cars because it takes a lot longer than the schedule book says it should to fix them and there are a lot more returns (charge backs) that they have to fix for free. On the 993's and earlier cars they make big bucks because they can fix a car in two hours and get paid for four and the cars aren't returned to fix the same problem a week later.
I find the boxster and the 996 far easier to work on the the older cars. The reason why techs arent fond of Cayennes is because the Factory labor times on them are a joke. The reason the guys like the older cars is because they are customer pay and they can charge whatever they want for the repairs.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the boxster is one of the finest automobiles ever made, in S guise, it is a perfect balance of power, chassis control and at that price point, it seems like stealing.

anyone who says the boxster is a bad car is either insecure, or has never driven one, or perhaps both.

of all the cars ive driven and owned, the boxster is always up there in the top5

Old 03-17-2005, 06:24 PM
JLJ

i had a 2000 2.7 boxster...i thought they were silly girly cars before i owned it. the salesman convinced me to go for a ride and i bought it. they are great cars i was surprised how well it handled and how quick it felt.
moogles right.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:26 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Isn't this guy a mechanic. So... he only sees problems right. We only remember the bad stuff that happens. I am sure his mind is clouded with bad experiences and has disregarded that in terms of its relative percentage as compared to common service.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I wonder how many "we need to replace the engine" messages he has given his customers... (for the older Boxster of course... not for the new model).

I think the Boxster was a classic from the first day it was out. Ageless design that somehow they were able to improve
Old 03-23-2005, 05:22 PM
tchandler
Instructor

After reading about the problems with the boxster and 996, seems to come down to the fact that the GT2/3 using the 993/964 case are a much better desing. From my understanding the gt2, gt3 & 911 turbo, use the dry sump instead of the so called "integrated dry sump" which seems to be where all the problems stem from. I love my boxster, but wouldn't want to be the unlucky one who had RMS.

IMHO, if Porshe would focus more on quality these days vs. straight profit, and use the older case for all of the models, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:01 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tchandler
...IMHO, if Porshe would focus more on quality these days vs. straight profit, and use the older case for all of the models, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.
Truer words have not been spoken... All we ask is for all Porsche built today to have the same level of quality as the GT2/GT3/TT cars... no more/no less...

A Boxster with a detuned GT3 engine and the same tranny... a 997 with a detuned GT3 engine and the same GT3 tranny... at the same price points of the current cars... now, is that too f* much to ask???
Old 05-12-2005, 03:38 AM
uppy1
1st Gear

Don't be fooled by the Nirvana that is the TT engine I have a TT which will soon have spent 3 weeks in the garage it's two years old with 25k on the clock but is suffering from oil leaks, to fix them it's an engine out job. So I would swap RMS for that as RMS is a days work and to fix my TT is over 35 hrs labour. Luckily it's covered by warranty the fact it's three weeks is the garage didn't put the engine back right and so there have been some issues.

But I am going to test drive a 987S today as I so like the new Boxster it just looks awesome especially with the 19" Carrera Classic wheels.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:01 PM
RobertG
Racer

MOOGLE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ya gotta do something with your floor..Your babies need a better space than that...I just got an advert where Home Depot will Expoxy Paint your garage floor (2 car garage) for $600!,,,,,,,great deal!
Old 05-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I wonder if memory blurs things? I had a 993 and loved it. It was far from trouble free initially. Porsche screwed up and forgot to lube the shaft to the transmission. Result, new clutch, flywheel and a gear. My back window exploded and the front one needed to be replaced due to cracks where the antenna wire connects. I had an oil leak as delivered - a missing O ring. Then there was the famous wiring harness (God Bless EJ!). Let's not forget the windshield creak which requires a dose of motorcycle chain lube every couple of months. Once fixed the car was flawless and it's new owner still tracks it enthusiastically. My point is that Porsche quality has been spotty for a while. As a limited production car I think we all accept the fact that Porsche doesn't have the resources to test things as well as the big guys.

The early water cooled engines did have a problem - a supplier defect resulted in porus castings. Porsche didn't hesitate they provided new motors..not a bad gesture.

As to the GT3, hey they aren't perfect either. Most come with a botched alignment. There are leaks, and even a couple of RMS issues reported. Mine came with the wrong fuel line assembly in the tank (several others did too) which left me stranded when it collapsed. Racerron's GT3 came with hoses missing causing an endless series of Check engine Lights. Nothing is perfect.

Best,
Old 05-12-2005, 06:04 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

I have a 993 and am trying to talk the wife into getting the Boxster as a third car.

We drove a new S and while I loved it unconditionally (well I'm not too happy about the price- esp. the options- many of which should be standard in my view) I am recently aware of two newer local cars (a 2001 with 45K miles) and a newer (2002 I think but maybe 2003) with major problems. One is a slipped cylinder liner and the other is a RMS. I think that Porsche is picking up the majority of the costs of repair (but not all on the 2001) and I'm trying to find out more.

At any rate hearing about this is giving me second thoughts. While my 993 has been trouble free and a former 944S2 was relatively trouble free (for ten years plus) the referenced problems do not seem to be confined to the earlier cars. An extended warranty may be in order....which means an even even higher initial cost.

Haven't told the wife about this yet....she wants a Z4 and doesn't need any encouragement....

Quick Reply: was told that Boxsters = crap