Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I fix this power steering leak? 987.2 base

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 05:42 PM
nicetheory
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How do I fix this power steering leak? 987.2 base

How do I fix this leak?

This picture was taken behind the driver's side front wheel of my base model 2009 Porsche Cayman 987.2 with manual transmission.

And, this YouTube video provides some additional perspective:

The vehicle's power steering remains functional and it's easy to turn the wheel but there is some groaning when turning at low speeds. The power steering reservoir was bone dry not so long ago and I've recently filled it up. Didn't really seem to help the groaning, but I can confirm there aren't any leaks around the power steering pump itself.

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-22-2024, 07:27 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 538 Posts

To fix the groaning in the short term, make sure that you turn the wheels lock to lock a few times after you've filled the reservoir. That will help to get fluid circulated throughout the system and eliminate the air, which is what causes the groaning.

As for the leak, it really depends on where it's coming from. It doesn't look like it's coming from the crimped end of the hose, where the soft line meets the hard line. Rather, it looks quite a bit like it's coming from the junction of the hardline to the pump. I don't know that connection style very well, but my guess is that there is an o ring that needs replacing on the end of that hardline.

ETA: PET for your year indicates this part number - 997 347 945 00, comprising a spring and an o ring, for the end of that link (I think, based on your picture).

Cheers

Last edited by Zirconocene; 07-22-2024 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2024, 08:22 PM
nicetheory
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
To fix the groaning in the short term, make sure that you turn the wheels lock to lock a few times after you've filled the reservoir. That will help to get fluid circulated throughout the system and eliminate the air, which is what causes the groaning.

As for the leak, it really depends on where it's coming from. It doesn't look like it's coming from the crimped end of the hose, where the soft line meets the hard line. Rather, it looks quite a bit like it's coming from the junction of the hardline to the pump. I don't know that connection style very well, but my guess is that there is an o ring that needs replacing on the end of that hardline.

ETA: PET for your year indicates this part number - 997 347 945 00, comprising a spring and an o ring, for the end of that link (I think, based on your picture).

Cheers
I will do the lock-to-lock turns a few times and report back if it resolved the groaning. I did not do this when I refilled my reservoir, so I'm hoping that fixes it.

Fixing this leak for that $50-or-so part you found would be fantastic. Like you said, it's difficult to say what's leaking. I think I'll wash the area with some engine cleaner and water then go for a drive to see where it leaks.
The following users liked this post:
Zirconocene (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 08:58 PM
nicetheory
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zirconocene

Cheers
Not to be dense, but how did you find/validate this part number? When I google it, I find that 9P1-698-009 supersedes it and that it won't fit my 2009 Cayman, just the manual 911s from 2010-2013. Example: 2010-2013 Porsche 911 Repair Kit 9P1-698-009 | OEM Parts Online
Old 07-22-2024, 10:00 PM
nicetheory
Instructor

Reporting in that I performed the wheel lock-to-lock about 40 times with the power steering cap off and engine running. Backed the car onto some cardboard so the tires had less friction to turn. Still need to take a drive to see if groaning is gone, but I’ll say I didn’t hear any groaning with it stationary while turning on cardboard.

Unfortunately all this pressure from turning the wheel made it leak more. I suppose that is what leaks do. I took this picture on an incline with the front end higher than the rear. Some power steering fluid dripped onto the cement, and I was able to get this picture.

Old 07-22-2024, 10:04 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Good question; you're right to be paranoid.

I use the PET document that I downloaded some time ago from here: https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...artscatalogue/

There's a dropdown menu down the page a little bit that will help you choose your model and model year, then let you download a pdf with all the different systems and parts associated with that system. My downloaded document may be out of date.

The other place that I go to make sure that I get the right part number is here: https://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-...yman_parts.php

They're basically using the PET diagrams that you downloaded, but there's a dealer version of PET that is updated much more often and will have supercessions kept much more up to date.

Failing all that I find that Rose Passion is also a good source for information, as they tend to have actual pictures of the parts on their website (you'll see that as you hover over the diagram, it's pretty slick). As a plus, even with being in Europe, their prices and shipping times tend to be quite good: https://www.rosepassion.com/en/diagr...ing-lines-5144

Cheers
Old 07-22-2024, 10:56 PM
nicetheory
Instructor

You sir are fantastic! I found my car and that part number right where you said they'd be. And it's also available for purchase at the link you identified P136239 - 9P1698009 - Repair kit (99734794500) for Porsche Cayman / 987C2 / 2009 / Cayman 2.9 / Manual gearbox, 6 speed (rosepassion.com)

BUT - Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the part we're discussing is the actual part that is leaking. See my prior post with an image. I'm leaning towards the coupling at the blue arrow or yellow arrow in the markup below being the car part that's leaking but I could be very wrong. In looking at the diagram, I don't see the repair kit at #10 applying to where I think the leak is. But what do I know? I can't say with confidence which line in my picture matches the lines in the diagram.

Old 07-23-2024, 12:22 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

I think you're right, after seeing your updated picture.

It looks like that part is available from Porsche, but you may also be able to find a local hydraulic hose shop that can rebuild that for you. There's nothing particularly special about the hose and crimp, and the hard lines can be reused.

Cheers
Old 07-23-2024, 03:16 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I'd suggest you clean the area thoroughly, remove the wheel and then watch when a volunteer turns the wheel. My money is on the #10 item (red arrow). My rationale:

1. The lines look dirty all the way up to the pump. liquids can go uphill through surface tension, but not generally that far uphill.
2. Both lines are dirty/leaking. They share a joint at the pump. Unlikely for both to go bad.
3. Porsche is offering a "repair kit" for that junction. There's a reason...
Old 07-23-2024, 10:49 PM
t_white
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those crimp style fittings are apparently a common failure point for these lines on the 987s. I just recently had to replace the return line due to a leak at the same crimp fitting. Took a bit to track it down.

What a mess, and a serious pain in the butt to do. You need to have a special tool to separate the line from the connector under the drivers seat area. I made a tool myself and it took most of a day to replace this on my own from start to finish. I paid around $351USD shipped for the p/s like from a Porsche parts dealership on the west coast. Saw they can run up to $6-800 with shipping from some dealers. I can dig up where I bought my p/s line from if you need. I know they had both lines in stock a few months back when I replaced my leaking line.

​​​​​​

Last edited by t_white; 07-23-2024 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2024, 11:58 PM
nicetheory
Instructor

Do you have a 987.1 or 987.2? Are they the same lines? Wondering if I’d need a unique tool to do the work.

I’ve still not cleaned off the lines but I did want to update everyone on my results from trying to clear any air from the system. I drove the car today and the power steering groaning is noticeably improved at low single mph speeds but not totally gone. At a stop, it still makes sound when turning the wheel but more of a binding noise than a groan. The overall wheel also feels a little lighter and smoother to turn at all speeds, which I was not expecting. All in all a very good result but not a total cure for the power steering noise.
Old 07-24-2024, 06:31 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I'd suggest you clean the area thoroughly, remove the wheel and then watch when a volunteer turns the wheel. My money is on the #10 item (red arrow). My rationale:

1. The lines look dirty all the way up to the pump. liquids can go uphill through surface tension, but not generally that far uphill.
2. Both lines are dirty/leaking. They share a joint at the pump. Unlikely for both to go bad.
3. Porsche is offering a "repair kit" for that junction. There's a reason...
I was going to suggest the exact same thing. Clean it up, dry it with brake cleaner or IPA, and watch where fluid is coming from. However, my money is on the red arrow part. My rationale:
  1. It's a Porsche, it's always the most expensive part.....

Originally Posted by Nice Theory
Wondering if I’d need a unique tool to do the work.

Yes, to disconnect the line at the other end you need a special tool. Either order it from Porsche or build your own. There might be generic ones out there to purchase as well but I am not sure on the correct size to get. The Porsche tool is 00072197800 and, as expected, is ridiculously over priced for what it is. I think there is a thread on how to make your own somewhere. Last note, don't disconnect the AC line beside it by accident.
The following users liked this post:
nicetheory (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 11:35 PM
nicetheory
Instructor

Got the area cleaned and had my wife turn the wheel while I recorded this video of the leak.

Probably need to do this again with the wheel off to get a better view and proper orientation, but it looks like the leak is coming from the top crimp when the wheel hits lock.

Based on this I’m thinking it’s the blue arrow at the moment, not the red arrow.

Last edited by nicetheory; 07-24-2024 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:41 PM
nicetheory
Instructor

Here’s a slow-motion GIF of the leak made from the video in my last post. Is it coming from the crimp or higher up? What would be higher up?

Again, pardon the viewing orientation.. I promise gravity isn’t sideways in my part of the world.

Last edited by nicetheory; 07-24-2024 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2024, 07:06 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

From here it looks like the red arrow part. A hydraulic shop might be able to recrimp that hose for you or just buy a new one. New part is $300USD?

Quick Reply: How do I fix this power steering leak? 987.2 base