Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating change of oil type

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 11:34 PM
Joe Hine
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating change of oil type

Hello everyone
I have an 06 Cayman S. Love the car and it is currently working fine. 65k miles. I am contemplating changing the type of oil I use on the next change. I currently use the 5W40 Mobil 1 recommended in the owners manual. Like a lot of owners I worry about bore scoring and want to do everything I can to prevent and minimize the problem. I am thinking about changing to Liquid Moli, but there is a large number of choices of different types of Liquid Moli on amazon. Could I have some feedback on this change if anyone else has done it. Is the oil really that much better, or is it good advertising. If you have changed or think the oil is a better choice, which of the different types would you use. Cheers everyone, thanks in advance.

Joe
Old 07-02-2024, 11:43 PM
sundered
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Mobil 1 for years without issues. Stick with what works, maybe?
Old 07-03-2024, 03:59 AM
Cemlo
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

In your shoes I'd stick with what you are using and maybe invest in an oil anylasis report, it will tell you a lot about any engine wear etc. An interesting read "While mixing lubricants won’t harm the engine, this report shows how it disrupts the oil’s chemistry, which can shorten its service life and reduce performance." - https://blog.amsoil.com/how-to-perform-oil-analysis/

I just bought Mobil 1 0w40 rather 5w40 by mistake, I read that it's much the same and shouldn't be an issue. I also concidered a flush with a cheaper oil at a fraction of the Mobil cost but reading the above put me off, I think sticking to the same brand/spec is the important part.
Old 07-03-2024, 06:52 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemlo
I maybe invest in an oil anylasis report, it will tell you a lot about any engine wear etc.
+1

Best way to tell ongoing engine health and trends. I use https://www.speediagnostix.com. We’ve been analyzing now for over 100k miles and many oil changes.
Old 07-03-2024, 09:24 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 320 Posts

Hi Joe, I have to agree with the above sentiments. I would add that if there was an oil that definatively halted bore scoring, that news would be all over the forums. What you get instead is subjective and annecdotal stories.
No one definatively knows what causes bore scoring. For a pretty good synopsis of the issue, you might look at the PCA Tech Tactics series, in particular this one:
https://www.pca.org/news/tech-tactic...inder-coatings
Yes, they do talk about changing oils but that is just part of several things that are discussed as potential causes and solutions. Something may pop out at you based on their discussion that applies to your situation.
Personally (and here we go with the opinions) I think the "boutique oils" such as the Driven products are more important if you get the oil overly hot, such as at summer track events. The technical discussions revolve around the fact that certain oils maintain their viscosity to a higher temperature than others. But for normal driving, you probably aren't going to be getting to those higher temps, as the Cayman's cooling system is designed to keep oil temps under control. Again, track event or a heat dome day might be the exception.
Old 07-03-2024, 10:30 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 413 Posts

No subjective or anecdotal story here...

Jake Raby from Flat Six Innovations says to use Driven DT-40 with a 4K or 1yr OCI (oil change interval). DT-40 was specially formulated by Mr. Raby with Joe Gibbs Racing Oil company. DT-40 has all the right ingredients that our engines need to live as long a life as possible.

Plus if you use DT-40, you have the ability to change to the racing version of that oil, DT-6. They have the same base ingredients, so you're not wiping out all the benefits by using a oil with a different base.

Over on the 996 forum, you'll find countless threads talking about DT-40 vs. Mobil 1.

Bottom line, use DT-40, it's better for our engines.
The following 2 users liked this post by sasilverbullet:
cavediver32043 (07-05-2024), Flyrod (07-14-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 10:29 PM
Joe Hine
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone, some reading to do. I don't track the car ( I wish I could, live too far away from a track) and change the oil generally once a year before winter gets here. I'm going to read the links and think a bit more on this.

Joe
Old 07-07-2024, 08:45 AM
Aussie skypig
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

I wish DT-40 was available in Australia at a sane cost.
I currently use a high quality synthetic A-40 approved oil that costs me as little as A$9.30/litre.

DT-40 costs A$28/L

On one hand, I can change the oil 3 times as often for the same price.

On the other, if wear or damage was avoided by using DT-40, it’s worth almost any cost.
Old 07-07-2024, 03:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie skypig
I wish DT-40 was available in Australia at a sane cost.
I currently use a high quality synthetic A-40 approved oil that costs me as little as A$9.30/litre.

DT-40 costs A$28/L

On one hand, I can change the oil 3 times as often for the same price.

On the other, if wear or damage was avoided by using DT-40, it’s worth almost any cost.
Castrol Edge 5w 40? If so I use that in my 987.2 Spyder and 955 Cayenne. Given we get maybe one frost per year here, I’m not as concerned as I would be in a cold climate.
Old 07-08-2024, 12:59 AM
Aussie skypig
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Castrol Edge 5w 40? If so I use that in my 987.2 Spyder and 955 Cayenne. Given we get maybe one frost per year here, I’m not as concerned as I would be in a cold climate.

I live in QLD. Car rarely sees any temps below 20 degrees C (68F)

And I have Nickasil bores, so “scoring” should be less likely.

Last edited by Aussie skypig; 07-08-2024 at 01:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
John McM (07-08-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 01:24 AM
Flyrod
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I second the DT-40.

Watched the great PCA videos, will be using this one from here in.

You can order direct, and it is the best price I have seen on it. Driven DT40 5W-40 Synthetic Street Performance Oil (drivenracingoil.com)

Quick Reply: Contemplating change of oil type