Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1S Ticking; Bore Scoring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 10:36 PM
Krobbby
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 987.1S Ticking; Bore Scoring?

Hello, I am close to purchasing a 2006 Cayman S and have done lots of research about the IMS, bore scoring, and lifter ticks. I am so excited about the possibility of owning one, but this one -with 106k miles, but in fantastic condition- has one very worrying problem. It ticks, and from videos I've heard and posts I've read, it seems like it's likely bore scoring. The seller states it does not go away until high RPMs when they can't hear it, please help me figure this out. Thanks! (Linked below is the video)

Old 03-19-2024, 08:26 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Bite the bullet and get a good inspection, including a scope. Otherwise, you’ll worry about it after the purchase and it’ll hurt your enjoyment of the car.
The following users liked this post:
Mansu944 (03-20-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 10:24 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 322 Posts

I agree with @Glue Guy
With that level of ticking, I would say there are more $$$ causes than there are nothing burger causes. Even if it is not bore scoring, there is something bad going on.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:28 AM
Ric In RVA
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Pull the top cover. Only takes 2 minutes.

Inspect all the vacuum lines and AOS seperator lines.

Mine made a similar noise and that noise went away when I replaced the cracked hose leading to the intake from the AOS.

Different year and engine. But the noise was a defined tick.

I did not think to do a before and after video since I did not associate the cracked line with the noise. Just found oil seepage in the middle of the line, inspected and discovered it cracked and then replaced it. And the sound went away!

Old 03-20-2024, 08:44 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Krobbby
Hello, I am close to purchasing a 2006 Cayman S and have done lots of research about the IMS, bore scoring, and lifter ticks. I am so excited about the possibility of owning one, but this one -with 106k miles, but in fantastic condition- has one very worrying problem. It ticks, and from videos I've heard and posts I've read, it seems like it's likely bore scoring. The seller states it does not go away until high RPMs when they can't hear it, please help me figure this out. Thanks! (Linked below is the video)

https://youtube.com/shorts/iTf9_hAYGEE?feature=share
Walk away, fine one that does not tick

Quick Reply: 987.1S Ticking; Bore Scoring?