Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 03:23 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I just ordered a set of General AS-05 for my 2.9: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/general-g-max-as-05 They are ultra-high performance all-season tires.

They were highly rated by Tire Rack a year or two ago, said to be fairly quiet, comfortable and great in wet conditions. The only demerit was slightly less dry grip than competitors. With closeout discounts, they cost under $450 for the set including tax and free shipping. They've been superseded by the AS-07, apparently. General is owned by Continental, and these tires are said to be made in the same factory as other Conti offerings. They have a 4.8 out of 5-stars rating from customers.

My car was optioned with 18-inch Cayman S wheels which wear Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 235/40/18 and 265/40/18 sizes. I'm going to run these Generals in 225/50/17 front, 235/50/17 rear on a set of OEM 987.2 17-inch wheels I have incoming. My hope is that I'll have a street tire that's better suited to cold/wet conditions, as well as being more compliant and quiet for weekend road trips. I'm also hoping the somewhat lower dry grip and narrower widths will give me more dynamic, playful characteristics on backroads in the summer. I'll save the 18s for autocrosses and other HPDE activities.

If I don't get along with the Generals, they have a 45-day exchange period. I'll try to follow up here with feedback after I get some miles on them.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:27 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

I've had the PS4S on my car for 3 years. Unheated garage. I still drive it in the winter when temps are over 50 degrees. The tires are fine. Don't drive on them in cold temps, sure, but I've never heard of this advice that they should never experience cold temperatures just sitting there. You really think all the people who have the PS4S on their cars have heated garages or bring the tires inside for the winter? I don't think so.

If you want to drive the car a lot in cold temps, then yeah look into the all seasons. I have the AS3 on my daily driver GTI and they're great.

Quick Reply: Anyone use the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4?