Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator part check

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 09:01 PM
hion
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alternator part check

This alternator is mirrored to my removed one. B1+ and B2+ terminals are reversed. Is this the wrong part? Supposedly there are different alternators for auto and manual transmission.
I’m going to visit my parts guy to see if it is the right part, but I am thinking they won’t know.
Does anybody know ?
Thanks all. See pic.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:29 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 780 Likes on 551 Posts

Sorry in advance, it's the end of the day for me and I'm feeling particularly dense about the question.

In your pictures, with the ears of the alternator lined up in the same orientation, I'm seeing that both have the B1+ on the north, and the B2+ on the south. What am I misunderstanding?

Cheers
Old 10-09-2023, 09:41 PM
hion
Cruisin'

It is a bit hard to see but the long stud where the electrical terminal is bolted is reversed.
New- long stud on B1.
Old- long stud on B2.
Other info 2008 boxster base manual.
See original instal wire connections. Note I already removed the small plug in connector.

Last edited by hion; 10-09-2023 at 10:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zirconocene (10-10-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 03:43 PM
Cemlo
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I understand what you mean, the long post on the new alternator is on the opposite terminal, if you can make the connection work I wouldn't be too bothered about that bit. I would be more bothered about replacing a quality Bosch part with one with no identifiying markings/rating info?
hion (10-16-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 08:25 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 780 Likes on 551 Posts

I didn't get quite that deep into the alternator on some recent work I did on my car, but I think that there's at least half a chance of switching those bolts out, if you remove the part that they're seated in (the rectifier?). From memory, they wobble around a little bit when nothing is connected to them, so they should be able to be swapped, but it will require a bit of disassembly on the new alternator.

Cheers
hion (10-16-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 01:33 AM
hion
Cruisin'

Update: I ordered another alternator from a different company. Good news was that the plastic part on the back of the alternator had the proper spacing for the two wires (which attach to the bolt), however, the long bolt was in the location of the short bolt, and the reverse. Same as new part #1. Ugh. I will call back company 2 to see what is going on. I might end up trying to disassemble the plastic part and reverse the bolts. It looks like i might be able to install the alternator into the engine, but the electrical terminal kind of looks like it will be short, unless i do the bolt swap.

Quick Reply: Alternator part check