Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning Battery / Generator Message...Belt Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 10:30 PM
pbwillz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warning Battery / Generator Message...Belt Issue?

Can't seem to catch a break with the 987 lately.

I took the car out for some errands and after getting back in and starting it, I heard a popping noise coming from the engine. The 'warning battery / generator' message shows up on the dash.

Power steering was lost and the car temp was overheating so I had to pull over to turn it off and let it cool off before turning it back on. I had to do this several times but luckily was close to home when this happened.

I did not get a chance to measure the battery voltage but sounds like a belt / tension bolt issue? I will access the cover behind the seats to see what's going on.

Any idea what else it could be?

TIA

Last edited by pbwillz; 10-01-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:41 AM
ClemCLone
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 81 Posts

With the battery warning, power steering loss, temp rise, it sure sounds like the serpentine belt snapped.
You'll see it right away wit the front engine cover off.
You'll need a 24mm wrench to move the belt tensioner. A socket won't fit.

Last edited by ClemCLone; 10-02-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:19 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 321 Posts

Almost certainly the serpentine belt has jumped off or snapped. Looking ahead, find and watch a youtube video about replacing the belt. It is a pretty simple DYI job but the video will explain some things. 24 mm. Clem is referring to a particular sprocket that you rotate its 24 mm securing nut clock wise. This doesn't tighten the nut, rather it rotates the sprocket to provide a little bit of slack to get the belt on and off. Get a genuine Porsche belt. Anecdotal reports are that some aftermarket belts generate vibrations that put the car into limp home mode.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:55 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Yep, had this happen too and why it's wise to replace these proactively. It was the belt. It snapped and tangled itself around the pulley. Thankfully, I was smart enough not to run the engine without the belt. Ended up replacing it in parking lot of Dollar General. I kidd you not.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:08 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm impressed that Dollar General carries belts for a Cayman
The following users liked this post:
ClemCLone (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 09:05 PM
pbwillz
Track Day

I found the issue. The bolt holding the lower left pulley wheel sheared off (condition of belt looked fine otherwise).

Any idea which pulley wheel this is? Water pump? Is it difficult to DIY repair? Do I need to replace the whole block that sits behind the pulley wheel?

Last edited by pbwillz; 10-02-2023 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:12 PM
ClemCLone
Racer

Originally Posted by pbwillz

Any idea which pulley wheel this is? Water pump? Is it difficult to DIY repair? Do I need to replace the whole block that sits behind the pulley wheel?
That is the water pump yes. you'll need to replace the whole unit yes. Do the thermostat at the same time it is right next to the pump. You may want to look into the colder thermostat.
It's not terrible to do this yourself. You'll need to get at it from below and through the area you have open. You can get a set of coolant hose clamps at Harbor Fright to clamp off the 2 water lines. One is smaller as seen in the pic, the other is about 2" going into the thermostat. The clamps will save you a lot of hassle by keeping the coolant in, instead of drawing it all. You'll still need about 5 gallons to refill this.
I did this last summer and it took about 3 hours, start to finish and getting all the coolant in. There are some vids on this of course, also to release the coolant pressure valve between the coolant and oil fill tubes.

Last edited by ClemCLone; 10-02-2023 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:15 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I found the issue. The bolt holding the lower left pulley wheel sheared off (condition of belt looked fine otherwise).

water pump… replace and airlift the drained coolant. Let’s hope the impellers didn’t break off inside the engine!
Old 10-02-2023, 09:46 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

The pump seized internally and belt sheared off the bolt. As already mentioned hopefully no impeller pieces floating around. Check the tensioner pulley and idle pulley by hand. Might consider a preemptive replacement. Second clamping the two hoses otherwise consider a vacuum filler.
The following users liked this post:
ClemCLone (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 09:54 PM
ClemCLone
Racer

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
The pump seized internally and belt sheared off the bolt. As already mentioned hopefully no impeller pieces floating around. Check the tensioner pulley and idle pulley by hand. Might consider a preemptive replacement. Second clamping the two hoses otherwise consider a vacuum filler.
I'd check all pulleys also.
I've never seen the pump seize and shear the bolt like that. Crazy torque here. Hope there is no other damage.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:21 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Originally Posted by ClemCLone
I'd check all pulleys also.
I've never seen the pump seize and shear the bolt like that. Crazy torque here. Hope there is no other damage.
Me too. Over all the years, I've never seen a water pump with plastic impellers seize up to the point of snapping off the pulley like that. Makes me wonder if one of the previous owners installed a pump with metal impellers. Let's hope not.

What we do know is how these pumps fail. That is, the shaft move inward causing the impellers to contact the crankcase which in turn causes the blades to break off and get stuck inside the engine. The metal impeller pumps are notorious for grinding into the case which could mean that it is a metal impeller type pump and basically grinding into the case to the point of locking up and causing the shaft to snap.

We'll see once he gets it removed from the engine.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:25 PM
ClemCLone
Racer

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
We'll see once he gets it removed from the engine.
Should be interesting.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:07 AM
pbwillz
Track Day

Thanks all for the responses. If I am following, it is one assembly unit consisting of the water pump and pulley which will need to be replaced.

If time wasn't an issue I would tackle this myself, but will leave it up to my Indy.
Old 10-03-2023, 10:15 AM
ClemCLone
Racer

Thanks all for the responses. If I am following, it is one assembly unit consisting of the water pump and pulley which will need to be replaced.

If time wasn't an issue I would tackle this myself, but will leave it up to my Indy.
Yes, as I stated.
Replace the thermostat also.
Please post some pics of the removed water pump.
We'd like to see the internals after this somewhat odd failure.

Last edited by ClemCLone; 10-03-2023 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2023, 12:11 AM
pbwillz
Track Day

Update: I saw the removed water pump and impellers were still in tact. It was not metal.

Quick Reply: Warning Battery / Generator Message...Belt Issue?