Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling my hair out trying to time this engine.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 08:36 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Pulling my hair out trying to time this engine.

Any advice? I am all freaking ears.
engine was bore scored.
fixed engine put engine back together.
6 times now pulling engine out of the car.

Here is how I'm doing it. By the Porsche factory manual. This is a 2006 S.

4-6
install cams as said in manual
pin engine to U6 6° before TDC
put in cam lock tool
put in tensioner
rotate engine to TDC
tighten everything up

spin crank 360°
repeat everything as done for 4-6

This is what I also noticed.
on bank 4-6, shut he engine off pull cam caps, rotate to TDC and my intake cam is off time. Is this accurate and due to the vario cam?

While I was at it, I did a new clutch and flywheel. New coil packs, new pistons and rods. Sleeved cylinders

Last edited by Shark Attack; 10-01-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:15 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Just spoke to a guy that does it for a living. We came up with nothing. He answered all my questions. It doesn't appear that I'm
doing anything wrong. Something else is wrong. Something with the vario cam timing
Old 10-02-2023, 01:46 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,016 Posts

You need this...
Several stages dedicated exclusively to timing the M9X 3-chain engine.
https://theknowledgegruppe.com/produ...ideos-bundles/
Old 10-02-2023, 01:49 PM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Just spoke to a guy that does it for a living. We came up with nothing. He answered all my questions. It doesn't appear that I'm
doing anything wrong. Something else is wrong. Something with the vario cam timing
The manual leaves out critical steps. In most cases it is simply wrong.
This is why Jake Raby took the time to create a 20 step, 15 hour video that explains every portion of assembly of these engines. There's extensive, step by step footage of the cam timing process, and this was an area that he spent exceptional amounts of time covering.
I come from Asian engines, but using his video I was able to assemble an M97 engine correctly on the first try. Without the video and his "silver bullets" I would have certainly botched the cam timing, since the most critical step in the whole process was left out of the manual completely.
Explain what you did to time the engine, and I'll help- BUT you need this video.
What are your issues? What codes do you have? What behavior do you experience? I'd imagine that all of bank 2 is just simply dead, misfiring or??
Old 10-02-2023, 02:31 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BRS-LN
The manual leaves out critical steps. In most cases it is simply wrong.
This is why Jake Raby took the time to create a 20 step, 15 hour video that explains every portion of assembly of these engines. There's extensive, step by step footage of the cam timing process, and this was an area that he spent exceptional amounts of time covering.
I come from Asian engines, but using his video I was able to assemble an M97 engine correctly on the first try. Without the video and his "silver bullets" I would have certainly botched the cam timing, since the most critical step in the whole process was left out of the manual completely.
Explain what you did to time the engine, and I'll help- BUT you need this video.
What are your issues? What codes do you have? What behavior do you experience? I'd imagine that all of bank 2 is just simply dead, misfiring or??
the engine was torn down to the case, case sent to a guy in CA who did the case work.

My codes are 18 all the time.
sometimes 16, 300,304,305,306
I know what all the codes mean.

here is where I think it's going wrong and I don't know how to fix it. Because I don't know the proper initial setting of the variator. I feel I don't have the variator on the end in the intake cams in the correct position when I time the cams. This when the variator fills with oil, it's pushing my cams out of time.

As it sits right now, engine in the car not running, I pull the cam caps off and look at my cams, my exhaust cam is still spot on 12:00, my intake cam is sitting a 11:30

Old 10-02-2023, 02:38 PM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mr. Raby asks if you had the history of the vane cell adjuster unit, or if it was pulled apart for some reason. How did you clean it.
Also, did you make sure the B1 and B2 units were not swapped per bank? They are marked on the face for each respective bank.
He said "sounds like the vane cell adjuster parking pin isn't engaged."
Old 10-02-2023, 03:30 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Mr. Raby asks if you had the history of the vane cell adjuster unit, or if it was pulled apart for some reason. How did you clean it.
Also, did you make sure the B1 and B2 units were not swapped per bank? They are marked on the face for each respective bank.
ok, I don't know what the vane cell unit it, I'm thinking the cog on the end of the intake cam?

They were not cleaned. They were removed And sat on the bench and covered

there is no really way they could have been swapped. They were never removed from the cams. And yes, the cams are in the correct side and times 180° out of phase. What is this locking pin you speak of?
Old 10-02-2023, 03:39 PM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

ok, I don't know what the vane cell unit it, I'm thinking the cog on the end of the intake cam?

They were not cleaned. They were removed And sat on the bench and covered

there is no really way they could have been swapped. They were never removed from the cams. And yes, the cams are in the correct side and times 180° out of phase. What is this locking pin you speak of?
The parking pin is a component within the vane cell adjuster. It is there to lock the adjuster at a specified position on start up, prior to hydraulic pressure being achieved.
Rule #1 in engine building is to assume nothing and quantify everything, so that means you have to look at, and correctly position every piece within the engine during assembly. If you buy the video you'll see that these things are repeated over and over again.
You can remove the large brown plugs at the end of the cams and see the part number and positioning of the cell adjusters per bank.

Last edited by BRS-LN; 10-02-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 03:40 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

he's right. I think I understand about the parking pin. It's not engaged. I can turn the cam about 30° while it's in the car and the caps off. So why isn't that pin engaging? With no oil pressure that pin is on a spring and should engage on its own.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:43 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Can I be that guy that suggests that the both of you talk about this rather than write?

I've been involved in troubleshooting lots of client support issues. Talking is always the quickest path to getting on the same page.
The following users liked this post:
harveyf (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 04:51 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke
Talking is always the quickest path to getting on the same page.
Not if you're deaf.

The Duke (10-03-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 05:51 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

The parking pin is a component within the vane cell adjuster. It is there to lock the adjuster at a specified position on start up, prior to hydraulic pressure being achieved.
Rule #1 in engine building is to assume nothing and quantify everything, so that means you have to look at, and correctly position every piece within the engine during assembly. If you buy the video you'll see that these things are repeated over and over again.
You can remove the large brown plugs at the end of the cams and see the part number and positioning of the cell adjusters per bank.
this was it! I was the first DYI Ims bearing install from Jake on my back in my garage at home. Pm me with the bill. I will gladly pay for Jake's support, this has been a nightmare. He is one of very few people that understand exactly how it works. Not just how to complete final assembly. And if he won't make
me a bill, send me his Venmo, I'll send enough to buy him and you dinner
jbx2 (10-03-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 05:52 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Duke
Can I be that guy that suggests that the both of you talk about this rather than write?

I've been involved in troubleshooting lots of client support issues. Talking is always the quickest path to getting on the same page.
you can suggest it. But then the knowledge is lost as soon as the conversation is over. This way perhaps we can help someone else too.
harveyf (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 09:44 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

That was insanely impressive on Jake Raby’s part. Then to care enough to offer free advice, through LN no less, to you to fix the problem. Good people still exist.

this was it! I was the first DYI Ims bearing install from Jake on my back in my garage at home. Pm me with the bill. I will gladly pay for Jake's support, this has been a nightmare. He is one of very few people that understand exactly how it works. Not just how to complete final assembly. And if he won't make
me a bill, send me his Venmo, I'll send enough to buy him and you dinner
The following 2 users liked this post by SeanPatrick31:
jbx2 (10-03-2023), Shark Attack (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 09:30 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

you can suggest it. But then the knowledge is lost as soon as the conversation is over. This way perhaps we can help someone else too.
The idea is that you would be under the obligation to restate the discussion for the purposes of the same.

Anyhoo - the main point is that you believe you've now identified the source of your problem with Jake's help.

Quick Reply: Pulling my hair out trying to time this engine.