Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling my hair out trying to time this engine.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 02:23 PM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

Jake says that you don't owe him a dime. He is happy to help (though he tells me that he does not miss Rennlist!)
Guys, I can tell you that the more I am around FSI the more I see miraculous diagnoses like this occur. He knew exactly what this problem was without even thinking about it. All I had to do was mention the symptom to him.
I think the main reason that FSI retained so much information about these issues is from learning things the hard way, and making mistakes and having these engines kick their butts. He told me "you know how I learned this?" and of course I said "nope" and he replied "because I didn't have any other choice".
That said, the reason that I asked how the unit was cleaned and if it was disassembled is all because of the characteristics of the parking pin detent to stick/ fail. I have shadowed a couple of the builders at FSI over the past 18 months or so, and I noted that these vane cell adjusters are never cleaned with anything other than Marvel Mystery oil, or ATF. As soon as the engine comes apart they are put into ziplock bags and not cleaned until engine assembly time. Then the adjusters go into a large mason jar filled part way with fresh ATF or MM oil (with the lid on) and submerged into the ultrasonic cleaner bath. After about 30 minutes the jar is removed and the adjuster is like new, while the cleaning fluid is almost black. Sometimes they will change the cleaning fluid and go back for another round. Once they are pulled out and are clean enough the unit is tested to ensure it has proper parking pin operation, and the proper adjustment range before being installed.
We did take one of the adjuster units apart in the FSI engine rebuild school so we could see what the internals look like, and how it works. Other than that I haven't seen any others taken apart. From what I hear it is something strictly forbidden unless the unit is not working properly, and even then they typically don't go back together favorably.
FSI has dozens of these in their surplus inventory. Submit a ticket if you want to buy a good used one.
The following 3 users liked this post by BRS-LN:
plafondles (10-03-2023), SeanPatrick31 (10-03-2023), The Duke (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 07:49 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BRS-LN
Jake says that you don't owe him a dime. He is happy to help (though he tells me that he does not miss Rennlist!)
Guys, I can tell you that the more I am around FSI the more I see miraculous diagnoses like this occur. He knew exactly what this problem was without even thinking about it. All I had to do was mention the symptom to him.
I think the main reason that FSI retained so much information about these issues is from learning things the hard way, and making mistakes and having these engines kick their butts. He told me "you know how I learned this?" and of course I said "nope" and he replied "because I didn't have any other choice".
That said, the reason that I asked how the unit was cleaned and if it was disassembled is all because of the characteristics of the parking pin detent to stick/ fail. I have shadowed a couple of the builders at FSI over the past 18 months or so, and I noted that these vane cell adjusters are never cleaned with anything other than Marvel Mystery oil, or ATF. As soon as the engine comes apart they are put into ziplock bags and not cleaned until engine assembly time. Then the adjusters go into a large mason jar filled part way with fresh ATF or MM oil (with the lid on) and submerged into the ultrasonic cleaner bath. After about 30 minutes the jar is removed and the adjuster is like new, while the cleaning fluid is almost black. Sometimes they will change the cleaning fluid and go back for another round. Once they are pulled out and are clean enough the unit is tested to ensure it has proper parking pin operation, and the proper adjustment range before being installed.
We did take one of the adjuster units apart in the FSI engine rebuild school so we could see what the internals look like, and how it works. Other than that I haven't seen any others taken apart. From what I hear it is something strictly forbidden unless the unit is not working properly, and even then they typically don't go back together favorably.
FSI has dozens of these in their surplus inventory. Submit a ticket if you want to buy a good used one.
I took mine apart. Verified the sticking pin, cleaned it up really well and put it all back together. It didn't seem like that complicated of a device. However that pin was very critical of the smallest particular of dirt. It took me 3 tries getting it right. I finally took it into my office to assemble it. It's working... no DTC's! But now.... for gosh sake it's telling me low oil pressure. At that point I put down the wrenches and went home to bed. I've never had such a hard time with any engine. Im 54 and I've had my share. Im an automotive service manager. But this engine is kicking my ****.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:52 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

It's running, sounds good. But I'm terrified to drive it. Haha.

I had a low oil pressure issues last night. I changed the oil filter and the spring in the oil pump. Did not seem to have an issue tonight after that.

The car was run to temp about 3 times tonight. As specified to do by the folks that coated my pistons

it has about 30 min of run time. No CEL, idles a little rough when everything gets heat soaked. And with the oil pressure issues last night I'm terrified to drive it. What if something isn't getting oil!?!?!?!?!!!!
Old 10-04-2023, 01:35 PM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

You need to verify the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. See what it is with the oil temp at 180F at idle with the AC turned off. Then rev it to 3K RPM and see what the value is, but also how the gauge responds. Does the gauge dip some before elevating? Does the needle shake? Does the value drop when holding steady at 3K RPM, or stay solid?
What oil are you using?
I ran this by Jake and the first thing he said was 'is he confident that all 6 piston squirters were installed during assembly, and did he use my video to assemble the engine?"

Quick Reply: Pulling my hair out trying to time this engine.