Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 headliner sag

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 12:31 PM
jakal121
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.1 headliner sag

Headliner has sagged completely after some intense UK heat! - how much would it cost to repair by Porsche?

Anyone had any experience?
Old 09-18-2023, 03:12 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 321 Posts

If you want to replace it with a replacement OEM headliner, the cost of the actual headliner is a little bit north of 2000 USdollars. I replaced it myself (see the article linked below, search on "headliner") but I would imagine an experienced person could do it in 2-3 hours. If you search Rennlist you will find a lot of posts about folks that removed the headliner and glued a replacement fabric to the backing board. I did that to the same car in the article a number of years ago but I wanted to the car to look OEM so I bought the replacement from Porsche for my latest go-around. As to whether the Porsche replacement will fail in the same way, I do not know.

https://newhillgarage.com/2022/09/28...moval-refresh/

Old 09-19-2023, 09:20 AM
cavediver32043
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
If you want to replace it with a replacement OEM headliner, the cost of the actual headliner is a little bit north of 2000 USdollars. I replaced it myself (see the article linked below, search on "headliner") but I would imagine an experienced person could do it in 2-3 hours. If you search Rennlist you will find a lot of posts about folks that removed the headliner and glued a replacement fabric to the backing board. I did that to the same car in the article a number of years ago but I wanted to the car to look OEM so I bought the replacement from Porsche for my latest go-around. As to whether the Porsche replacement will fail in the same way, I do not know.

https://newhillgarage.com/2022/09/28...moval-refresh/
It will fail again ... its all about the environmentally friendly mandated Porsche crappy glue. Synonymous to Lokasil and Alusil blocks. Bore score will happen eventually....
Old 09-19-2023, 01:40 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jakal121
Headliner has sagged completely after some intense UK heat! - how much would it cost to repair by Porsche?

Anyone had any experience?
15 USD Amazon kit holds it up well with fabric-covered snaps in the same colour as the headliner. Concours judges won't like it, but it looks fine. It will probably last longer than any full replacement.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:20 PM
XuTVJet
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 97 Posts

For less than $150 in materials, an average DIYer can have the headliner out in less than an hour, the old liner and adhesive removed in 30 minutes, new fabric of their choice applied with fabric spray adhesive, and reinstalled. Lots of people have done this and there are many Youtube videos out there showing the process. OR you can have an interior shop do the work for around $500-800. OR you can spend $2000+ to have Porsche install a OEM panel for you.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:38 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,708 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by cavediver32043
It will fail again ... its all about the environmentally friendly mandated Porsche crappy glue. Synonymous to Lokasil and Alusil blocks. Bore score will happen eventually....
The glue isn't the issue, it is the foam backing that delaminates between the liner and the board.

Originally Posted by XuTVJet
For less than $150 in materials, an average DIYer can have the headliner out in less than an hour, the old liner and adhesive removed in 30 minutes, new fabric of their choice applied with fabric spray adhesive, and reinstalled. Lots of people have done this and there are many Youtube videos out there showing the process. OR you can have an interior shop do the work for around $500-800. OR you can spend $2000+ to have Porsche install a OEM panel for you.
Indeed, and my summary here on Rennlist.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 987.1 headliner sag