Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 CS Surging RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 09:00 AM
CJFusco
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 CS Surging RPM

I have an interesting issue in my 2007 Cayman S with 67k miles. The car has a surging idle when warm, which extends to on-throttle behavior: when one’s foot holds the throttle steady at what should be 3K RPM, the engine surges rhythmically between 2K and 3K.

I saw recently that one of the coil packs was starting to crack, so I replaced coil packs and plugs preventatively, with fingers crossed that it would cure the surging RPM issue, but no dice.

I’m suspecting either a vacuum leak somewhere, throttle sensor, or possibly MAF sensor? Any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2023, 10:59 AM
CJFusco
Intermediate

Bump. Has anyone encountered this issue before?
Old 01-08-2023, 04:20 PM
CJFusco
Intermediate

UPDATE! Even though this has gotten zero responses, it might help others down the road.

I plugged in my tuning software, and found one code: 1095, which is “mass air flow ahead of throttle vale implausible (too high)”. Now, the car does have an IPD plenum and 997 GT3 throttle body, but it’s running a tune to adjust airflow and has been doing so for several years with no issue.

On visual inspection, I did find that one of the hoses running from the the AOS to the TB was maybe a little loose, and also had some oily residue around it. Pulling that hose, it looks like there is a little bit of oil in the hose. I disconnected the hose from the AOS itself, and there was more oil at that end. See attached pics.

So: follow-up questions: 1) might this loose hose (if it was indeed loose) have caused that idle surge and error code? And 2) is the oily residue a warning sign that my AOS is beginning to fail?

Last edited by CJFusco; 01-08-2023 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to add pics.

Quick Reply: 07 CS Surging RPM