Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Cayman S 2700 Miles purchasing advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 09:27 PM
VSX_97
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Cayman S 2700 Miles purchasing advice

Hello everyone, First post here apologies if theres a thread for this before or if its not allowed. Any advice and tips are appreciated. I have a deposit and im set to pick up a 2008 Cayman S for 45k this Saturday with only 3k miles.

I've read so much on the car that im honestly overwhelmed. I read that these cars are reliable but at the same time I hear the exact opposite with Gen 1 987s. I've talked to two different porsche mechanics for a ppi and they both told me there's only so much they can see at this time and that everything might seem okay and the actual symptoms present themselves after the cars been driven. They mentioned these cars are meant to be driven in order to keep all the rubber components working. Not sure if the intent is to cover themselves or if thats actually true and a PPI wouldnt do much.

Is a car with that few miles something to stay away from? Shall I just prepare my pockets for future maintance. If so, how expensive is maintance really. I would love to have any insight from actual owners as this will be my first Porsche.

Thank you so much for taking your time to even read this haha.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:41 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 327 Posts

I guess it has crossed your mind that putting any miles on the car is just reducing it's value. Reliability being beside the point. I would consider a car with this low mileage a buy and hold purchase, for someone who already has several Porsches. That said, there is nothing beyond the tires that I can think of that "ages out". I have a 2006 Cayman S with 75K miles and I don't worry about the rubber parts crumbling or anything. My biggest maintenance cost to date has been replacing the interior after mice got into it. Pop the frunk and on the passenger side firewall, there is a cabin air filter. Make sure that mice haven't chewed a hole through it because once they do, they will run wild in your car!
Old 12-14-2022, 09:59 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Serpentine belt ages out, as well as the battery.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:19 PM
VSX_97
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by harveyf
I guess it has crossed your mind that putting any miles on the car is just reducing it's value. Reliability being beside the point. I would consider a car with this low mileage a buy and hold purchase, for someone who already has several Porsches. That said, there is nothing beyond the tires that I can think of that "ages out". I have a 2006 Cayman S with 75K miles and I don't worry about the rubber parts crumbling or anything. My biggest maintenance cost to date has been replacing the interior after mice got into it. Pop the frunk and on the passenger side firewall, there is a cabin air filter. Make sure that mice haven't chewed a hole through it because once they do, they will run wild in your car!
For sure! I don't plan on buying it for value retention. I see it more of an opportunity to buy a "new" 2008 cayman S for 45k. That being said im sure 30k miles later it'll still be worth about half of what I paid for it. Which is a price im willing to pay to drive that bad boy.
Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Serpentine belt ages out, as well as the battery.
The car has service records of it receiving maintanence every year. Iirc there's records of the battery being swamped out.
Old 12-15-2022, 10:14 AM
KrisA
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
I guess it has crossed your mind that putting any miles on the car is just reducing it's value. Reliability being beside the point. I would consider a car with this low mileage a buy and hold purchase, for someone who already has several Porsches.
Alternatively you could look at it as having the chance to buy a new old stock car for well under MSRP and treat it like a new car. IE: drive it! So what that it depreciates from $45,000 to $30,000 once it goes up to 20,000 miles, it's still way cheaper than buying a new one. Plus it looks better, is smaller, and has better steering to boot!

I think M97 owners have learned a lot about bore scoring since this car was produced. If you use the right oil, change it regularly, limit short trips, and don't hammer on the motor until it's up to temp this car likely has a long healthy life ahead of it.
The following users liked this post:
cavediver32043 (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 11:16 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by VSX_97
For sure! I don't plan on buying it for value retention. I see it more of an opportunity to buy a "new" 2008 cayman S for 45k. That being said im sure 30k miles later it'll still be worth about half of what I paid for it. Which is a price im willing to pay to drive that bad boy.
The car has service records of it receiving maintanence every year. Iirc there's records of the battery being swamped out.
In that case, I commend your attitude! I don't list my 06 in my profile because technically it's my wife's car. She bought it new. Knock on wood but it has been one of the most trouble free cars we have ever owned. Valid comment on the serpentine belt and battery. Both have been replaced on her car. I did a full brake service recently. In general, it has been a very solid car. I also agree with the bore score comment by @KrisA . I imagine that bore scoring and IMS bearing are the two things you are reading about. IMS bearing failure rate on the Cayman is really quite low and I suspect, % wise, so is bore scoring. But when it happens it is quite a wake up call. I wouldn't worry about it too much. PCA has a good Tech Tactics video that you should look at.
The early Caymans are about as analog as you can get (for a car with a CAN bus!), i.e. no brakes or steering "by wire", etc. I think they are great cars. That is why there are 2 in our family!

And welcome to the forum. Be a regular visitor. It's fun!

Last edited by harveyf; 12-15-2022 at 11:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by harveyf:
cavediver32043 (12-16-2022), rdcyclist (12-16-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 01:10 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

paying a premium price for a car just become it has super low-mileage is not worth it, if you plan on driving it. get one in the 20-40 thousand mile range that's being driven on a more regular basis and you'll save yourself ten grand or so and the car will perform just as well. let a collector type buy it. you know, one of those guys that collects G.I. Joe dolls in a box with the cellophane still intact.
The following 4 users liked this post by hueyhoolihan:
Kattman (12-17-2022), mtbrdad (12-17-2022), rdcyclist (12-16-2022), RennHarry (12-16-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 07:18 PM
palestar
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
paying a premium price for a car just become it has super low-mileage is not worth it, if you plan on driving it. get one in the 20-40 thousand mile range that's being driven on a more regular basis and you'll save yourself ten grand or so and the car will perform just as well. let a collector type buy it. you know, one of those guys that collects G.I. Joe dolls in a box with the cellophane still intact.
I totally agree. It's just not worth the premium unless you plan on keeping it stored somewhere and treating it as an investment. I also feel like a car with so few miles is also going to have more issues than a car that was used and properly maintained.
rdcyclist (12-16-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 10:03 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Replacing the sepentine belt would be a more pressing concern if it’s original. They can look fine but what a hassle if it were to break.
rdcyclist (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 09:28 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 152 Posts

Let me disagree with the idea that buying a low mileage car and driving it isnt worth it.

I did exactly that with a BMW E91 wagon that I got at 6 years old with 14,000 miles. I have used it as our daily and long distance cruiser until now, whenever a new Audi replaces it. I now have 87,000 miles on it.

In terms of maintenance costs, much like the Cayman, it is solid and behaved pretty much like a new car would have. All the replacement costs that are built in came years later for the car than if it had been driven regularly for the first six years.

In terms of depreciation my guess is I could sell it for about $15,000 less than I bought it for. Not bad for seven years of driving 12,000 miles a year.

With the Cayman, the OP is paying a premium for a low mileage car now, but it's a safe bet that in 4 to 6 years, even with regular use (in Porsche world and my experience 4,000 miles a year) the car will still be low mileage, just not ultra low mileage, and would be snapped up by a user with little loss of money. The only way IMO that this formula gets altered is if the car is abused or damaged.

Last edited by andy7777; 12-16-2022 at 09:29 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by andy7777:
cavediver32043 (12-16-2022), harveyf (12-16-2022), jbx2 (01-01-2023), sectachrome (12-16-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 12:15 AM
VSX_97
3rd Gear

This thread has been no different than what I've read everywhere else. It seems like it's a very divided topic, which ultimately seems like it's up to personal preference. Thank you all for the input! I'm set to go out and see the car tomorrow, and I will report back with the ultimate decision. I know just hearing the car start is going to do things to me that my body might not be ready for ha!
Old 12-17-2022, 01:50 AM
Kattman
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

This thread has been no different than what I've read everywhere else. It seems like it's a very divided topic, which ultimately seems like it's up to personal preference. Thank you all for the input! I'm set to go out and see the car tomorrow, and I will report back with the ultimate decision. I know just hearing the car start is going to do things to me that my body might not be ready for ha!
Yup....you'll never find a more 'polarizing' topic..

That said, I wouldn't touch a 987.1 with that few miles. Especially with the 3.4l engine. Get your funds all lined up, if you buy that car.
Old 12-17-2022, 02:02 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Hope your visit to the car went well. I would just make sure that the oil has been changed every couple of years, Now the brake fluid needs refreshing and as other suggested the belt. Tires need to be inspected for small cracks and check on the side wall for the manufacturing date, Be sure to change the tires if they are over 8 years old. I unlike other here would love that car. Break it in slowly, than drive the crap out of it. Change the oil every 4000 miles using Motul ester oil. The cylinder walls and piston skits will love you for using this oil.
Drive it for a couple of months then decide to modify if to your hearts desires. I bought mine with 23k 5 years ago and have put a lot into the suspension, engine intake, exhaust, brakes, wheels, tires, shift cables and short shifter, and Porsche Tequipment roof rack. Now using the car for autocross, Porsche touring and road bike hauler. I try not to use it for short infrequent drives, rather to get the oil hot for at least half an hour. I budgeted about $4-5k a year for up grades, I dont expect to get any additional value out of the car, but just for my own driving satisfaction. So far, the 40k miles have been enjoyed to the max..
Its all about the mechanical sensations, 6 speed manual, Soul long tube catless headers, Milltec muffler, Softronic Race intake and flash, LN deep sump, screw on filter system, skid plate, Ohlin coilovers, Tarett Cup LCA;s down links, Elephant racing r &r steering rod and r adjustable toe link. GT2 brake cooling ducts f and r. 3 sets of wheels and tires, I found that engine braking along with the Wavetrac LSD changed the complexion of the car. This car puts a smile on my face at every start up.

Last edited by Apex1; 12-17-2022 at 09:17 PM.
rdcyclist (12-18-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 03:35 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 92 Posts

Buyer’s remorse last about 15 to 20 minutes on a Porsche. A 2008 Cayman S will never be a collector Porsche. If you are comfortable with the price and dig the car absolutely go for it. Personally I would change the oil, serpentine belt, plugs( just because they have been sitting in the block for well over the recommended time frame from Porsche), brake fluid and take a look at the cabin filter and engine filter. On the fence about new tires, likely just fine just kinda depends on where and how the car was stored and it they have some flat spots. Also have the battery checked. Enjoy your Porsche today
Old 12-18-2022, 11:08 PM
DonW
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So... did you end up getting the car?

I'd also agree that I'd rather buy a 20-40k mile car if I was planning on tacking 30k miles to it, but honestly... cars are meant to be driven, so if you did in fact buy it, I do hope you really enjoy it for years to come.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayman S 2700 Miles purchasing advice