Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Cayman S 2700 Miles purchasing advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 09:22 AM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

No word? Maybe he didn't get it.

My 2 cents, bought mine in 2018 with 56K on it. Drive it daily about 2 hours RT (120miles) to work and back 2-3 times a week. Puts a smile on my face every morning around 4:30AM when I start it and know there is nobody on the road! Has 126K miles now and has been very reliable. Change oil every 5k miles with Driven DT40 oil.
One additional thing I would recommend besides serpentine belt and oil is to check the coils. Original ones tended to crack. 3 out of 6 of mine were cracked. There are replacement coils with thicker heads on them. Not sure if this is an issue with a car with 3k miles, but something to look out for. IMS isn't really an issue on these. Bore scoring can be, but seems to be more on tracked cars or ones in colder climates. Hoping my engine lasts another 100K but if it doesn't, I will be replacing it with another as I don't plan on letting this car go. Just too much fun.
The following users liked this post:
cavediver32043 (12-20-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 01:03 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mytime1

My 2 cents, bought mine in 2018 with 56K on it. Drive it daily about 2 hours RT (120miles) to work and back 2-3 times a week. Puts a smile on my face every morning around 4:30AM when I start it and know there is nobody on the road! Has 126K miles now and has been very reliable. Change oil every 5k miles with Driven DT40 oil.
One additional thing I would recommend besides serpentine belt and oil is to check the coils. Original ones tended to crack. 3 out of 6 of mine were cracked. There are replacement coils with thicker heads on them. Not sure if this is an issue with a car with 3k miles, but something to look out for. IMS isn't really an issue on these. Bore scoring can be, but seems to be more on tracked cars or ones in colder climates. Hoping my engine lasts another 100K but if it doesn't, I will be replacing it with another as I don't plan on letting this car go. Just too much fun.
I believe that he was negatively impacted by prior posts. Glad to hear your car is running as it should. DT-40 has ZDDP, which shorten the life of the cat converters and cause small build up on the cylinder bores which wear the plastic matrix piston skirts.

Last edited by Apex1; 12-19-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:47 AM
cavediver32043
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mytime1

Ditto All!

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayman S 2700 Miles purchasing advice