Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

LSD 987.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2022 | 09:47 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Default LSD 987.1

I know that the 987.2 had a limited slip diff option, and may have seen some 987.1s with it, but does anyone know if fitting a Quaiffe on a Boxster S would mess up the electronics any?

Has anyone had experience with an LSD of any kind on a 987.1?
Old 07-01-2022 | 10:17 PM
jscott82
Drifting

For track use you really want a clutch diff like Guard. Works like a champ, no issues with electronics, PSM is not that smart in these cars....

For putting power down accelerating, torsional diffs like the Quaiffe are fine though.
The following users liked this post:
BondJ (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022 | 03:02 AM
BondJ
Pro

100%^^^^^ A plated LSD is definitely the best bet for track junkies. It has better traction, provides drive even when kerb-hopping (one wheel unloaded) and can be adjusted. The down side is understeer. The nose will always push wide with spirited driving - irrelevant on the track, not so hot on the street.
Old 07-02-2022 | 06:14 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Many thanks,

I wasn't clear, this is not going to be a track car, I use a Cayman R with it's apparently weak LSD for the track. I was interested in replicating what Porsche offered up and thought the Quaiffe was a reasonable choice. Hoping someone has experience there.
Old 07-02-2022 | 10:47 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy7777
Many thanks, I wasn't clear, this is not going to be a track car, I use a Cayman R with it's apparently weak LSD for the track. I was interested in replicating what Porsche offered up and thought the Quaiffe was a reasonable choice. Hoping someone has experience there.
If it's not going to be a track car, what are your expectations from adding a TBD or LSD? Street only, despite braggadocio you'll hear, IMHO a waste of your money. (And I make money selling and installing them!)
The following 5 users liked this post by KevinGross:
joliver3 (07-03-2022), KLOC (02-13-2023), mjanmohammad (07-04-2022), TMc993 (07-02-2022), tvrbob (07-03-2022)
Old 07-03-2022 | 07:04 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KevinGross
If it's not going to be a track car, what are your expectations from adding a TBD or LSD? Street only, despite braggadocio you'll hear, IMHO a waste of your money. (And I make money selling and installing them!)
That's just it, I am curious what a good mechanical LSD or TBD would feel like on the older Boxster S. I've had the Porsche Torque Vectoring on a 981 and could feel it on tighter turns. I have what is supposedly a weak and not very good LSD on the Cayman R, and it's not particularly apparent on the street. I've been slowly playing with my Boxster to sharpen it up, and wanted to know if people had experience with a (specifically) Quaiffe but also any other LSD/TBD on the chassis. I read in an old thread that there was a group buy back in 2006 or so when the Cayman came out.

Thanks for your input Kevin.
Old 01-26-2023 | 11:20 PM
Apex1
Instructor

andy- I have a Wavetrac ATB LSD and have pushed this modification up my list of useful mods every year. I use it for autocross acceleration from the apex and braking as well. It livens up the car, but in safe ways. It does not cause snap oversteer out of corners, even when wet. It reduces any brake wobble side to side at threshold braking, The ability to push the envelope without much risk is where this LSD sits. I really wish I could have a sprint booster installed at the same time as my LSD. This would have activated the thrust forward even more than my right foot. I just felt that I was slamming the throttle down after the install more than in the past. Wavetracc has a slider that reduces the torque to the unweighted tire redirected to the outside one smoothly without any interference from or to the Porsche System Management . In fact, I was able on many runs to leave the PSM on by not exceeding the 8 degree slip angle. It give more control of the rear end without much front understeer even in the wet.
the clutch style LSD have more positive impact on rear wheel spin than Wavetrac, which can cause snap oversteer where the Wavetrac slider is less aggressive as its not a total lockup. The slider does transfer torque to the outside tire even when the inside tire is unweighted or spinning on wet or ice which Quaiffle does not do. Also, the stickier tire you use on street will make a difference to the effectivness of the Wavetrac LSD. It actually makes the car have much more thrust with less sticky tires, as it transfers the torque to the traction tire without any fanfare, you will not notice this effort, it just does its job. With Hoosier A7 slicks, its a very big help in light rain.

Last edited by Apex1; 01-27-2023 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-27-2023 | 12:23 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apex1
andy- I have a Wavetrac ATB LSD and have pushed this modification up my list of useful mods every year. I use it for autocross acceleration from the apex and braking as well. It livens up the car, but in safe ways. It does not cause snap oversteer out of corners, even when wet. It reduces any brake wobble side to side at threshold braking, The ability to push the envelope without much risk is where this LSD sits. I really wish I could have a sprint booster installed at the same time as my LSD. This would have activated the thrust forward even more than my right foot. I just felt that I was slamming the throttle down after the install more than in the past. Wavetracc has a slider that reduces the torque to the unweighted tire redirected to the outside one smoothly without any interference from or to the Porsche System Management . In fact, I was able on many runs to leave the PSM on by not exceeding the 8 degree slip angle. It give more control of the rear end without much front understeer even in the wet.
the clutch style LSD have more positive impact on rear wheel spin than Wavetrac, which can cause snap oversteer where the Wavetrac slider is less aggressive as its not a total lockup. The slider does transfer torque to the outside tire even when the inside tire is unweighted or spinning on wet or ice which Quaiffle does not do. Also, the stickier tire you use on street will make a difference to the effectivness of the Wavetrac LSD. It actually makes the car have much more thrust with less sticky tires, as it transfers the torque to the traction tire without any fanfare, you will not notice this effort, it just does its job. With Hoosier A7 slicks, its a very big help in light rain.
Thank you, lots of good thoughts here to consider.
Old 02-04-2023 | 08:30 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BondJ
100%^^^^^ A plated LSD is definitely the best bet for track junkies. It has better traction, provides drive even when kerb-hopping (one wheel unloaded) and can be adjusted. The down side is understeer. The nose will always push wide with spirited driving - irrelevant on the track, not so hot on the street.
Not so hot in autocross, either. Someone put an LSD in the Lotus Europa I had. OK with fresh stickies on a high-traction surface, but in lower-traction courses it pushed everywhere. I put a whole bottle of Slick-50 ManTran in it and it lowered the breakaway torque from 90 footpounds to 20 footpounds. Much better. After that I put a new bottle in every spring.
BondJ (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023 | 08:31 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

duplicate
Old 02-05-2023 | 11:05 AM
BondJ
Pro

Originally Posted by FlipE
Not so hot in autocross, either. Someone put an LSD in the Lotus Europa I had. OK with fresh stickies on a high-traction surface, but in lower-traction courses it pushed everywhere. I put a whole bottle of Slick-50 ManTran in it and it lowered the breakaway torque from 90 footpounds to 20 footpounds. Much better. After that I put a new bottle in every spring.
Lol. Sounds like you found out the hard way (as I did many years ago) the plated LSD commands a lot of respect/skill when cornering with power at lower speeds
I still maintain it’s a better bet around a high speed track though….

Last edited by BondJ; 02-05-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2023 | 04:40 PM
Apex1
Instructor

I found the mid engined Cayman with limited HP can exist with a ATB LSD Wavetrac. The slider does actually drive the weighted wheel more but not to the point mentioned above creating snap over steer. In fact, I am installing a Sprint Booster, a throttle body controller to gain more immediate response from the corner apex to exit. With RE71RS, the car simply is stuck where I put it. It does rotate though through the slalom sections in autocross, but on the track these tires are simply monsters.
Old 02-05-2023 | 10:28 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BondJ
Lol. Sounds like you found out the hard way (as I did many years ago) the plated LSD commands a lot of respect/skill when cornering with power at lower speeds
I still maintain it’s a better bet around a high speed track though….
The Europa did not have a lot of power. The idea that you would break the rear away with power only worked when it was slippery. The problem with having the plate LSD in autocross on this car was that there was very little weight on the front wheels. The front wheels could break loose before they could generate enough torque to break the LSD loose. The result was that once the front washed out, nothing could bring it back. Power on, it plowed. Trailing throttle, it plowed. Clutch in and coast, it plowed. Essentially anything you did, the car went in a straight line.

I think that Europa would have done fine with an open diff. It would have done fine with a TorSen. It would probably been just fine on a big track, but I'm not a big-track guy. In those days I didn't have the resources to remove the LSD. Sabotaging the LSD with a product labeled "do not use in limited-slip differentials" was the cheap way to get most of what I needed,

With decent tires and good surface, I came close to FTD a few times with that Europa. Considering what a cheap car it was and my lack of natural talent, I can't complain.

Old 02-18-2023 | 03:27 PM
Apex1
Instructor

I really like the Wavetrac - Sprint Booster race 1 (Red) mode. This solves the not so urgent post apex to the corner exit I was feeling. It didn't interfere with the PSM, it just felt too controlled. Now with the Sprint Booster, I can feel the throttle body engage much more rapidly. I am able to modulate the throttle much more effectively now. So for those who want the benefits of the LSD and the urgency of a plate stye LSD, you can have both with the Wavetrac and Sprint Booster. Knowing you have plenty of adjustments at your finger tips with the Sprint Booster controller hidden behind the steering wheel. Even slow corners you will experience someunder steer, but I have a larger front tire 255/35/18 and smaller rear tire 275/35/18 than some. I also changed the balance of the Tarett GT swaybars to gain more front traction, yet really have not experience any snap oversteer even with the Red 1 settings.
Old 02-22-2023 | 03:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Just to add a little factual detail about clutch type differential, a properly tuned LSD does not act like a spool and go full lock, ever. That’s why they have published locking percentages.

Our Cayman/Boxster line up of LSDs have two different set up options, 30/50 and 50/50. The first number is locking percentage on throttle and the second is locking percentage under braking.

The 30/50 is the appropriate set up for a street car or auto-x vehicle. 50/50 is track oriented.
rdcyclist (04-09-2023)

Quick Reply: LSD 987.1