Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris’ Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 08:12 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
I daily'd a VW GTI Mk5, which has a similar oil filter cartridge housing to our 9A1, but the filter housing has a cap which can be unscrewed and there's a drain valve. There's aftermarket hoses which can be attached to the drain valve. Wish there was a similar housing available for our Porsches to keep things clean.

Zach - seems like a great idea to submit here, https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...ent-ideas.html
The following users liked this post:
CAinCA (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 01:12 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke
Zach - seems like a great idea to submit here, https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...ent-ideas.html
+1. I'd buy that if it actually worked. We had a Highlander that had a drain built into the housing. It was a total PITA. About half the time it would either not drain/took forever or it would leak like a sieve. A friend was a dealer tech told me that none of the techs ever used that drain.
ekam (06-12-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 02:25 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke
Done!
Old 06-12-2023, 05:20 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

A minor update: I've owned this car for just over a year and put ~15k miles and 6 track days on it. I've really enjoyed it. It was cheap enough that I don't feel bad racking up miles or track days on it. I've just done basic maintenance (oil changes/air filter/DSG fluid/filter) and swapped the brake pads over for track days.

The adjustable lower control arms in the front and track(ish) alignment have been all it really needed to make it a decent track day car. The PS4S street tires have 7k miles on them and still look good. The extra camber doesn't seem to be wearing them abnormally.

I'd be lying if I said that I haven't been tempted to buy something faster (newer Cayman S/GTS, C8?) but I'll probably hang onto it for at least another year or two. Once my son graduates college I'll probably look for an upgrade.
Old 06-14-2023, 03:15 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 277 Posts

One of the few cars you can swap brake pads and tires and rip around a track without issue. The value is great on these cars. Glad you've enjoyed it.
CAinCA (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 04:02 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CAinCA
A minor update: I've owned this car for just over a year and put ~15k miles and 6 track days on it. I've really enjoyed it. It was cheap enough that I don't feel bad racking up miles or track days on it. I've just done basic maintenance (oil changes/air filter/DSG fluid/filter) and swapped the brake pads over for track days.

The adjustable lower control arms in the front and track(ish) alignment have been all it really needed to make it a decent track day car. The PS4S street tires have 7k miles on them and still look good. The extra camber doesn't seem to be wearing them abnormally.

I'd be lying if I said that I haven't been tempted to buy something faster (newer Cayman S/GTS, C8?) but I'll probably hang onto it for at least another year or two. Once my son graduates college I'll probably look for an upgrade.
I'm in a similar situation, although I've only had my Base 2011 Cayman a few months, and only done one DE day.

I love it. A lot. But oddly enough, I find it's really similar to my 2013 NC Miata. Even the cockpit feels similar. Both silver exterior and black interior.

Yeah, the Porsche is faster, but there is something about that Miata.

I can see wanting a Guards Red 981 GTS with Beige leather someday. Right?
CAinCA (06-14-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 07:22 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

Last Saturday at Laguna Seca was interesting. It was HOT, at least for Laguna. The temperatures were in the low 90's all day. My car was HOT, like 240F by the middle of each session. The new surface was great. I was able to brake about 1/2 marker later on every turn. Unfortunately that really didn't translate into much time wise. I think I shaved .2 seconds off my personal best. Also, for some reason my RaceBox Mini would not connect to my iPhone. I wound up renting a transponder and using my iPhone for GPS data in RaceChrono. So, the time is real but everything else is weird in the video.

While I was swapping the brakes and tires over the weekend I noticed that the left outer CV boot is torn. It looks like it happened at the track since there was grease on the inside of the wheel. I made an appointment to have it and the spark plugs replaced since they have about 30k miles on them.

The Goodyears look like they are done. I got 4 track days and a few hundred road miles out of them.

I also ordered a center radiator kit from Suncoast Porsche Parts. I don't want to deal with the car overheating while I'm at the track.

Last edited by CAinCA; 10-17-2023 at 07:23 PM.
The Duke (10-17-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 05:58 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

I installed the third radiator last weekend. It went fairly smoothly until I realized that they shipped the wrong grill for my car. I emailed the vendor and had the correct grill two days later.

I dropped the car off at my local indy P car shop and gave them a laundry list, spark plugs, belt, CV boot, coolant flush, general inspection. It should be done this afternoon.

I also ordered a set of Nankang CR-S V2s to try out. They seem like a good tire for my needs based on Andy Hollis' from GRM and Rennlist reviews.

Finally, I signed up for a track day at Sonoma on the 19th. I'm looking forward to trying it out again.
Old 11-21-2023, 02:14 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

I hit Sonoma for the second time on Sunday. It rained on and off most of last week but finally stopped at 5PM on Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning the track was still damp and it was only 48F outside. By the second session the track had mostly dried out and I started to get a feel for the tires. They felt pretty good overall but got a little nervous towards the end of the session. I dropped the pressure targeting 33psi HOT and my times kept getting better but it took 2-3 fast laps before the tires would come up to pressure. I wound up with a personal best 1:59.65 in the forth session. I lifted coming out of 7 to give myself some space to the cars in front and from the data that cost me about .8 seconds. Watching the video there are a couple places I could improve. I'm consistently hugging the left side between 1-2 and need to be further right. I'm also turning in too early on 6 and 10. The Nankang CR-S V2 feel really good. I was able to drop my personal best time by almost 4 seconds compared to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3's.

The following 2 users liked this post by CAinCA:
quickboxster (11-21-2023), sasilverbullet (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 04:57 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by CAinCA
I hit Sonoma for the second time on Sunday. It rained on and off most of last week but finally stopped at 5PM on Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning the track was still damp and it was only 48F outside. By the second session the track had mostly dried out and I started to get a feel for the tires. They felt pretty good overall but got a little nervous towards the end of the session. I dropped the pressure targeting 33psi HOT and my times kept getting better but it took 2-3 fast laps before the tires would come up to pressure. I wound up with a personal best 1:59.65 in the forth session. I lifted coming out of 7 to give myself some space to the cars in front and from the data that cost me about .8 seconds. Watching the video there are a couple places I could improve. I'm consistently hugging the left side between 1-2 and need to be further right. I'm also turning in too early on 6 and 10. The Nankang CR-S V2 feel really good. I was able to drop my personal best time by almost 4 seconds compared to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3's.

https://youtu.be/oKvXgB1TE6w?si=X-OErmbCLhYVuNpB
Do you run 18's or 19's? Could you please give the exact size fr and rear tire size you use?
Old 11-21-2023, 07:23 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Do you run 18's or 19's? Could you please give the exact size fr and rear tire size you use?
245/40ZR18 F / 275/40ZR18 R. I'm running the Apex SM-10 wheels in 18x9 and 18x10.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:58 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

I had another HPDE at Laguna Seca on Saturday. It was 37 degrees when I got there. I think that's the coldest it's been when I've been here.

I dropped my pressures to 25/26 cold before the first session. I wound up at 35/36 hot. The funny thing is that the car developed a little oversteer towards the end but my lap times kept dropping. I had a series of 49s and 48s then a 45 and finally a 1:44.37. That beat my personal best by 3.6 seconds. I dropped the pressures down to 31/33 hot afterwards. I managed to knock another 3 tenths off my time in the second session. 1:44.07. RaceChrono says I could shave another 2 tenths off if I combined my best sector times. The last two sessions it's warmed up into the low 60s and there was a bit more traffic. These CR-S are easily 3 seconds a lap faster than the Goodyear Supercar 3s. I didn't manage to lower my PB any more after the second session, but my average times were consistently lower each session. I had multiple laps in the 1:44-45 range in the last three sessions. I was going out with the tires at 23/24psi cold (65F). They would get up to 28psi by the end of lap 2 and I felt comfortable pushing them hard from that point on. They were around 31/32.5psi by the end of each session. The temperatures were very even across all four tires. The rears do seem to want to be a little lower as they are still a little hotter in the middle than at the edges (+5F or so).

Needless to say I'm really liking these Nankang CR-S. Highly recommend.

Apex Wheels (12-11-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 04:25 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

I installed a new pair of rear PS4S on the car on Saturday at 74,550 miles. I got 10,800 miles out of my first set.
Old 12-20-2023, 06:52 PM
Hike
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharp

Last edited by Hike; 12-20-2023 at 06:54 PM.
CAinCA (12-21-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 06:53 PM
Hike
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff, love the photographs...
Meep meep!
CAinCA (12-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Chris’ Cayman