Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Engine issues after rear control module reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 02:08 AM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

As expected. You may want to look into DIY replacement. Shouldn't be that hard. Do you know the location of the HPFP on your engine? Is it accessible?
I forgot - did you measure the LPFP output pressure (before you spend the money for HPFP)?

Last edited by HETPE3B; 08-01-2022 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:17 AM
ebirck
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was hoping for a DIY replacement, but unfortunately no, it does not seem accessible. Step 5 in the official service manual for replacing it is "lower the engine" -_-. You can see it through the belt access panel to the engine bay from the cabin, but the clearance is definitely too tight to access - let alone get it out.

Looks like on some models you can access it from below after removing some of the muffler (e.g. this DIY guide for a 997.2), however I don't think the 987.2 is as accessible from below either. Even if it were, I unfortunately do not have a lift or other safe mechanism to get under the car. All that considered, $750 labor for a (hopefully) professional job with a warranty is pretty good as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:57 PM
ebirck
Intermediate

Default Final result

Got my car back today, all patched up. The shop told me they had to lower the engine roughly 30cm to access the HPFP, so definitely not a DIY job unless you’re very well equipped. Total ended up being $3200; $2k for labor and ~$1200 for the part. There are plenty available from third parties for closer to $900, but buying through the shop they warranty the part and job for a year so I figured that was worth it.

So far so good since the swap, definitely back to full power and no lights or complaints. I’ll update again if anything changes. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and help, happy to answer any questions for others in the future.

Cheers!
Old 08-13-2022, 05:00 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by ebirck
Got my car back today, all patched up. The shop told me they had to lower the engine roughly 30cm to access the HPFP, so definitely not a DIY job unless you’re very well equipped. Total ended up being $3200; $2k for labor and ~$1200 for the part. There are plenty available from third parties for closer to $900, but buying through the shop they warranty the part and job for a year so I figured that was worth it.

So far so good since the swap, definitely back to full power and no lights or complaints. I’ll update again if anything changes. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and help, happy to answer any questions for others in the future.

Cheers!
That's great news! What exactly needed to be replaced? Have you solved the rear control module. Is that working now?
Old 08-13-2022, 05:05 PM
ebirck
Intermediate

The rough engine running was the HPFP, as many suggested. The timing is still baffling to me, but I suppose coincidences happen, and I can’t think of anything Porsche could’ve done that would’ve caused the pump to act up.

The rear control module has been working since the replacement, minus the key fobs and the top control. Which is what I originally took the car to Porsche to fix, but oh well. At this point I’m happy with manual keys and top operation. I’ll probably look into the top over time, but this is a sunny day far for me anyway so no real rush there either, I’ll probably just save the money for now.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:17 AM
enlico
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Cheers!
Happy you got it sorted out!
One question: sorry if I missed the information, but did you check with your local Porsche dealership if this could have been covered by Porsche Service Campaign WB08? Apparently many many people on the forum got it replaced under this cover or with a goodwill from Porsche. I am curious to know if you had this conversation and in case what was their reasoning for declining this replacement service for free.
I'm also victim to this issue now...
Enjoy your ride!
Old 09-21-2022, 01:47 AM
ebirck
Intermediate

Hey @enlico

So sorry to hear you're going through the same, as a new Porsche owner it certainly wasn't a fun experience. I didn't know much about the issue going into it, so unfortunately I wasn't aware of the recall. I'd certainly give it a try, worst case they say no, best case you save a few grand.

For my case specifically, at the risk of sounding unappreciative of this wonderful brand, I think my dealer was just being a bit of a *****. I went to two dealers actually; the first before I knew of the pump issue quoted me $1300 for my faulty rear control module, which I declined to try myself, but they conveniently started ignoring all my calls after that. So I found another in the area, hired them to reprogram my module, after which my pump was acting up - the module was not programmed - and they refused to look at either without me paying their full hourly rate, despite happily charging me for the unsuccessful reprogram. I get that dealers are busy and there's a whole loyalty component to luxury brands like Porsche, but I couldn't help but feel they didn't treat me well because I clearly wasn't a high-value customer. And I think the whole loyalty-for-service thing is BS. So anyway, rant aside ... I ended asking around and found a great indy shop that I will certainly be using instead of Porsche in the future.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer already, I'd certainly give it a go, but my luck wasn't such; I'd start considering indy shops unless you want to pay full service-center costs for the swap.

Either way, I hope the best for you and your car. They're incredible machines and one heck of a hoot to drive, even if their dealers are still dealers

Cheers!
Old 09-21-2022, 07:17 AM
enlico
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey @enlico

So sorry to hear you're going through the same, as a new Porsche owner it certainly wasn't a fun experience. I didn't know much about the issue going into it, so unfortunately I wasn't aware of the recall. I'd certainly give it a try, worst case they say no, best case you save a few grand.

For my case specifically, at the risk of sounding unappreciative of this wonderful brand, I think my dealer was just being a bit of a *****. I went to two dealers actually; the first before I knew of the pump issue quoted me $1300 for my faulty rear control module, which I declined to try myself, but they conveniently started ignoring all my calls after that. So I found another in the area, hired them to reprogram my module, after which my pump was acting up - the module was not programmed - and they refused to look at either without me paying their full hourly rate, despite happily charging me for the unsuccessful reprogram. I get that dealers are busy and there's a whole loyalty component to luxury brands like Porsche, but I couldn't help but feel they didn't treat me well because I clearly wasn't a high-value customer. And I think the whole loyalty-for-service thing is BS. So anyway, rant aside ... I ended asking around and found a great indy shop that I will certainly be using instead of Porsche in the future.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer already, I'd certainly give it a go, but my luck wasn't such; I'd start considering indy shops unless you want to pay full service-center costs for the swap.

Either way, I hope the best for you and your car. They're incredible machines and one heck of a hoot to drive, even if their dealers are still dealers

Cheers!
@ebirck thanks a lot for your quick and kind reply. It's okay, it's a common issue of the 987.2s with DFI. I will find a way to sort it out, will go to the dealer in the next few days and see what they say
Sorry about your experience with the dealers, they do sound like crooks from your description and I don't think you received a fair treatment. Happy you found some indies that work better!

Quick Reply: 987.2 Engine issues after rear control module reprogram