Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche PCCM+ for 987 cars! Coming soon.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 10:53 AM
Kbasa
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by palestar
It has regular CarPlay/Android Auto, just no wireless version. Personally a backup camera on a car this small is a bit redundant, but to each their own!
I installed an Atoto A6 Android head unit in my 987.1 last year and the backup camera is a huge help. It was all of $250 and the camera was $40. It also has wireless CarPlay, so this factory unit is a step backwards in terms of functionality for me.

Solid pass. I don’t need a Porsche label on the stereo.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:36 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbasa
I installed an Atoto A6 Android head unit in my 987.1 last year and the backup camera is a huge help. It was all of $250 and the camera was $40. It also has wireless CarPlay, so this factory unit is a step backwards in terms of functionality for me.

What did you have to do to your Atoto to connect to the MOST based Porsche system? It appears from the manual that those Atoto units only offer analog output via RCA connectors.

Those analog-to-digital (MOST) conversion boxes?

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 05-23-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:54 PM
Kbasa
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
What did you have to do to your Atoto to connect to the MOST based Porsche system? It appears from the manual that those Atoto units only offer analog output via RCA connectors.

Those analog-to-digital (MOST) conversion boxes?
I have the non Bose stereo, so I lucked out with a CDR24 and changer.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:13 PM
BWJones
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Has there been any additional information on a release date?
Old 05-23-2022, 05:28 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I have the non Bose stereo, so I lucked out with a CDR24 and changer.

I think you've answered an important question to why someone would spend the extra money for a Porsche designed unit for their cars. Integration.
The following users liked this post:
Kbasa (05-27-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 05:31 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BWJones
Has there been any additional information on a release date?
It's appears the testing was completed as of February. I haven't found anything on when the unit begins full scale manufacturing.

If I remember from past press releases, this unit was supposed to have been released last year. I'm sure global shortages of semiconductors may have had an impact.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:10 PM
tenaciousD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m definitely in the “will buy” camp for this. I hope they can make it available soon. It’s a great way to update these cars that lack the more modern amenities. I’ve thought about the aftermarket route but since my car has the Bose system it’s more than I wanted to get into.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:06 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I find with these type of units, you get what you pay for.
The following 2 users liked this post by bxstrCA:
edmfperez (07-20-2022), ekam (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 02:31 PM
McSwine
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tenaciousD
I’m definitely in the “will buy” camp for this. I hope they can make it available soon. It’s a great way to update these cars that lack the more modern amenities. I’ve thought about the aftermarket route but since my car has the Bose system it’s more than I wanted to get into.
I have a non-PCM/CDR-30 Bose system in my '09 Boxster...forgive me for asking but will this new unit play nice with it? Will it still utilize the Bose amp?
Old 05-25-2022, 04:02 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by McSwine
I have a non-PCM/CDR-30 Bose system in my '09 Boxster...forgive me for asking but will this new unit play nice with it? Will it still utilize the Bose amp?
If the 987/997 version of the PCCM+ is similar in capability like the 996/986 version, then it will work with non-MOST based cars that don't have separate analog amplifiers. The current PCCM+ offers speaker level analog output straight from the head unit to power speakers. The only problem 996 users have is the pre-MOST analog systems with a frunk amp. In the past, the so called "HI-FI" Porsche/Becker systems were fed a LINE-LEVEL analog output from the head unit. Unfortunately, this is not supported by the current PCCM+. Therefore, users are having to use HI/LO conversion boxes to get the signal to the analog amplifiers. Does your CDR-30 feed an amplifier in the frunk?
Old 05-25-2022, 04:15 PM
McSwine
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If the 987/997 version of the PCCM+ is similar in capability like the 996/986 version, then it will work with non-MOST based cars that don't have separate analog amplifiers. The current PCCM+ offers speaker level analog output straight from the head unit to power speakers. The only problem 996 users have is the pre-MOST analog systems with a frunk amp. In the past, the so called "HI-FI" Porsche/Becker systems were fed a LINE-LEVEL analog output from the head unit. Unfortunately, this is not supported by the current PCCM+. Therefore, users are having to use HI/LO conversion boxes to get the signal to the analog amplifiers. Does your CDR-30 feed an amplifier in the frunk?
Sadly, I don't know if the amp is in the frunk or not, but I'm fairly sure there is an amp. If this isn't plug & play I'll probably end up going with a Kenwood or Sony or something like that to get new (& cheaper) tech.

ZuffenZeus (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 05:52 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Clarification: The non-PCM/CDR-30 Bose is a MOST system so the PCCM+ will need to be MOST compatible.

Last edited by HalV; 05-25-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:07 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 305 Posts

For those of you concerned about not having wireless Carplay/Android Auto, there's the Motorola MA1 adapter which turns any wired connection into wireless.
Julian_KCMO (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 11:55 PM
tenaciousD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I jumped to the conclusion that it would work with MOST based systems. If that's not the case then I guess I'm SOL with the Bose. That sucks.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:51 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm not as savvy about this as most of you,

My '07 Boxster S has Bose, the amp is in the back of the roll bar hoops. Will this work/plug and play with my standard system? All I have is the radio/CD unit.

To tell the truth, all I'd really want in the Boxster is a satellite radio, though Android Auto would be nice. Was there ever a Sirius box that worked with this gen Boxster?

Quick Reply: Porsche PCCM+ for 987 cars! Coming soon.