Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safari / Rally Caymans

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 07:16 PM
SagebrushH6
7th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Safari / Rally Caymans

Something weird is going on - there are two "Safari" 987s for sale right now, one on PCarMarket and another at Porsche of Oklahoma City. The latter has a 2" lift from Eurowise, who I guess does Cayenne overlanding fabrication as well. Not sure about their solution as it seems to just pushing the upper mounting location down via spacer. Anyway, this has me looking at my 987S and seeing a mid engine rally car when I squint real hard.

Ive searched around and found some 987s being used in tarmac rally in the UK, but I live in the Pacific Northwest of the US and would be looking to get more into dirt / gravel rallycross through NWRA. This has me thinking the minimum to get the car ready would be skids, tires, maybe an X51 pan for good measure. A more hardcore build would mean lifting, Quaife or Wavetrac LSD, bumpers, custom valving or adjustable dampers, etc. Could be a ton of fun for the brave and odd.

Anyone done any offroading in the Cayman? Would love to hear your experiences, theories, or get pointed to a shop with experience building them.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:50 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

While cool, this seems like something you'd only do if you had money to burn. There are actual quality setups for Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86 that aren't spacer kits which I'm sure would be way more cost effective than modding a 987. I've thought about doing this on FR-S but now even prices of those have gotten into the "that's real money" level.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:37 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,708 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisA
While cool, this seems like something you'd only do if you had money to burn.
Remember though, the need for internet clicks overrides the otherwise sensible application of cash...
Add a fake border to a tinted telephone pic of a 'safari' Porsche in your driveway; for sure to get the kiddies on MyFace all hot and THAT'S SICK DUDE!

Old 04-20-2022, 06:38 AM
CrisTSC
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Apart from the ones in the UK, there are a few other rally 987 Caymans in Europe (Cedric Lemaire and Wouter Ploeg are just two of them), but as far as I know all of them are in tarmac spec. Even so, they also have a slight lift, as even on tarmac rallies you will need to leave the road quite often in order to "cut".

But as many will tell you, there are many other better options, as far as costs but also performance. Any BMW E36/46 would most likely be a better option, or as KrisA said the GT86/BRZ platform is even better, as it is a modern platform that is also FIA homologated and it will be much easier to source parts.

If the 987 is the way to go, then contacting one of the guys that already build one would be of much assistance. You can also learn from Porsche themselves, as they make the rally 718 GT4 R-GT.

Here is one that was for sale not long ago: Porsche Cayman Maxi GT10

Last edited by CrisTSC; 04-20-2022 at 06:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SagebrushH6 (04-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Safari / Rally Caymans