Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duke’s Cayman S travelogue

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 05:26 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 305 Posts

Looks great. Thanks for the write up and super cool that you committed to the change. Also, interesting about the 987 part number... surprising to me as well although I didn't see the storage cubby in any 911 until later 997 RS cars. Very likely a unit created for the 987 Spyder then utilized throughout the lineup.
Old 10-26-2023, 03:25 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Latest updates

I have not posted in a while. I've done a bunch of smallish mods to my car, but I just haven't had time to post.

I have done every bit of work on my car myself except for the the below two items - replacing the OE silver logo with OE black and the two stone guards before the rear wheels.

I chose to have them done by a pro because I am fairly accomplished mechanically, but less so on the finesse required for laying down logos and PPF.

I did think that I could do it, but I ultimately decided to go the less risky route.

I went with the black because I liked the dark on dark vibe. It also connects to the black "Carrera" logo on the 3.2L 911s, and other vintage vintage Porsche models. To take just one example - there's a black "Turbo" logo on a 944 that graces the cover of the current issue Panorama. I think this is almost as cool!

Dark on dark vibe!

I don't have pics of the new stone guards because they're so transparent that you wouldn't see them :-)

Last edited by The Duke; 10-26-2023 at 08:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GLTHFJ60 (10-26-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 08:18 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

This afternoon I had the pleasure of exploring some of western New Jersey's twisty backroads with @fatmike . He's a cyclist and knows the local roads significantly better than me. While I have lived in NJ for 26 years, this NY born and bread motorhead has historically ignored every good thing that NJ has to offer. Today's trip, and the last three years of exploring the breadth and depth of the state's backroads, has shown me just how shortsighted I had been.

Mike contacted me in Sept because he saw that we were neighbors. We had planned to go driving for the last 3-4 weeks, but it's been too rainy. Today, was unseasonably warm - the perfect day to go out driving. We had both hoped to bring friends on the journey, but each had plans that they couldn't break.

We traveled approx 60 miles roundtrip, stopping only to snap the below photos and to get a late lunch at a very atmospheric cafe. As he knew the roads and I did not, he led and I followed. This allowed me to continuously marvel at what great looking cars these are. I also have the image of small trails of golden leaves swirling behind his car at various points during the journey.

I did get the chance to sit in his cocoa leather Cayman and it's better IRL than it is in photos.

I had a great afternoon. I found Mike to be a passionate Porschephile and, more importantly, someone who is interested in the journey.

Last edited by The Duke; 10-29-2023 at 02:11 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by The Duke:
doworkexotics (10-28-2023), fatmike (10-28-2023), joliver3 (10-28-2023), tomhartzell (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 09:05 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 412 Likes on 258 Posts

Your exhaust rocks. I might need to do something about my stock exhaust...

I'm very impressed by the still new-to-me Cayman. So effortless. What impressed me the most is how the car stays poised even on the crazy elevation changes and the worst off camber spots.

Here's a crazy thought: Our little meet up of two cars represents ~1% of all of the 2010 Cayman S manuals in the US...

The Duke in action:

Nice day!

/

Last edited by fatmike; 10-29-2023 at 01:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fatmike:
doworkexotics (10-28-2023), joliver3 (10-28-2023), The Duke (10-29-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 10:40 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,708 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke
I went with the black because I liked the dark on dark vibe.
As did I as part of my deblinging program.
Looks great!

It was however, a lesson in kerning for me, as though I eventually got it mm perfect, it looks off center.
I realized after, maybe 2mm to the right was required to accommodate the kerning for the 'S'.

Originally Posted by The Duke

Awesome!
Thanks for the pics.

I love this area of the US, and indeed some roads are just fantastic.
Pity I was in a Camaro last time, and not a Cayman...
The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
fatmike (10-28-2023), The Duke (10-29-2023)

Quick Reply: Duke’s Cayman S travelogue