Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent door lock/window drop issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 01:03 PM
hheavykevy
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Intermittent door lock/window drop issue

I searched but have not found anything that exactly mimics my problem.

Good morning all! First poster here.

I have a 2005 987.1 S with 84k miles on it and am having some issues with the passenger side door.

I initially noticed over time that the passenger window would not drop 10mm each time the door was opened. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn’t. I consistently find that the window is hitting the convertible top plastic frame up at the top of the window. Other times, it would work just fine.

The other day, I was trying to lock my car with the fob in the garage so the kids don’t get in and play. I was standing near the passenger side and couldn’t tell if I hit the button one too many times, so testing the handle I noticed it was unlocked. So I hit the button again and heard the locks cycle, but the door was still unlocked (at this point I’m not sure if I’m locking or unlocking the car, but I know the passenger side isn’t locking with the cycles). So I go back around the driver’s side and find that side is indeed locking and unlocking as normal. At this point, when I cycled the locks to lock, I did not hear any sound from the passenger lock. When I cycled to unlock, I heard 3 clicks from the passenger lock. Each time I locked the car again, no sound, no cycling from the passenger door. Each time I unlocked? It clicked 3 times as if it was trying to unlock but was confused.

With all my research, I decided it was probably the door lock actuator. I removed the door panel, breaking the top nubbin off the door handle assembly in the process, only time find a whole new panel underneath I would have to remove to visualize the lock actuator.

As I was removing the inner panel, the door locks actuated because I accidentally pulled the door lock cable, and the window came down and everything was working fine.

Im at a stop now, and at a loss for what to do. I’m finding the 987.1 is not talked about much in repair sites and videos online, so it’s not as easy to diagnose.

Can anybody give suggestions as far as where to go from here as far as troubleshooting?
The following users liked this post:
sasilverbullet (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 09:36 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 413 Posts

When you have changing symptoms, go back to the start. Occasionally the window won't go down a little when you open the door.
Two possibilities:
1. The actual motor for the window, which has the logic that brings the window down a little
2. The signal from the door handle is not making it to the window motor

If it was my car I'd get a new motor first, not hard to replace, since you already have the outer panel off. If that doesn't fix it, don't know for sure, but I'd recommend you go over to the 996 Forum and search there. I agree that this forum is a little "light" on how to fix things. The 996 Forum on the other hand is a very busy forum with lot's of good posts. There's a lot of shared components from the 996 to the 987.
The following users liked this post:
SteveG (11-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Intermittent door lock/window drop issue