Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

Phone mount and Cup holder

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2022 | 07:59 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hokie987.1
Yes, I understand that you have to manually open the cup holder to hold larger cups. Here are pics of two insulated mugs that I have (yes, the garage is a mess!): the silver one (no name brand) fits somewhat and I can actually use it if I'm careful, but it does not insulate as well as the Contigo which is my preferred cup but it doesn't fit at all. I'll have to try the McDonalds cups, but I know that 7-11 cups do not work. Just too loose.
Hmm... maybe the 987.1 ones are different (mine is a 987.2). In mine, you can see the cup sits lower and the clip section opens up and clicks to various sizes... so I'm guessing I may not have the "too loose" situation you mention? i don't go to 7-11 *don't even know if there is one around me!)... so I can't do a direct test for you.

I just had a Subway large cup in there today - no issues. This cup is larger than the McD's and holds more (I had the McD's from yesterday and it fit inside the Subway one, but this didn't work the other way around).

My wife's cup is this one, I believe: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B085RD64Q3/
Old 01-04-2022 | 09:23 PM
Hokie987.1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schwinn
Hmm... maybe the 987.1 ones are different (mine is a 987.2). In mine, you can see the cup sits lower and the clip section opens up and clicks to various sizes... so I'm guessing I may not have the "too loose" situation you mention? i don't go to 7-11 *don't even know if there is one around me!)... so I can't do a direct test for you.

I just had a Subway large cup in there today - no issues. This cup is larger than the McD's and holds more (I had the McD's from yesterday and it fit inside the Subway one, but this didn't work the other way around).

My wife's cup is this one, I believe: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B085RD64Q3/
No, I doubt the 987.2 design is different. There's room for the cups to sit deeper but they are just too large in diameter. The silver one's base slips through but it flares out so it only goes in about half way, and the flared design makes it prone to rocking since the base doesn't seat far enough.

The one your wife has looks like it will fit better. Based on the listing it has roughly the same base diameter as my silver mug, but doesn't appear to flare out as quickly so maybe that makes it seat better. I just ordered this one based on price and reviews - one of the answered questions says the base diameter is 2.5" (slightly smaller than my silver mug) and the body looks pretty much straight with little flaring.
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-04-2022 | 10:40 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

I actually use the left most 987 cupholder as my phone mount, as is. My iphone slides in, then i close the cup holder claws tight around the phone. It's not perfect (phone does face me directly, front claw is in the way a bit), but since it's not my daily driver it's actually quite a simple soln when I do need to use the phone for navigation or music. (Of course, this doesn't solve the holding the cup problem).
Old 01-05-2022 | 09:07 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hokie987.1
No, I doubt the 987.2 design is different. There's room for the cups to sit deeper but they are just too large in diameter. The silver one's base slips through but it flares out so it only goes in about half way, and the flared design makes it prone to rocking since the base doesn't seat far enough.

The one your wife has looks like it will fit better. Based on the listing it has roughly the same base diameter as my silver mug, but doesn't appear to flare out as quickly so maybe that makes it seat better. I just ordered this one based on price and reviews - one of the answered questions says the base diameter is 2.5" (slightly smaller than my silver mug) and the body looks pretty much straight with little flaring. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CX6V4NQ...hk_typ_imgToDp
I measured my wife's cup for you and here's what I see for dimensions:

As you noted, it's basically a straight taper from the bottom up...
Old 01-06-2022 | 12:15 AM
Hokie987.1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schwinn
I measured my wife's cup for you and here's what I see for dimensions:

As you noted, it's basically a straight taper from the bottom up...
Woah, my Contigo measures 2.75" at the base and it will not fit in my cupholder! Maybe the 987.2 is in fact larger. I'll report back when I get the new one that I ordered.
Old 01-09-2022 | 07:57 PM
Hokie987.1
Advanced

My new cup came in today and this one fits much better. It measures 2-5/8" diameter at the base. The only question is can you lock the cup holder position? While the cup fits great, it is very easy to expand the holder one or two clicks more to the maximum width. If you hit a bump or something it could happen by accident and allow the cup to flop over.

Old 01-10-2022 | 07:25 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Looks good!

My 987.2 holder does click, and it doesn't lock into place (if it did, you couldn't put it back into the closed position). As for it opening by itself, I don't believe that would happen... it doesn't seem that loose on my car. I haven't been extra crazy when driving with a large cup, but it never seemed to be "close" to moving.

One more comment, if you don't close the cupholder door, the arm will swing around. Closing the door keeps this from happening. With that in mind, clearly I drove hard enough to have that happen, and yet the clicker didn't move.
Old 02-01-2022 | 04:24 PM
Bernie987
Advanced

Update: So I ordered and received an "ultimate cup holder" today. I'm not sure I got the right one. I ordered it for my Cayman, but what showed up is generic, friction fit thing. I have emailed the company asking to get it swapped out the the correct one for my Cayman, with directions, and hardware to attach it.

Anyone else have this experience?
Old 02-01-2022 | 04:34 PM
zuch
Instructor

No hardware. It just tucks up under the trim in the footwell. I have had mine for a few years. Works great.
The following 2 users liked this post by zuch:
Miggytosh (02-01-2022), tomhartzell (02-01-2022)
Old 02-03-2022 | 09:01 AM
Robert Nixon
Racer

Here's a drink holder "tech tip" from the SnapOn Tools people:LIF

DUCT TAPE DRINK HOLDER

Keep a roll of duct tape on the center floorboard in your vehicle. It works great as a cup holder and it's just sticky enough to stay put. When you need the roll, you'll know right where to find it.
The following users liked this post:
Snakebit (02-07-2022)
Old 02-03-2022 | 02:07 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

come on! be realistic.... those thermoses are designed to sit in the back of a quad cab 2500 pickup truck. you need a different car or a different thermos.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 02-03-2022 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2022 | 08:53 PM
Gatornapper
Racer

Thanks Tom - been looking for one for my 987.2 S - AND for my 914 and my 931.......if it will also fit in them as well as the Cayman, I'll order 2 more........

GN

Originally Posted by tomhartzell
I used one of the Ultimate Cupholders in my Cayman before selling it; it did a great job. (No affiliation with the company)
https://www.ultimatecupholders.com/index.html

Quick Reply: Phone mount and Cup holder