Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Cayman Clutch condition? Help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 10:41 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 2008 Cayman Clutch condition? Help please

Hi All, Happy Thanksgiving!!!! I have a 08 Cayman, base, I bought it with 106k on the clock, but I have no service history. Of course I serviced it fully, but I have had this nagging feeling about the clutch. It grabs about 50% of the way off the floor. I have tested it best that I can , which includes aggressive take off, lug the motor in higher gears then accelerate and so on. No it doesn't slip, and only chatters a hair on very low rpm take off in first. The high pedal makes me wonder though. I have considered leaving it alone until it gets bad,( or suddenly fails and leaves me stranded) but I can't escape the feeling that it may be way better if I replace it.
Can anyone give feedback on pedal position, or what to look for with a failing clutch on this model? I am not new to Porsche, but it seems each model has its own personality.

Thank you

Rich
Old 11-25-2021, 11:28 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 321 Posts

Interesting question. I rarely think about it but I went out just now and checked the clutch on my new to me 07 CS, with 91K and a documented clutch replacement around 75K. I would say that the grab point is around 50%. The side of my shoe is about even with the deadman pedal. There are a lot of variables. 105K freeway miles are pretty benign with respect to clutch wear. Obviously city driving is a lot worse.

It probably just boils down to your personal situation. If I were in collage, I'd just drive it to the failure point. If you've got the wherewithal to get it done now, there is some value to peace of mind.

BTW, in 2003 I special ordered two VW Passat Wagons from Germany with 5 speeds. I gave one to each of my twin daughters, in college at that time. I went for years thinking they would wear out the clutches but being young and poor, they never had a clutch job done. Fast forward about 2 years ago. They finally let go of the cars. Never had a clutch job. Never had a problem. You just never know.

Last edited by harveyf; 11-25-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:46 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

i would probably not assess the wear on a clutch by the travel of the pedal. most hydraulic clutches are still adjustable and so could be set just about anywhere. as long as a clutch does not slip under acceleration or have excess shudder i wouldn't worry about it. but if i couldn't sleep at night because i was worried about it, i guess i would just have it replaced.

currently i have three cars with manual transmissions. their clutches all engage at a different point in the pedal travel. i haven't had any clutch problems with any of them and the only thing preventing me from getting a good night's sleep is my enlarged prostate.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 11-25-2021 at 02:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TMc993 (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 10:19 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Just did the clutch in my ‘05 BS at about 100k miles. Developed intermittent shift problem, failure point turned out to be due to a single broken spline. Plenty of clutch plate material left. Might have gone another 30k miles. 🤷‍♂️
Old 11-25-2021, 11:27 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
Just did the clutch in my ‘05 BS at about 100k miles. Developed intermittent shift problem, failure point turned out to be due to a single broken spline. Plenty of clutch plate material left. Might have gone another 30k miles. 🤷‍♂️
very reassuring. hoping it was the first clutch. thanks.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:24 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Thank you for the replies. I own 2 vehicles with manual trans. Yes they grab at different points. No, i don't stay up at night about it, but I do think about it from time to time. This car doesn't appear to have been abused, no does it seem to have been fully babied either. It really runs and drives great, but 106k ( now 110K) on an original clutch seems very long. If I knew the clutch were replaced at some point, I would just forget it. Thinking it may be original makes me think its time. Even with reasonable driving. Does anyone have a high mileage car, that they know when the clutch was replaced so I can possibly gauge it better?

Ty

Rich
Old 11-26-2021, 10:48 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

The four stages of clutch deterioration from a driver's perspective:
  1. A-h-h-h-h! - Everything is smooth and seamless. So much so that you often aren't aware that your changing gears.
  2. H-m-m-m-m... - Every now and then you notice your starts from standing are a little off or you feel a random vibration or grinding of gears when shifting.
  3. Uh-oh... - The random issues; slippage, grinding, odd noises; become regular and predictable, so much so that you consciously attempt to "drive around" them.
  4. Crap!!! - The moment you realize that, no, this isn't a problem that's going to fix itself and it's time to schedule the clutch replacement with your shop.
A reliable and honest shop should be able to determine if yours is on it's way out or not. The last time I had a clutch changed out, the first sign was when my shop returned my car to me after an oil change with a notation on the invoice that stated that my clutch was exhibiting the first signs of wear (I hadn't even noticed it). It lasted another 4000 miles before I bit the bullet and had it replaced.

Last edited by TMc993; 11-26-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:07 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
very reassuring. hoping it was the first clutch. thanks.
Pretty sure it was original clutch. I got the car about 6 years ago with 28k miles on the clock. Clutch showed so little wear when we did the IMS bearing that we elected to leave it alone.

Another data point for me was my 968, which let go on the clutch / dual-mass flywheel at about 135k miles. But by that time, that car had started it's CR career. Not a 987, but similar power with dual-mass flywheel.

My current thinking is that if you're north of 80k miles, you've gotten your money's worth and if you are taking it apart for any other reason... I'd consider putting a fresh clutch in.

That said, we had an 02' Jetta that got smashed by another driver. It was going on 200k miles with original clutch. Who knows, right?
Old 11-26-2021, 02:57 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

truth is, with as many miles as you've put on it (and it's more than likely it's the original clutch and UNlikely the PO replaced it before you got it at 28K), it will soon wear out soon no matter what. no real waste of money to put one on now, unless you plan on selling it "as is' in the near future.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayman Clutch condition? Help please